Our extra creamy White Hot Chocolate is the perfect way to warm up during the holidays! Try it topped with whipped cream or marshmallows!
Every year we hit up Starbucks to grab hot chocolate and then we drive around and look at the Christmas lights in town. I’m mostly there for the hot chocolate, but the lights are fine too. 😉
This year, we made our own white hot chocolate at home. Took me a couple of tries to get the right amount of creaminess (lots of creaminess is the right amount, if you were wondering) with a nice sweet white chocolate and vanilla flavor.
My daughter added a couple pumps of our peppermint syrup to hers and made a peppermint white hot chocolate. So festive and fun for this time of year!
Should you skip the drive-thru and make your own white hot chocolate at home? Yes. Should you skip the powdery mixes and make it from scratch? Yes. Are you going to fall in love with me after you taste this and sing my praises? Also yes, sorry, but it’s true.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Whole Milk – While you can certainly use 2% milk, we think whole milk is best for hot chocolate. I wouldn’t recommend skim milk here.
Heavy Cream – We like a rich and creamy white hot chocolate, so we add in a cup of heavy cream. To cut calories and fat, you may use all milk or less cream – just use a total of 4 cups in all. It’ll still be delicious, just a bit less decadent.
White Chocolate Bar – We prefer to use a quality bar of white chocolate over chocolate chips in this recipe as it will melt nicer and have a better flavor. We like Lindt or Ghiradelli. You’ll chop it finely into small pieces so it melts nicely.
Vanilla Extract – If you’re not adding vanilla extract to your hot chocolate are you even living?
Topping – Marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate chips, crushed candy canes, a drizzle of chocolate syrup, or whatever else you can dream up! Have fun building the perfect cup.
Optional – Try this white hot chocolate with some of my homemade peppermint syrup to make the ultimate Christmas holiday beverage!
What We Love About This Recipe:
- The smooth, creamy flavor of white chocolate shines through here.
- This recipe comes together on the stove in less than 10 minutes!
- It’s easy to customize this drink by adding all kinds of toppings. Try a build your own hot chocolate bar!
How To Make White Hot Chocolate:
Heat: To get started you’ll add the milk and heavy cream to a sauce pan over medium heat. Let it heat up until the edges just start to lightly bubble. Do not boil the milk and cream.
White Chocolate: Remove the sauce pan from the heat and immediately begin stirring in the finely chopped white chocolate along with the vanilla extract. Keep stirring until the chocolate has fully melted!
Serve: You can now divide the white hot chocolate up between 4 mugs and top with some whipped cream or marshmallows. You can also try it with my homemade peppermint syrup!
I’d recommend using a bar of good quality white chocolate. White chocolate chips will also work, but a chocolate bar will melt more nicely and be creamier.
Nope, you can use all milk instead. I think the heavy cream makes this drink even more rich, creamy, and decadent.
MORE CHRISTMAS DRINKS!
MORE WHITE CHOCOLATE RECIPES!
- White Chocolate Christmas Popcorn
- White Chocolate Fudge with Pretzels
- White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Bars
- White Chocolate Cranberry Scones
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
White Hot Chocolate
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream see notes
- 6 ounces white chocolate finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Whipped cream or marshmallows for topping
- Add the milk and cream to a sauce pan over medium heat and heat until the edges just lightly start to bubble. Do not bring the milk to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and immediately stir in the chopped chocolate and vanilla. Continue stirring until the chocolate has fully melted.
- Divide the hot chocolate between 4 mugs and top with whipped cream, if desired.