So, I made my family cake for breakfast. What of it?
It’s full of blueberries, which are pretty much just plain magic in the health food world, so I’m not feeling guilty.
Also, muffins tend to be an acceptable breakfast and this is just one giant muffin baked in a cake pan.
See? Totally reasonable to eat cake for breakfast.
Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9 or 7x11 baking dish.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, lemon zest, and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until well combined.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
- Add the flour mixture a little at a time to the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Spread the batter in the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, testing after 30 minutes.
- Cool before serving.
lightly adapted from Alexandra’s Kitchen