This white chocolate Christmas popcorn recipe makes a great foodie gift, but it’s also perfect to set out at your holiday parties!
My husband has this little love affair going on with popcorn, you guys.
He’s obsessed with the stuff.
It works out well for me, because I often get to skip cooking lunch by waving a bag of microwavable popcorn in his face. Also, he’ll totally watch all the girly movies with me if I mention popcorn with extra butter and salt.
And, uh, it’s not like I’m turning down popcorn either. 😉
I’m not sure where my husband first encountered popcorn drizzled with white chocolate, but I do remember him coming home and talking my head off about it, until I finally decided to give it a whirl in our house.
This recipe could not be easier, guys! And if you enjoy that sweet and salty mix, I can assure you that you’ll absolutely love this stuff! I don’t even like white chocolate, but I’m powerless to resist this Christmas popcorn.
This recipe is similar to our Christmas Chex Mix and perfect for parties.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Popcorn – This is meant to be a quick and easy recipe so I’m just using butter flavored microwave popcorn. You can pop your own on the stove or in a popcorn maker if you want!
White Chocolate Chips – Everything about this recipe is pretty quick, easy, and cheap but if there is one ingredient that’s worth spending a little extra on it would be good quality white chocolate chips!
Coconut Oil – We use this to thin out the chocolate chips while they are melting, but you could also use butter or shortening. Butter is more likely to make the chocolate seize, so we try to avoid using it when possible.
Sprinkles – I’m using red and green sprinkles to turn this into a festive Christmas popcorn recipe. You shouldn’t have much difficulty finding them at this time of the year.
Other – This is a pretty easy recipe to modify if you want to mix in some extra goodies! Pretzels, red and green M&Ms, or colored candy melts would work too. Or try mixing in some homemade candied nuts!
What We Love About This WHITE CHOCOLATE POPCORN Recipe:
- Easy: This is a simple holiday dessert recipe especially if you use microwave popcorn! You can prepare the popcorn in no time at all and it’s easy and affordable to make in large batches for Christmas parties!
- Sweet & Salty: The sweet white chocolate flavor pairs really well with some salty, buttery popcorn! It just works. Adding pretzels is an easy way to get more of the salty sweet flavors going!
- Quick: You can start munching on this festive snack in about 15 minutes!
How to Make Christmas Popcorn:
Pop: Microwave popcorn is the quickest and easiest way to make this, so just grab a bag of your favorite brand. If you are a popcorn purist and you want to put in the extra effort you can always cook it on the stove top, too!
When your popcorn is ready spread it on a parchment lined baking sheet to prepare for the next step.
Top: In a microwave safe bowl, add the white chocolate chips and the coconut oil (or shortening!) and melt together. Check it every 30 seconds and stir until smooth. When ready, spoon the chocolate mixture over the popcorn and then immediately top it with the sprinkles!
- Be sure to stir the chocolate very 30 seconds or it will burn.
- We used butter flavored shortening as that’s what we had on hand this time around. Coconut oil is a healthier option.
- For best results allow the chocolate to cool and harden over a couple of hours.
- Swap the white chocolate chips for colorful candy melts and get creative!
- Store at room temperature for up to 2-3 in an airtight container.
- Mix up your sprinkles to make this for any holiday!
- Package this up in cute containers to give as gifts.
Pretty much exactly what it sounds like! Popcorn covered in sweet white chocolate. And with some red and green sprinkles it’s easily transformed into festive Christmas popcorn!
You can keep any leftover Christmas popcorn stored at room temperature in airtight container for about 2 to 3 days!
Nope, but it is quick and easy! You could pop your own on the stovetop or in a popcorn maker if you prefer. Feel free to use any variety of popcorn kernels too.
White Chocolate Christmas Popcorn
- 1 bag microwave popcorn butter flavored
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil see notes
- red and green sprinkles
- Pop the popcorn according to package directions.
- Spread popcorn on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Add the white chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl and microwave until smooth and melted, stirring every 30 seconds. This took 1 minute 30 seconds in my microwave.
- Spoon white chocolate over the popcorn and immediately add sprinkles.
- Let sit until white chocolate has hardened, about 2 hours.
Tips & Notes:
This post was originally published in December 2016. It was updated with new photos and text in December 2020.