This white chocolate Christmas popcorn makes a great foodie gift, but it’s also perfect to set out at your holiday parties!
My husband has this little love affair going on with popcorn, you guys.
He’s obsessed with the stuff.
It works out well for me, because I often get to skip cooking lunch by waving a bag of microwavable popcorn in his face. Also, he’ll totally watch all the girly movies with me if I mention popcorn with extra butter and salt.
And, uh, it’s not like I’m turning down popcorn either. 😉
I’m not sure where my husband first encountered popcorn drizzled with white chocolate, but I do remember him coming home and talking my head off about it, until I finally decided to give it a whirl in our house.
This recipe could not be easier, guys! And if you enjoy that sweet and salty mix, I can assure you that you’ll absolutely love this stuff! I don’t even like white chocolate, but I’m powerless to resist this popcorn.
How to Make Christmas Popcorn:
Pop: Microwave popcorn is the quickest and easiest way to make this, so just grab a bag of your favorite brand. If you are a popcorn purist and you want to put in the extra effort you can always cook it on the stove top, too!
When your popcorn is ready spread it on a parchment lined baking sheet to prepare for the next step.
Top: In a microwave safe bowl, add the white chocolate chips and the coconut oil (or shortening!) and melt together. Check it every 30 seconds and stir until smooth. When ready, spoon the chocolate mixture over the popcorn and then immediately top it with the sprinkles!
- Be sure to stir the chocolate very 30 seconds or it will burn.
- We used butter flavored shortening as that’s what we had on hand this time around. Coconut oil is a healthier option.
- For best results allow the chocolate to cool and harden over a couple of hours.
- Swap the white chocolate chips for colorful candy melts and get creative!
- Store at room temperature for up to 2-3 in an airtight container.
- Swap out the white chocolate for colorful candy melts to make this even more festive.
- Mix up your sprinkles to make this for any holiday!
- Package this up in cute containers to give as gifts.
White Chocolate Christmas Popcorn
- 1 bag microwave popcorn butter flavored
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil see notes
- red and green sprinkles
- Pop the popcorn according to package directions.
- Spread popcorn on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Add the white chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl and microwave until smooth and melted, stirring every 30 seconds. This took 1 minute 30 seconds in my microwave.
- Spoon white chocolate over the popcorn and immediately add sprinkles.
- Let sit until white chocolate has hardened, about 2 hours.
Tips & Notes:
This post was originally published in December 2016. It was updated with new photos and text in December 2020.
Leave a Review