We did a thing this weekend. A thing that most of you will not approve of.
We decorated for Christmas.
Look. I know that Thanksgiving is still coming. I’m well aware. I love Thanksgiving! It’s delicious and warm and fuzzy and I celebrate it every year, just like most of you.
I just don’t decorate for it. By the time November rolls around, I’m over the pumpkins. I’m ready for the brightly colored trees and the magic of Christmas lights.
Don’t hate me, okay?
Anyway, this year I decided to get my boys in on the decorating fun for two reasons – 1.) I needed someone to carry all the heavy boxes for me and 2.) I’ve accumulated an entire storage room full of Christmas decor and putting it all up takes for. ev. er.
So, I needed reinforcements.
I plied my boys with Christmas goodies and they were happy to help! This is such a fun way to start the magic of the season together as a family!
What a delicious way to start the season!
These cereal bars are pretty similar to rice krispies treats, but I swapped in Chex cereal here. You can use corn or rice Chex.
You’ll melt your butter and marshmallows, pour in the cereal, and then add some red and green sprinkles and m&m candies. So easy and super festive!
My kids liked these even better than a traditional rice krispies treat and that’s saying a lot. We’re RKT fanatics around this house. I mean, have you tried my browned butter rice krispies treats?
They are my most popular recipe with friends and family. I bake cookies and brownies for a living and people are always requesting I bring rice krispies treats to get-togethers. Ha.
Anyway! I hope you guys enjoy these easy treats this year! Fa la la la la!
Should I come back in February with a Valentine’s version??
Christmas Crunch Cereal Bars
- 1/4 cup butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- 6 cups Chex cereal rice or corn variety
- 3/4 cup red and green m&m candies divided
- 2 tablespoons red and green nonpareils divided
- In a large stock pot, heat the butter and marshmallows until melted together, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the Chex cereal, 1 tablespoon of sprinkles, and half of the m&m candies, being careful not to break the cereal too much.
- Press the mixture into a parchment lined 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining sprinkles and candy over the top.
- Use a piece of wax paper sprayed with non-stick spray to press the cereal bars tightly into the pan.
- Let set for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.