Our Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes make the perfect fall side dish for a cozy family dinner or for the holidays! This smooth, creamy sweet potato mash is made extra special with plenty of butter, vanilla, and maple syrup.
While my family eats sweet potatoes all year long, we especially love them during the fall and winter months. That gorgeous orange color and the sweet, earthy flavor were just made for a chilly evening!
I’m a big fan of our roasted sweet potatoes (tossed in honey and cinnamon for a special treat), but we also make delicious Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes and Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes!
Today, I’m sharing another family favorite: This mashed sweet potato recipe!
Rich, creamy, sweet, and earthy – hard to go wrong with a dish like this. We add in plenty of salted butter, pure maple syrup, a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon, and a splash of vanilla. Warm, cozy comfort food!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sweet Potatoes – You’ll need six medium sized sweet potatoes. They’ll need to be peeled and then diced into smaller pieces so that they’ll cook evenly.
Butter – Some softened butter will go in with the syrup while you mash the sweet potatoes.
Maple Syrup – I love real maple syrup! Please don’t use pancake syrup here – it’s not the same.
Milk – You’ll add in milk as needed to reach the desired consistency. This recipe for maple mashed sweet potatoes is rich and creamy and the milk helps.
Seasoning – To finish these mashed sweet potatoes off you’ll mix in some vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt. You can also sprinkle some brown sugar over the top before serving, although this is optional.
What We Love About This Recipe:
- We love maple syrup and this recipe is a great way to make use of it!
- This recipe is great seasonal dish that is best enjoyed during fall and winter months. We love to serve it with Thanksgiving dinner, but it’s simple enough for any night.
- It’s simple to swap thing around and use what you have – honey or brown sugar will work well in place of the maple!
How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
Peel & Dice: Peel the sweet potatoes with a vegetable peeler and then chop into similar sized cubes so that the potatoes will boil evenly.
Boil: Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes or until they are tender and easy to pierce with a fork.
When the sweet potatoes have finished boiling you can drain the water and transfer the potatoes to a mixing bowl.
Syrup: Pour the maple syrup over the boiled sweet potatoes and add in the butter. Use real maple syrup, not the imitation stuff!
Mash: Time to start mashing! Mash the sweet potatoes while slowly pouring in the milk, as needed, until they’ve reached the consistency you prefer. I think they are best smooth and creamy! Sprinkle in brown sugar and salt to taste!
Mashing sweet potatoes (or regular potatoes) is a lot easier with the right tool. Obviously, a potato masher will work really well here. But you could also use a food processor or blender if you want it super smooth.
Make It a Meal!
This recipe makes for a perfect fall side dish and it’s definitely a good one to serve up at Thanksgiving! Try it with this air fryer turkey breast or a crockpot spiral ham!
For a classic family dinner, serve this recipe for mashed sweet potatoes alongside our turkey meatloaf, Instant Pot whole chicken, or spinach stuffed chicken!
It’ll depend on how small you diced the potatoes and how much you are making, but it should take about 20 minutes. Once they’re tender enough to be easily pierced with a fork, they are ready for mashing!
These maple mashed sweet potatoes should last for about 3 to 4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Yes, the skin of a sweet potato is edible. And it’s actually pretty nutritious! If you like the skin and don’t mind that it’ll change the smooth and creamy texture, then you can leave it on.
Yes, sweet potatoes are naturally gluten free!
MORE SWEET POTATO RECIPES!
- Canned Sweet Potato Casserole
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Sweet Potato Puff Casserole
Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup milk more as needed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Brown sugar optional
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Peel and dice the potatoes and add to the boiling water. Boil for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the butter and maple syrup to the hot potatoes and start mashing. Slowly drizzle in the milk, as needed, to reach the desired consistency. Potatoes should be smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Sprinkle with brown sugar before serving, if desired.
Leave a Review