Blackberry Cobbler

Blackberry Cobbler recipe

I’ve mentioned that we’re in the process of selling our house (Are your fingers crossed for us? Cross them harder, please.) and moving to a new home. I have grand plans for our new home. The kitchen will be full of windows, all light and airy. There will be lots of counter space and cabinets to store all my goodies. The backyard will be large and fenced in, ready for a swimming pool. I even have plans for a garden! (That sound you just heard was my husband groaning…I don’t have the best gardening track record.)

Blackberry Cobbler recipe

I’ll plant tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, and onions. I’ll call it the salsa garden. I love salsa. I’ll also have an area of the yard set aside for berries. It will be a large area. Very large. Large enough to grow blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries. Every berry imaginable! I love berries. Just no dingl…never mind. I’m not even going to finish that thought.

With those berries I will make this delicious cobbler. Today I’m using blackberries. Tomorrow I’ll make it with raspberries. I will not make it with blueberries, because blueberry cobbler is not something I enjoy. Sorry.

Blackberry Cobbler recipe

There are so many cobbler recipes out there, but this one is it. It’s the winner. It would take home the gold in the National Berry Cobbler Olympic Championship, if only such a thing existed.

Blackberry Cobbler recipe

Oh, and this cobbler? I baked it in my new cast iron pan. My parents bought it for me for Christmas, but this is the first time I’ve used it. I’m a wee bit scared of cleaning it. I know you aren’t supposed to use soap and water on them, but I just can’t imagine that it gets clean if you don’t scrub it with some Dawn, ya know?

Blackberry Cobbler recipe

I’m sure this sticky, gooey cobbler will be a breeze to clean up. Right? Please, just agree with me.

Blackberry Cobbler recipe

For the filling:

• 2 tablespoons corn starch
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 4 cups fresh blackberries
  • 1/2 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

For the dough, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Cut in the butter until you have a coarse, crumbly mixture. Pour in the boiling water and stir together well so that all of the dough is wet. Set aside.

For the berries, dissolve the cornstarch in the cold water in a medium bowl. Add the lemon juice, berries, and sugar. Mix together well. Transfer berries to a 10 inch cast iron pan.

Heat mixture over medium heat until boiling, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.

Drop spoonfuls of dough over the berry mixture and place the cast iron pan on a foil lined cookie sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the dough is golden brown and the berries are thick and bubbly.

(If you don’t have a cast iron pan, bring to a boil in a sauce pan and bake in a 9×9 baking dish.)

45 Responses to “Blackberry Cobbler”

1. Kinsey April 21, 2010 @ 11:54 am (#

AH that looks soooo good!! Wish I had some right now, that would be awesome. :D

~Kinsey

2. Naomi April 21, 2010 @ 12:12 pm (#

OMG. I just bought some Blue Bell Southern Blackberry Cobbler ice cream this weekend. It was so good. And this is so making my mouth water. Yum, I love berry cobblers…and peach, my all time favorite. That deserves a double yum.

3. Em. April 21, 2010 @ 2:16 pm (#

Um, yes and please. In my belly. Right now.

Also, I’m terrified of cleaning the cast iron pans as well. My husband does it. I don’t even have the foggiest idea where to start if not with ‘dump in hot soapy sink of water’.

4. Malin April 21, 2010 @ 2:46 pm (#

Yumm-e-o! Looks perfect! (Not that I’ve ever had cobbler, but still ;)

5. Maria April 21, 2010 @ 4:26 pm (#

Blackberries grew wild by our house when I was a kid. I miss those days. Blackberry cobbler is my favorite!

6. Rachael April 21, 2010 @ 4:41 pm (#

I’ve been slowly building up a blackberry supply in the freezer so I can make cobbler, this came at the perfect time. Yum can’t wait to get started.

7. grace April 22, 2010 @ 4:51 am (#

i sure hope you get your dream kitchen and salsa garden, karly. :)
    what a great cobbler–i think this may the best possible recipe to use to break in your new pan.

8. Barbara April 22, 2010 @ 11:11 am (#

Is there anything better than cobblers, Karly?? Any kind will do for me. Especially if vanilla ice cream is involved. ;)
    But I must admit, I’ve never made a blackberry one. This looks wonderful.

And there’s nothing like those wonderful iron pans…I gave all mine away. :(

9. Mary April 22, 2010 @ 1:15 pm (#

I always use soap (just a tiny bit) on my cast iron pans. I just make sure to oil them right after washing to prevent rust. I haven’t noticed a difference or any problems and it makes me feel like it is cleaner than just rinsing it with no soap!

10. Erica Lea April 22, 2010 @ 3:12 pm (#

I love desserts cooked in a skillet. So rustic and good. We usually clean our cast-iron skillets by sprinkling in some kosher salt (or cornmeal) and scrubbing with a paper towel or washcloth. Some friends of ours (who use cast iron ALL the time) clean theirs with soap and water.

Your garden plans sound lovely. Hope it works out for you!

11. Michelle April 22, 2010 @ 6:10 pm (#

Oh this is wonderful. I have a bag of berries in the freezer that we froze from our last berry picking outing. this would be a tasty way to use them!

12. sabdra April 23, 2010 @ 1:03 am (#

I like to eat dessert, such as the various flavors of cakes, egg tarts, cobbler, etc. I think your blackberry cobbler is very delicious.I like it .

13. shelly (cookies and cups) April 23, 2010 @ 6:37 am (#

oh my, this looks gorgeous! I bet it is tasty too!
    Good luck with you house..fingers are crossed for ya! Anything to get you salsa…I know the craving :)

14. JOKAH April 24, 2010 @ 1:32 pm (#

IF YOUR CAST IRON SKILLET IS SEASONED PROPERLY THE BEST WAY TO CLEAN IT IS TO USE HOT WATER AND A BAMBOO SCRUB BRUSH LIKE THOSE USED ON WOKS. DO NOT USE SOAP!

15. Barefoot Belle April 25, 2010 @ 7:13 pm (#

I have great dreams about my own (very large and with lots of natural light) kitchen and backyard garden…unfortunately you are much closer to that than I am! I hope all goes well with selling your house.

The blackberries have been gorgeous (and so sweet) at the market lately. This recipe looks like a good excuse to buy some more!

16. DessertForTwo April 26, 2010 @ 4:13 pm (#

I love any dessert cooked in a cast iron skillet. This ones looks divine! Can’t wait to try it!
    P.S. Found you through Tasty Kitchen :)

17. claire April 27, 2010 @ 6:41 pm (#

that looks amazing! i want to make it RIGHT THIS SECOND!

18. Amanda April 27, 2010 @ 8:35 pm (#

Oh this looks so good! Do you follow the same recipe if you’re using raspberries?
    PS fingers crossed hard for you! I hope you get your house and salsa garden. :)

19. Karly April 28, 2010 @ 6:58 am (#

Amanda,

Yep, use the same recipe, but check the berries for sweetness. Raspberries are usually a bit more tart, so I might use a bit more sugar. Just taste and adjust as needed! :)

20. jenny s May 2, 2010 @ 5:47 am (#

Made this yesterday and it was just awesome. I didn’t have fresh blackberries so used frozen Oregon Blackberries and it worked just great. Also used 10″ cake pan because I didn’t have the cast iron pan and that worked out just fine. Thanks for another great recipe. My son even had seconds (we’re the berry lovers in the family).

21. Simone (junglefrog) May 3, 2010 @ 3:18 pm (#

That just looks awesome and sure that will get cleaned so very easily…:)) I will keep my fingers crossed that you sell your house quickly!

22. Kaitlin May 16, 2010 @ 8:13 pm (#

This looks delicious! I am totally crossing my fingers for you. I want to hear about your future garden :)

23. Valerie May 17, 2010 @ 9:37 am (#

Cobbler is one of my favorite things – my grandma used to make the most amazing peach cobbler! This one looks delish and I can’t wait to try your recipe.

Here’s a link on how to care for cast iron – http://www.lodgemfg.com/use-care-seasoned-cast-iron.asp#2. Although some people do use soap, it messes with the “seasoning” of your cast iron. A good, seasoned cast iron pan can be a real gem, so it pays to do things the way they say. If your pan seems icky and needs more than just some hot water to get clean, scrub it with some kosher salt until clean, rinse, dry thoroughly, then lightly oil with vegetable oil (wipe off any excess).

24. Amy June 15, 2010 @ 8:47 am (#

I made this and it’s sooo good! Found you via Tasty Kitchen. Thanks! I linked to you today.

25. Amy Kushnir June 15, 2010 @ 1:57 pm (#

Hi!
    Ran across your site as I was getting ready to pick some fresh blackberries at a blackberry farm.
    I’m going to try one of the recipes and share it on my own website called http://www.myTexastoday.com.
    We blend new recipes with Texas country music artist.
    Check us out sometime – new segments every Tuesday!

All the best to you-
    Amy Kushnir
    Host/Producer

26. Kathryn August 6, 2010 @ 2:00 pm (#

That cobbler looks amazing! You should submit the recipe to the Recipe4Living Fall Cobbler Recipe Contest here!

27. Kamagra January 31, 2011 @ 3:52 pm (#

Oh my god this looks very delicious. I’m really getting hungry now. The blackberry cobbler is a great recipe. Thanks for sharing. My kids will love that, that I’m sure about.

28. Anthony Duncan March 25, 2011 @ 5:52 pm (#

Wow! I made this recipe and I was told it should be my signature recipe! I will make it again and again!

29. ?? ??? ?? November 19, 2013 @ 8:23 pm (#

I am extremely inspired with your writing talents and also with the structure in your blog.
    Is this a paid topic or did you modify it yourself?
    Either way stay up the excellent quality writing, it’s
    uncommon to look a great weblog like this one today..

30. grosse saloppe December 24, 2013 @ 5:03 am (#

It is actually a nice and helpful piece of information.

I’m satisfied that you just shared this helpful information with us.
    Please keep us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.

31. Lorraine January 8, 2014 @ 10:38 pm (#

Wonderful site. A lot of useful information here.
    I am sending it to a few pals ans also sharing in delicious.
    And of course, thank you for your sweat!

32. terrazzo tile January 8, 2014 @ 11:57 pm (#

Color pattern, amount of color and various other things should be kept in mind before buying a terrazzo.
    An open ramp, with dramatic views, links the galleries and the theater foyers to create a walkway around the entire building, generating an atmosphere of festivity, anticipation and theatricality.
    Apart from the actual texture of your cement floor, it may be changed into
    a a masterpiece with a colour procedure that alters the
    looks of the floor.

33. ?????????? google January 9, 2014 @ 6:10 am (#

First off I would like to say wonderful blog!

I had a quick question which I’d like to ask if you don’t mind.
    I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts
    prior to writing. I’ve had difficulty clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out.
    I truly do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to
    15 minutes are usually wasted just trying to figure out
    how to begin. Any suggestions or hints? Appreciate
    it!

34. how to get a free iPhone January 10, 2014 @ 4:25 pm (#

continuously i used to read smaller content which as well clear their motive, and that is also happening with this piece of writing
    which I am reading at this time.

35. http://www.laleva.org January 13, 2014 @ 9:23 am (#

The cooking method of simmering in a pot with vegetables not only gives
    great flavor to the chicken and keeps it very moist, but it also gives
    the added bonus of the water the chicken was cooked in,
    which of course has been transformed into chicken broth.
    Picnics are a lot of fun and eating outdoors on a nice day is a relaxing way to pass a
    few hours. Add the shredded mixed salad greens
    into a serving platter and then top with grilled chicken
    strips.

36. www.rebelmouse.com/renegadedietbook/ January 18, 2014 @ 2:41 pm (#

I don’t try to baffle you with BS and impress
    you with jargon. What a contrast to what we give
    our children, the little. The most common sugar ant in Lake Worth is called the Pharoah ant.

37. putas ibiza January 18, 2014 @ 10:43 pm (#

It is i? reality a nice and helpful piec?
    of information. I’m ha?py that you simply shared this ?sefu inffo with us.
    Please stay us up to date like t?is. Thank you for sharing.

38. Adalberto February 9, 2014 @ 2:47 am (#

It is possible that hair from some places may not grow
    back, leaving you with a permanent gap in your brows.
    Freckles are not dangerous or cancerous, but can lead to long-term skin discoloration known as liver
    spots. Some women experience periods of noticeable hair loss at
    different phases of their menstrual cycle, or even seasonally.

39. what teams are in the world cup 2014 April 10, 2014 @ 8:50 pm (#

FIFA has known as an extraordinary meeting subsequent
    the controversy above France striker Thierry Henry’s aim towards Eire
    in the World Cup qualifiers and the match-fixing investigation introduced final 7 days.
    FIFA has introduced a alter to its usual draw treatment which will see one particular of the nine unseeded
    European groups – such as England – placed in Pot Two along with Algeria, Cameroon, Chile, Ivory Coastline, Ecuador, Ghana and Nigeria.
    Uruguay and Italy are joined by England and Costa Rica in a group that appears rather simple on
    paper, but definitely could supply some surprises.

Leading up to the Attract, the FIFA govt committee selects 8 teams (including the host group) as the FIFA World
    Cup Finals’ leading seeds (a single for each group).
    We want to use the World Cup to adjust the notion of Africa as a
    hopeless continent. This is very critical simply because the World Cup is an African
    World Cup.” Gather detailed data on stadiums hosting FIFA world cup 2010.
    With tens of millions of eyes set on one focus on FIFA World cup 2010, relish the moment and be a portion
    of it. The only hitch is the 2010 FIFA World Cup attract
    pits the United States in opposition to England in the opener for both groups.

40. phoenix carpet cleaning April 11, 2014 @ 4:06 am (#

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the
    book in it or something. I think that you can do with a few
    pics to drive the message home a bit, but instead of that, this
    is great blog. An excellent read. I will definitely be
    back.

41. rosa parks May 24, 2014 @ 3:59 pm (#

Hello Dear, are you in fact visiting this website on a
    regular basis, if so afterward you will without doubt
    obtain pleasant knowledge.

1. Pingback: Blueberry Cobbler | Cooking for Seven

2. Pingback: Quick and Easy Blackberry Cobbler Recipe | D is for Delicate

3. Pingback: Brownies in a Cast Iron Skillet | Amanda's Cookin'

4. Pingback: Berry Cobbler | katie baked