These Banana Oatmeal Cookies are loaded with ripe bananas, oats, and chocolate chips for a soft cookie that tastes like my favorite banana bread!
I’m going to get real honest with you here for a second…
I don’t like bananas.
That’s right – bananas on their own are gross, bananas in baked goods are amazing. I don’t understand it, but it’s my truth.
I think you’ll love this banana cookie recipe – they’re soft, full of oats for a little texture, loaded with sweet banana flavor, and studded with melty chocolate chips. It’s hard to go wrong with these!
No joke, these banana oatmeal cookies are basically banana bread in cookie form and you are going to love it!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Bananas – Just like when you’re making our classic banana bread recipe, you’ll want to use ripe bananas. The browner the better!
Dry Ingredients – You’ll need all the standard dry ingredients for making oatmeal cookie dough: flour, rolled oats, white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
Wet Ingredients – The remaining cookie dough ingredients include softened butter, eggs, and vanilla extract.
Chocolate Chips – I’m using semisweet chocolate chips for these banana oatmeal cookies, but any variety will do.
What Readers are Saying!
“These cookies came out beautiful! I love the cake like consistency and they are delicious! I didn’t change one single thing. Even the bake time was spot on! Thanks for this yummy recipe.” – Harriet
How to Make Banana Cookies:
Bananas: To start, you’ll want to grab some ripe bananas and mash them with a fork. The more dark spots, the sweeter and softer your bananas will be! Basically, they’re perfect for baking when they’re too mushy for eating. 😉
Keep it simple…
Check out the “Special Tools” section below for some tips on helpful kitchen gadgets that will simplify preparing this recipe and all your other favorite baking recipes!
Cookie Dough: Set the bananas aside and then whip up your oatmeal cookie dough. This is a standard dough – butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla all beat together until creamy. Mixed with flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
Combine: Once your cookie dough has come together, it’s time to add in those mashed ‘nanas and some chocolate chips and mix until combined.
Bake: This chocolate chip cookie dough is absolute perfection. No need to chill before baking either! Scoop the dough with a cookie scoop onto a baking sheet and then pop them in the oven.
These banana oatmeal cookies bake up in about 12 minutes at 375 degrees. Let them cool on a wire rack and then serve them up!
Special Tools Needed for This Banana Cookie Recipe:
The below links are affiliate links.
Hand Mixer: When making cookies, you’ll need a mixer of some sort. This KitchenAid is budget friendly, has lasted me FOR.EV.ER. and it comes in a variety of fun colors.
Stand Mixer: If you bake a lot of cookies, I recommend investing in a stand mixer. It’s so easy to toss ingredients in and it’s a real work horse. I use mine daily and it’s shown no signs of slowing down. Again – loads of pretty colors to choose from.
Cookie Scoop: I use my cookie scoops alllll the time, for cookies, meatballs, fruit, small scoops of ice cream, biscuits and more. They come in so handy and ensure even sizes for even baking.
You can use rolled/old fashioned oats or quick oats for these oatmeal cookies. I think old fashioned oats have a better, chewier texture than the quick oats but you can use either one!
We keep these cookies stored on the counter in a cookie jar! They should last for about a week.
To freeze these banana cookies you’ll first want to first place them on a baking sheet and freeze uncovered for an hour or so. Then transfer them to a ziplock freezer bag and freeze for up to a few months.
MORE BANANA RECIPES!
- Homemade Dog Treats: Made with peanut butter and banana!
- Banana Bread Muffins: My kids love these muffins!
- Blueberry Banana Bread: The flavors of blueberry and banana together!
- Banana Bread Donuts: Another breakfast favorite!
More cookie Recipes!
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Air Fryer Cookie
- Cake Batter Cookies
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium ripe bananas mashed
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or spray with nonstick spray.
- In the bowl of your mixer cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl stir together the flour, oatmeal, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar and beat until just combined.
- Mix in the mashed bananas and chocolate chips until well incorporated.
- Use a large cookie scoop to drop scoops of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes or until the edges are browned and cookies are set.
- Cool on a wire rack.