Creamy Chicken and Rice made in just one skillet with minimal prep! This is the best way to get my kiddos to eat their spinach – it blends right in with the rice and they devour it all! This is a comfort food classic made extra easy.
I’m going to let you in on a dark and dirty secret from my past. Do you think you can handle this?
When I was a child, I used to put ketchup on white rice. And then I would eat it.
Whew. Glad I got that off my chest. That little secret has been eating away at me.
These days I’m more likely to serve up this creamy chicken and rice skillet. It’s a one dish dinner with minimal prep, an easy way to get veggies in my kids, and it is perfect for a weeknight!
👩🍳 Ingredient Notes:
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken Breast – You’ll be cutting the chicken into 1″ pieces. I prefer chicken breast in this recipe but you could also use chicken tenders or boneless thighs.
White Rice – I think some regular white rice or Basmati rice works best. You could use brown rice or other varieties but I’ve not tried it with them and the cook time would need to be adjusted.
Carrots – Some freshly diced carrots will add a little bit of color and flavor to this creamy chicken and rice!
Spinach – It’s nutritious and flavorful and just the sort of healthy ingredient you can sneak in that the kiddos aren’t likely to taste! You could probably sneak some frozen peas in there with it too if you want.
Chicken Stock – The rice is going to soak it all up and infuse that chicken flavor right into the rice!
Heavy Cream – You can be sure this creamy chicken and rice lives up to it’s name by adding some heavy cream. It’ll add the perfect creamy texture to the chicken and rice. Milk works too but it won’t be as creamy.
Seasoning – Just a simple mix of salt, pepper, and garlic powder!
What Readers are Saying!
“This was amazing! I love one pot meals! I doubled the recipe, absolutely perfect, will definitely make again!” – Crissy
Cast iron skillets are my favorite! They heat so evenly, get piping hot for searing, and nothing is better than bacon fried in a cast iron skillet.
🥘 How to Make One Pot Chicken and Rice:
Chicken: To start, you’ll want to heat a large, heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. I like to use my cast iron skillet for this.
Add in a bit of olive oil to the pan until it starts to shimmer and then toss in some chunks of seasoned chicken breasts.
Rice: Once the chicken is browned, you’ll add in your carrots, rice, and garlic along with some chicken broth.
Simmer: You’re going to let this cook for about 20 minutes. The liquid will have been absorbed into the rice so the rice is soft, fluffy, and just about ready to eat.
Spinach: Stir in some spinach and then cover the dish to let the spinach wilt a bit.
Finish: Remove the lid, stir in the cream, and that’s it, friends! Dinner is served!
This easy one pot chicken and rice recipe is beyond simple, so filling, and always a hit.
I always have heavy cream on hand for my coffee and for baking. I also use it in a lot of low carb recipes. However, I know many people don’t keep it on hand. Here is a handy list of substitutes for heavy cream.
🍽 What to Serve with Creamy Chicken and Rice:
You can prepare this easy chicken and rice dish as a whole meal, or serve it up with some tasty sides! We like to keep the sides fairly light. Here are some options:
- Bacon Wrapped Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Garlic Parmesan Asparagus
- Air Fryer Frozen Broccoli
- Ramen Noodle Salad
You can keep this creamy chicken and rice in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days. It’s best reheated in the microwave. You can also freeze it for up to a couple of months.
You could use milk instead but it will not be as creamy. Half and half, or yogurt could also work as a substitute.
MORE RICE RECIPES TO TRY!
- Spam Fried Rice: I don’t normally eat Spam, but it’s amazing in fried rice!
- Chicken and Rice with Broccoli: Just like this one, but with broccoli instead of spinach.
- Cauliflower Chicken Fried Rice: An excellent low carb option!
- Chicken and Rice Casserole: Toss it all in a dish and bake it!
- Bacon Fried Rice: My all time favorite!!
- Air Fryer Fried Rice: Making fried rice has never been easier with an air fryer!
- Greek Rice: With lemon and Greek seasoning flavor!
Creamy Chicken and Rice
- 1 pound chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Season the chicken with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add the olive oil to a large, deep skillet over medium heat and heat until shimmering.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook, stirring often, until chicken is browned on the outside, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, carrots, garlic, and chicken broth to the pan and stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cover pan. Cook for 20 minutes or until liquid has evaporated and rice is tender. Stir halfway through cooking.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the spinach . Stir to combine. Cover the pan and let sit for 5 minutes to wilt the spinach.
- Stir in the cream and taste for seasoning. Add additional salt, if desired. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes:
This recipe was originally published in 2019. It was updated with new photos in 2022.