Pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting is a simple favorite that we have to make at least once every Fall. It’s such a classic that it’s hard to go wrong with this simple, moist cake. The cream cheese frosting tops it off perfectly.
I’ve been married for nearly 20 years and it was just within the last few years that I finally discovered the secret to getting my husband to eat cake.
Yes. I basically have to force the man to eat cake. I don’t know what’s wrong with him either.
Anyway, the secret to getting him excited about cake is simple: cream cheese frosting.
He doesn’t like buttercream (I’m not sure why I married him, to be honest), but the man loves cream cheese frosting.
This pumpkin cake recipe was a total hit with him thanks to the dreamy layer of cream cheese frosting!
Of course, I don’t really mind when he doesn’t eat cake – more for me!
How to make pumpkin cake:
To start, we’re going to beat together oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until nice and creamy and pale yellow.
You’ll mix in some pumpkin, of course. I love this gorgeous orange cake!
Next up, you’ll add your dry ingredients. Just standard stuff: flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and a little salt.
Spread the cake batter into a 9×13 baking dish and bake for about 40 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
Let the cake cool completely before frosting.
How to make cream cheese frosting:
This is such a simple cream cheese frosting recipe and it turns out perfect everytime.
Add room temperature cream cheese and butter to a mixing bowl along with some vanilla and powdered sugar.
Beat together on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
Who knew cream cheese frosting was so easy?
Frost your cake and dig right in!
I thought about sprinkling some pecans on top of this, but ultimately decided to just go with a little bit of ground cinnamon. Either one would be delicious!
More cake recipes you’ll love:
Eclair Cake: This is a no bake recipe that has been a favorite of mine for years!
Pumpkin Crunch Cake: If you’ve never made this one, you’re going to what to head to the kitchen right now.
Peanut Butter Sheet Cake: If you love peanut butter, I insist you make this immediately!
Pumpkin Coffee Cake: One of the more popular recipes on my site – get a load of all that streusel.
Banana Coffee Cake: I could eat this one for breakfast every morning and never tire of it.
Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
For the cake
- 4 large eggs
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 15 ounces pumpkin
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the cream cheese frosting
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Add the eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla to a large mixing bowl and beat together on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Stir in the pumpkin.
- Add the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the bowl and beat together until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely before frosting.
For the frosting
- To make the frosting, add the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar to a large mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Spread frosting over cake.
- Cut into 12 slices and serve.