SHORTBREAD COOKIE BARS all dressed up for Christmas! These shortbread bars are so thick, buttery, and just the perfect amount of sweet.
Every year my kids and I make giant batches of Christmas cookies to share with friends and family.
We usually do a combination of old favorites and new recipes…the problem is that the new recipes usually become old favorites and our list of ‘must make cookies’ grows every year. 😉
Our baking day gets longer and longer, but we haven’t received any complaints yet about the growing assortment of goodies we pass out. Haha!
One of the ways I like to speed up the process is to make bar cookies.
Bar cookies are great because you spread the dough into one pan and bake it all at once. You don’t need to do a bunch of scooping and baking up multiple cookie sheets.
This post contains affiliate links.
Shortbread is traditionally made with one part sugar, two parts butter, and three parts flour.
I like to add in a bit of cornstarch to help keep that sandy shortbread texture.
When an all wheat dough gets overworked (which is easy to do!), the cookies get a bit tough. Adding in cornstarch helps prevent that.
We dress them up for Christmas with a hefty dose of red and green sprinkles.
You can make these shortbread cookies thick or thin! We normally bake these in a 10×15 rimmed baking sheet for about 40 minutes.
Today, I’m sharing a thicker version that was baked in a 9×13. You’ll want to bake them an extra 5-10 minutes, just until the edges are golden brown.
However you bake these, thick or thin, they come out so perfect every time. I just love a simple shortbread recipe! Check out my cinnamon sugar shortbread too!
For sharing, I like to stock up on these cookie boxes. They’re budget friendly and friends don’t have to worry about returning them after they finish off their cookies. Plus they’re cute!
More Christmas treats to bake:
- Christmas Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Christmas Crack Recipe
- Christmas Crunch Bars
- Soft Ginger Cookies
- Butter Cookies
- Christmas Popcorn
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies
- Snowball Cookies
Christmas Shortbread Cookie Bars
- 2 cups butter room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Christmas sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the flour and cornstarch until well combined.
- For thick shortbread bars, pat dough into a 9×13 baking dish. Prick with a fork. For thinner shortbread bars, pat into an ungreased 10×15 rimmed baking sheet. Prick all over with a fork.
- Sprinkle the bars with sprinkles.
- Bake for 50 minutes (40 minutes for thinner bars) or until the edges are lightly golden and the cookie is set.
- Cut into squares while warm, but do not remove from pan until fully cooled.
Leave a Review