I’m sorry, okay? I just can’t help myself. I like bacon. It’s who I am. It’s what I do. It’s an integral part of me and I won’t deny it.
The first time I tried this BLT macaroni salad, I really didn’t have high hopes. Macaroni salad should have mayonnaise, eggs, and green olives and that’s about it! That’s the way my mama made it and my mama couldn’t be wrong. Who decided it was okay to add bacon? And tomatoes! In a macaroni salad? Who the heck authorized that?
I am happy to report that bacon and tomatoes in a macaroni salad is actually completely legal and very yummy. (Also, my mama was wrong. Don’t tell her though, okay?)
This would be a perfect side dish for just about any kind of grilled meat. Macaroni salad just screams summer.
To get started, bring a large pan of water to a boil and add one pound of pasta. Cook until al dente or about 8 minutes. (I made this for a big group of people on Easter, so I used an entire pound of pasta. This recipe would be simple to half if you are making it for a smaller crowd, though.) Don’t forget to salt your water.
Grab two medium to large tomatoes and start dicing them up. My tomatoes were on the small side and, I’ll be honest here, it made a difference. The sweet juicy tomatoes really add something to this, so don’t skimp.
Go ahead and chop up two to three bunches of green onions, depending on how much you love green onions. Me? I love them. Add them to the bowl of diced tomatoes along with one cup of mayonnaise, 1/4 cup white vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir it all up and lick the spoon.
Now fry up around 8 slices of bacon, or more if your husband is a bacon thief like mine. It’s always good to have extra bacon laying around for back up. When the bacon has cooled off a bit, crumble it all up into bite sized pieces.
Drain your pasta and dump it into a large bowl. Chill in the fridge until good and cold. Pour on the mayonnaise mixture and stir it all up. Do a happy dance. Dump the crumbled bacon on top of it all and mix it all up again. Do another happy dance. Take a few bite to make sure it’s properly salted. Repeat the happy dance.
Dump it all into a pretty serving dish, stick a pretty serving spoon in, and garnish it with some pretty green onions.
Oh, and if anyone asks what the “L” stands for in the “BLT” portion of this dish, just stick your tongue out at them and then eat their share. That’ll teach ‘em.
BLT Macaroni Salad
- 1lb. macaroni pasta
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 medium-large tomatoes
- 2-3 bunches of green onions, plus extra for garnish
- 1 cup mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add macaroni. Cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and pour into large mixing bowl, chill.
2. Fry 8 slices of bacon and, when cool enough to handle, crumble into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
3. Chop tomatoes and green onions, add to small mixing bowl. Mix in mayonnaise and vinegar. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Pour mayonnaise mixture over macaroni and stir together well. Stir in the crumbled bacon.
5. Serve in a pretty dish with some chopped green onions sprinkled on top. Enjoy!