Peanut Butter Brownies

I apologize for what I’m about to do to all you skinny girls on diets. Your thighs and hips and butt and waist will never be the same. It’s my fault. I’m a naughty girl. I can’t hide this recipe from you though. It’s just too good to keep to myself.

Besides, if I have to gain 500lbs eating these Peanut Butter Brownies, so do you. It’s the law. My law. And, okay, so I don’t have the authority to make laws, but I’m pretty bossy, so you should just listen to me and make these brownies.

I, for one, had never seen peanut butter brownies before I came across this recipe. Sure, there are tons of recipes with peanut butter cups or peanut butter added to regular brownies, but these guys are made from a peanut butter base. And, yes, there are a few peanut butter cups thrown in for good measure.  We wouldn’t want to eat responsibly or anything, would we?

I should mention that the batter for this is very thick. Don’t be scared. It won’t hurt you. I promise.

And, because chopping up peanut butter cups and putting them in the batter just isn’t enough, the next step is removing the brownies from the oven and squishing more peanut butter cups all over the top. Just do it. Don’t question me. Mama knows best.

That’s my son up there. You see that deep, soulful gaze of his? Wondering what he’s thinking so intently about? It’s these brownies. I’m sure of it.

Peanut Butter Brownies
Recipe from bettycrocker.com

• 1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 36 mini peanut butter cups (Reese’s are the best!)
  • 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom of 9×13 inch baking dish.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and eggs until well blended. Mix in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Cut 12 peanut butter cups into quarters and gently stir into brownie batter along with the chocolate chips. Spread into baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a tester comes out fairly clean.

Remove from oven and immediately press remaining peanut butter cups into the top of the brownies in even rows. Allow to cool before cutting and serving.

43 Responses to “Peanut Butter Brownies”

1. Tina from PA May 5, 2010 @ 7:35 pm (#

I love your laws, you get my vote ! I have to make these brownies , they are calling my name. How handsome is your son ? [ TOO CUTE!!] Thank you for sharing a great recipe .

2. ashley May 5, 2010 @ 8:42 pm (#

Yum!! These sound amazing! I may just have to make them this weekend.

3. Ashley May 6, 2010 @ 12:04 am (#

Wow hello deliciousness!! I remember trying to make peanut butter brownies before but got halfway through and realized I didn’t have enough eggs. I love that there are peanut butter cups chopped up and in the brownie as well as on top. And that it’s not a chocolate based brownie so I guess it’s a peanut butter blondie. Yum!

4. Simone May 6, 2010 @ 12:51 am (#

As one of those sad people on a diet I am in favor of your laws! Lol… Love those cookies and that photo of your son is great! I might wait a bit with making these cookies though…:)

5. Regan May 6, 2010 @ 3:48 am (#

The hubs is a PB fanatic… can’t wait to try these out on him!

6. shelly (cookies and cups) May 6, 2010 @ 6:33 am (#

really? you’re just mean.
    i guess I will have to make them now…
    mean.

7. Lea May 6, 2010 @ 6:48 am (#

OMG! Can’t wait to try these! They look fabulous!
    Love the picture!

Question – when you make cookies (say chocolate chip) what do you store them in? Every time I make cookies, it seems that by the next day they don’t seem as fresh and are a little stale.

8. HaB May 6, 2010 @ 6:56 am (#

This recipe for sure will be in the need to make ASAP pile!

9. Karly May 6, 2010 @ 7:21 am (#

Lea,

I usually just store cookies in ziploc baggies. My husband inevitably leaves the bag open after getting a cookie out though, so I’m not sure how effective the bag method really is. ;) I do have these fun jars with suction-y type lids that work wonderfully, but I keep my flour and sugar in those. I got them for super cheap at TJ Maxx or Marshall’s and they would work great for cookies…if your husband is a good boy and remembers to put the lid on the jar.

Karly

10. Natalie (The Sweets Life) May 6, 2010 @ 10:13 am (#

wow. wow wow wow. can’t remember if i have pb cups still in my freezer, but if i do, these are getting made this weekend!!!!!!!

11. Margaret May 6, 2010 @ 10:49 am (#

OMW those look FANTASTIC!! We all love PB here. Oh, with reeces pieces in them…… and cups on top. OVER the top!! And well worth the 500lbs.

I AM a law abiding citizen.

12. grace May 6, 2010 @ 2:54 pm (#

of course reese’s are the best! there is no substitution when it comes to peanut butter cups. these bars are worth every calorie, and that’s that. :)

13. Amie aka MammaLoves May 6, 2010 @ 2:55 pm (#

I love you so much I can never hate you, but seriously?! I want one right. this. minute!

Bookmarking to bake later.

14. MamaBug May 6, 2010 @ 6:27 pm (#

*Groan* why? why, Karly, why?! It’s almost bathing suit season and I think this recipe will be the reason I need to go buy the suit with the skirt to hide my butt.
    My big ol’ peanut-butter-brownie-butt-by-Karly.
    ;)

15. Jim-49 May 6, 2010 @ 7:33 pm (#

There aren’t any ” skinny girls on diets”,around here,just me and the dog now,so bring it on!! These look so good,”Hey”,maybe I can use these for Skinny girl bait,here awhile back,I saw some boy bait!! I will have to give them a try,can’t never tell,one might show up.Love the site and cooking!!

16. Lori May 6, 2010 @ 9:51 pm (#

Oh, these sound really good! I might wait until Sunday afternoon to make them, and then send most of them to work with hubby. I don’t have any Reese’s cups, though. I’ll need to go buy some. How sad for me!
    ~~Lori

17. Kristen May 8, 2010 @ 8:20 am (#

These look amazing! Just a note, I was reading the recipe (trying to figure out whether I had everything to make these RIGHT NOW), and it looks like the post doesn’t include when you actually add the peanut butter. I found the full directions on the bettycrocker website, but I thought you might want to adjust the directions since we wouldn’t want to deny anyone any peanut buttery goodness. Thank you so much for posting this recipe; I’m already in bliss just thinking about these brownies!

18. malin May 9, 2010 @ 1:43 pm (#

…If you say so! ;)

19. Lea May 10, 2010 @ 9:05 am (#

I made them and we LOVED them. I would add more peanut butter next time…and maybe more pb cups (and only half them instead of quarter them) in the batter. I made them Saturday afternoon and they are gone as of this morning! YUM! :)

20. Barbara May 10, 2010 @ 9:29 am (#

OMG Karly! That third photo with the Reese’s sticking out of the batter nearly did me in! No wonder your son has the dreamy “I’m thinking about Mom’s brownies” look.
    Calories? I’m not going to think about it!

21. Deeters May 11, 2010 @ 1:37 pm (#

I sent the picture to my husband – an original peanut butter nut – and his reply:
    “Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em Make em”
    So I guess I will.

22. joanne May 11, 2010 @ 2:46 pm (#

well, howdy do, these look yummy!! i love your great BIG pictures! i almost feel like i am there!! hahaha thanks for sharing…joanne

23. Jess May 12, 2010 @ 9:58 am (#

I made these to take to a birthday gathering for a friend… people were actually getting territorial over them. These are AMAZING!!!!

24. Marsha May 13, 2010 @ 8:33 am (#

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I made them last night and they are as yummy as they look in your pictures.

25. Donya May 14, 2010 @ 8:46 pm (#

Loved this recipe! It was a hit with everyone!!

26. kristine May 15, 2010 @ 5:25 pm (#

I made these brownies for our Mother’s Day family party, they were a HUGE hit. You know they are good when your husband say’s hes getting a cavity looking at them :)

27. Danae (The Busty Baker) May 16, 2010 @ 4:12 pm (#

You just gave me the tools to become the best girlfriend EVER. My boyfriend eats peanut butter out of a jar and calls it dinner, so I can’t wait to make these for him! Hmm. Or better yet, I could use them as a bribe of some sort…

28. Rebekah May 16, 2010 @ 6:06 pm (#

These are toooooooooooo Sinful! I cannot wait to make them!

29. Maria May 16, 2010 @ 8:28 pm (#

I want one with a tall glass of milk! YUM!

30. Nikki (Pennies on a Platter) May 17, 2010 @ 8:18 pm (#

These are way too tempting! Not good for someone trying to lose baby weight! :) Mmmmmmm!!!!

Cute blog, btw!

31. Annie May 22, 2010 @ 7:02 pm (#

Yum!! The only direction I didn’t follow was “Allow to cool before cutting and serving.” Who has the patience to wait when there are warm brownies to be had?! Thanks for the recipe. :-)

32. Steve May 28, 2010 @ 2:59 am (#

33. Amie May 31, 2010 @ 9:38 am (#

I’m not sure what I could have done differently, but I found them to be dry and devoid of the peanut butter flavor I was craving, sadly, as I love peanut butter!

34. Mrsblocko June 29, 2010 @ 9:37 am (#

I made these and wrote about them here: http://tomatoesforapples.blogspot.com/2010/06/peanut-butter-blondies.html

Thanks for the awesome recipe. I’ll definately be making them again!

35. Isabel July 20, 2010 @ 7:25 am (#

I’ve been wanting to make peanut butter desserts for such a long time now!!! These look so chewy and gooey………Oh I can’t wait until I can make these! I havent been able to bake anything with peanut butter though because my brother doesnt like peanut butter, and if I bake something sweet, he’ll definitely want to eat it. Great recipe and photographs though!

36. Anne Doiron December 8, 2010 @ 1:26 pm (#

Thank you so much for your brownie recipes. They are the very very best! And thank you for your great sense of humor. You always make me laugh and brighten my day when I read your recipes.

37. Shirley December 24, 2010 @ 1:08 pm (#

Whenever I need a yummy dessert recipe for a get-together, I go to your blog :D

38. Holly February 26, 2011 @ 8:59 pm (#

My husband LOVES these brownies. He has requested I make them twice in less than two weeks. I really like them too. Thanks for the great recipe. I also have some of your other recipes in my favorites. I can’t wait to try them too.

39. Salli March 17, 2011 @ 5:04 pm (#

Mine came out dry. :’( I’m going to have to try this recipe again.

40. For the love of god how did I miss this recipe?!?!?!?!?!?! I’m dying. I must make these now. Although, I vowed to begin “watching what I eat” today…

That will no longer be happening.

Karly Reply:

@sally @ sally’s baking addiction,

This is an old recipe, but sooooooo good. One of my favorite brownies, for sure. :)

41. beckysmom1 July 2, 2012 @ 4:44 pm (#

Oh my gosh these look so yummy! I’m definitely going to try your recipe. Thank you!

1. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cup Blondies « Lea & Jay