MILLIONAIRE SHORTBREAD tastes like a grown-up version of a Twix candy bar. Buttery shortbread, a thick layer of sweet caramel, and a simple chocolate topping. These are perfect for holiday cookie trays or any time of the year!
Y’all, would you believe that my mama doesn’t like caramel?
I mean…who doesn’t like CARAMEL?? <— Don’t tell me if that’s you…I don’t think I can handle knowing more people are out there, just wandering around this world aimlessly hating on caramel.
Anyway, I obviously love caramel. What’s not to like about it, after all? It’s basically the nectar of the gods, if you ask me.
Millionaire Shortbread takes all the goodness of caramel, smears it over some buttery shortbread, and then tops it off with chocolate. I like to do a sprinkle of sea salt on top for extra oomph, but you can skip that part if it’s not your thing.
How to make millionaire shortbread:
In the bowl of a stand mixer beat together butter, sugar, and flour until crumbly.
Press this mixture evenly into a 9×9 baking dish.
Bake this for 20 minutes at 350 degrees F.
How to make the caramel:
Add butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and condensed milk to a medium sauce pan set over medium heat.
Bring this mixture to a boil and you will need to stir it often. You need to boil this for 5 minutes. And be careful – melted sugar is hot hot hot.
Remove the caramel from the heat and stir vigorously for 3 minutes.
Put it all together to make them “Millionaire”!
Pour the caramel over your shortbread layer. The shortbread can be warm or cool for this step.
Sprinkle salt over the caramel. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top and return to the oven for 1 minute. The chocolate chips will hold their shape, so don’t keep them in longer waiting on them to melt.
Spread the melted chocolate chips over the caramel with an offset spatula.
Cool this in the fridge for an hour before cutting it to serve.
We like to keep these in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They’re cold and thick and rich and just perfect for grabbing from the fridge.
However, if you prefer softer caramel, you can store these millionaire shortbread bars on the counter for up to 5 days tightly closed.
More sweets & treats:
For the shortbread:
- 2/3 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups flour
For the caramel:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
For the chocolate topping:
- pinch flaky sea salt optional
- 1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
- To make the shortbread, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, sugar and flour until crumbly.
- Press into a 9×9 baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- To make the caramel, add the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and condensed milk to a medium sauce pan set over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often, and continue boiling for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir vigorously for 3 minutes.
- Pour caramel over the shortbread layer. It doesn't matter if the shortbread is warm or cool at this point.
- Sprinkle the salt over the caramel.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top and return to the oven for 1 minute.
- Spread the chocolate chips over the caramel with an offset spatula.
- Cool in the refrigerator for 1 hour before cutting and serving.