PECAN SANDIES are crisp on the outside, soft on the inside, and loaded with pecans. They’re not too sweet, which makes it so easy to just keep popping them in your mouth…absolutely delicious!
My husband recently tagged along with me to the grocery store. This never happens.
Mostly because back when the kids were younger we would all go to the store together and I’d end up getting all stabby halfway through because he would get the kids all riled up.Children are meant to be quiet and walk at a respectable pace and never once make loud screechy noises while at the grocery store. That’s just the law. I didn’t write it, but I do my best to adhere to it.
My husband? Huh uh. He thinks the grocery store is his own personal playground and he runs around the kids in circles, taunting them, pushing them, picking on them, teasing them, and turning them into maniacs.
Anyway, we went shopping together and the man grabbed a package of Pecan Sandies off the shelf.
HOW DARE HE BUY PACKAGED COOKIES?
Obviously, I felt as though I was failing as a wife and I immediately came home and set to whipping up some homemade pecan sandies for the man. I showed him whose boss, you guys.
Y’all, these are good. Soft on the inside, that crunchy crispy crackly thing going on the outside thanks to the little roll in sugar before baking, and of course, they’re loaded with buttery pecans. Heaven!
How to make this pecan sandies recipe:
You’ll start by beating together butter, brown sugar, and powdered sugar.
Beat in some egg and vanilla and then mix in the dry ingredients.
Once your dough has come together, add in your chopped pecans and give it a good mix.
Roll the dough into 24 equal sized balls and then roll each ball in a bit of granulated sugar. This makes the best crispy, crackly coating on the outside of the cookies!
These bake in just 12 minutes, no need to chill the dough or anything.
Let’ em cool before you start popping them in one by one. They’re not overly sweet, which makes it really easy to just sit and eat the whole batch. Ask me how I know. 😉
More favorite cookie recipes to try:
- Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Rolo Cookies
- Monster Cookies
- Snowball Cookies
- Confetti Cookies
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Slowly add to the butter mixture and mix on low until just combined. Stir in the pecans.
- The dough will be somewhat sticky, but roll it into 24 small balls and roll each ball in sugar.
- Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet 1 inch apart (they don't spread much at all) and bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until the edges are golden.
- Cool on wire racks.
adapted from allrecipes.com
This post was originally published in October 2012. It was updated with new photos November 2019.