PUMPKIN CREAM CHEESE MUFFINS are the perfect Fall breakfast – sweetly spiced tender pumpkin muffins with a surprise filling of cream cheese. Who wouldn’t love biting into one (or two!) of these little pumpkin muffins?
I’ve gotten a few emails from readers over the last week or so after they see one of my pumpkin recipes asking why I don’t share pumpkin all year.
After all, pumpkin is a healthy food that’s low in calories and it tastes good regardless of the season.
I mean, I couldn’t agree more. I actually bake pumpkin pies throughout the year when the craving hits.
If you’ve never been a food blogger, you’ve never experienced the anger that gets sent your way when you share an “out of season” recipe and people firmly believe that pumpkin season is September through November.
I sneak them in in August to a lot of “it’s too early” replies, but I’m sorry, I can’t wait any longer.
So, don’t yell at me, I might be early, but LOOK! Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins!
How to make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins:
We’re going to start by creaming together our butter and sugar until it’s light and creamy. This helps incorporate air into the muffin so it’s light and fluffy instead of dry and dense.
Beat in your buttermilk, eggs, and pumpkin.
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, use a 1/2 cup of milk + a couple teaspoons of vinegar. Let it set in the measuring cup for 5 minutes to sour. Boom – instant buttermilk!
Next comes the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, and pumpkin pie spice!
Stir that in by hand. Don’t overmix or your muffins will be tough.
Stir together some softened cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla for the cream cheese filling.
Drop a tablespoon or two of muffin batter into the wells of a lined muffin tin and then top it off with the cream cheese.
Cover the cream cheese with the remaining batter and pop these guys into the oven.
These pumpkin muffins bake in about 25 minutes.
Let cool a bit before digging in!
More pumpkin recipes to try:
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread: So moist and studded with bits of chocolate!
Pumpkin Pancakes: The perfect start to a chilly morning!
Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars: These look so impressive, but they’re really easy!
Pumpkin Crunch Cake: Everyone’s FAVORITE pumpkin recipe!
Pumpkin Coffee Cake: Wait til you see that streusel!
Pumpkin Muffins with Cream Cheese Filling
For the muffins:
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the cream cheese filling:
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugars until creamy.
- Beat in pumpkin, buttermilk, and eggs.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl and mix into the batter. Stir just until combined. Set aside.
- Combine the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Grease or line a muffin tin with papers and drop one to two tablespoons of the batter into each muffin cup.
- Drop one teaspoon of the filling in each muffin cup.
- Add one more tablespoon of batter to each muffin cup to cover the filling.
- Bake for 24-27 minutes or until baked through. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
This post was originally published in September 2012. It’s been updated with new photos and a video in August 2019.
Leave a Review