Things have been pretty unpleasant around my house the last week or so. My daughter came down with pink eye and, let me just say this, EWWWWWW. Not cool, daughter. Not cool at all.
Then my son decided to get a cold and, well, you know how wimpy men/boys can be. I’ve gone through umpteen boxes of kleenex, each garbage can in my house has a mountain of used tissues flowing from it, and there is crusty stuff all over a pitiful looking little boy.
Then, for fun, both of the kids decided to get a cough. A long, lingering, deep, wet sounding cough that makes me want to die a little.
I don’t do well with gross kids. I know I’m supposed to be all loving and mother-y and extra super sympathetic, but y’all, these kids are disgusting right now. I’m trying my best to mother them from far across the room and I may or may not have requested they bathe in antibacterial soap before hugging me good night last night. When they’re sick-sick, like pukey-sick or fever-sick I could win awards at the mothering thing. But when they are just covered in green goo and hacking up a lung while their eyeballs leak germs at me, I’d just rather keep my distance.
So I baked them banana bread and swirled in some Nutella to make up for my meanness.
Apparently, I’m forgiven. At least, I think that’s why they were kind enough to share there germs with me. Maybe it was payback? Who can say, really?
Nutella Swirled Banana Bread
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup Nutella microwaved for 15 seconds to soften
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and mix well. Fold in the bananas, sour cream, and nuts until just combined.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Drop spoonfuls of the Nutella over the top of the batter. Cover with the remaining batter. Use a knife to swirl the batter around in the loaf pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until baked through.