BLT Macaroni Salad. Again With The Bacon.

plated-1

I’m sorry, okay? I just can’t help myself. I like bacon. It’s who I am. It’s what I do. It’s an integral part of me and I won’t deny it.

The first time I tried this BLT macaroni salad, I really didn’t have high hopes. Macaroni salad should have mayonnaise, eggs, and green olives and that’s about it! That’s the way my mama made it and my mama couldn’t be wrong. Who decided it was okay to add bacon? And tomatoes! In a macaroni salad? Who the heck authorized that?

I am happy to report that bacon and tomatoes in a macaroni salad is actually completely legal and very yummy. (Also, my mama was wrong. Don’t tell her though, okay?)

This would be a perfect side dish for just about any kind of grilled meat. Macaroni salad just screams summer.

ingredients

To get started, bring a large pan of water to a boil and add one pound of pasta. Cook until al dente or about 8 minutes. (I made this for a big group of people on Easter, so I used an entire pound of pasta. This recipe would be simple to half if you are making it for a smaller crowd, though.) Don’t forget to salt your water.

Grab two medium to large tomatoes and start dicing them up. My tomatoes were on the small side and, I’ll be honest here, it made a difference. The sweet juicy tomatoes really add something to this, so don’t skimp.

Go ahead and chop up two to three bunches of green onions, depending on how much you love green onions. Me? I love them. Add them to the bowl of diced tomatoes along with one cup of mayonnaise, 1/4 cup white vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir it all up and lick the spoon.

Now fry up around 8 slices of bacon, or more if your husband is a bacon thief like mine. It’s always good to have extra bacon laying around for back up. When the bacon has cooled off a bit, crumble it all up into bite sized pieces.

mixed-up

Drain your pasta and dump it into a large bowl. Chill in the fridge until good and cold. Pour on the mayonnaise mixture and stir it all up. Do a happy dance. Dump the crumbled bacon on top of it all and mix it all up again. Do another happy dance. Take a few bite to make sure it’s properly salted. Repeat the happy dance.

blt-salad

Dump it all into a pretty serving dish, stick a pretty serving spoon in, and garnish it with some pretty green onions.

Oh, and if anyone asks what the “L” stands for in the “BLT” portion of this dish, just stick your tongue out at them and then eat their share. That’ll teach ‘em.

BLT Macaroni Salad

• 1lb. macaroni pasta
  • 8 slices bacon
  • 2 medium-large tomatoes
  • 2-3 bunches of green onions, plus extra for garnish
  • 1 cup mayonnaise (NOT Miracle Whip)
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • salt and pepper, to taste

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add macaroni. Cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain and pour into large mixing bowl, chill.

2. Fry 8 slices of bacon and, when cool enough to handle, crumble into bite sized pieces. Set aside.

3. Chop tomatoes and green onions, add to small mixing bowl. Mix in mayonnaise and vinegar. Add salt and pepper, to taste.

4. Pour mayonnaise mixture over macaroni and stir together well. Stir in the crumbled bacon.

5. Serve in a pretty dish with some chopped green onions sprinkled on top. Enjoy!

32 Responses to “BLT Macaroni Salad. Again With The Bacon.”

1. Sophie April 18, 2009 @ 2:56 am (#

Looks yummie!
    I don’t like so many mayonaise in my salad so I would substitute that with a home made dressing.

2. Aliceson April 18, 2009 @ 8:40 am (#

Yumm! I could live on bacon and green onions, but my cholesterol would be through the roof and I would have constant onion breath… maybe in my next life.

3. kelli April 18, 2009 @ 6:04 pm (#

Yum. I made this and I’m eating a bowl right now. I added a big handful of shredded cheese because it just seemed like I should. And you’re totally right about not skimping on the tomatoes- all I had was part of a container of grape tomatoes so I used those. When I get a bite with tomato I’m all OOH! there should be more of these…

4. Simone (junglefrog) April 20, 2009 @ 3:55 am (#

I was just browsing tastespotting looking for something to eat tonight and bumped into your blog! I love it and this is the perfect dish to make for tonight! Thanks for the inspiration!

5. Kristen April 20, 2009 @ 11:56 am (#

Oh wow this looks fabulous!! I’m always looking for new takes on classics, and this sounds perfect. My husband would just love it! Thanks!!!

6. Julie April 20, 2009 @ 1:10 pm (#

Now that’s my kinda macaroni salad! Thanks for the recipe :)

7. Ginger April 20, 2009 @ 6:32 pm (#

I love this recipe!! I am already dreaming of warmer days (cold in Cincinnati, Ohio today) and a picnic with this salad on the menu!! To me, the bacon really adds to this salad and I can’t wait to try it!!

8. Kevin April 20, 2009 @ 7:17 pm (#

A BLT macaroni salad sounds great!

9. shoeaddict April 21, 2009 @ 1:04 pm (#

Yummy! I will be trying this fo sho!

10. oneshotbeyond April 21, 2009 @ 2:05 pm (#

this post made me smile! Looks like my kind of dish.

11. April April 22, 2009 @ 4:29 pm (#

Can you recommend a brand of Mayo that is sweet? I’ve tried Helman’s and didn’t like it. Thanks!

12. Kelly April 23, 2009 @ 9:08 am (#

Bacon! Yum! That looks like the best thing to take to a pot luck or an afternoon lunch. What a great recipe!

13. Stephenie May 4, 2009 @ 4:48 pm (#

Thanks for the recipe! It was one of the best Mac salads I’ve ever made!!

14. Jessia July 5, 2009 @ 9:59 pm (#

Tomorrow I’m buying bacon and making this. It sounds lovely and I’ve been looking for a decent macaroni salad.

15. Karen Sugarpants August 11, 2009 @ 6:52 am (#

You just saved my ass! My Granny is all mad I’m not making salads for the baby shower I’m hosting and now I can make this one and she’ll stop being so takeoverish.
    Thanks Karly!

16. Janet May 10, 2010 @ 11:48 am (#

I make this all the time…its good….increase the amount of bacon, though.

17. Robyn July 15, 2010 @ 10:02 pm (#

My husband HATES mayo, but loved this salad!! Very yummy, thanks!

18. Jenny September 12, 2010 @ 9:50 pm (#

Yum! We loved it! Thanks!

19. Elizabeth February 8, 2011 @ 4:32 pm (#

this sounds DELICIOUS! can’t wait to try it out Friday for a party I’m hosting. Thanks for sharing!

20. Gloria June 18, 2011 @ 9:14 pm (#

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!! I just made this! Left out the white wine vinegar(forgot to buy it) My taste buds are dancing!!!I am a BACON lover too and this is just too magnificent! Thank you for sharing!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

21. Joanne July 1, 2011 @ 11:59 am (#

I use white balsamic vinegar and this is my favorite summer potluck contribution!

22. Jsue February 16, 2012 @ 5:22 pm (#

Absolutely LOVE this. Having it as a side with some pulled pork sandwiches for dinner. YUM. Keep the bacon coming :)

23. Jessm July 25, 2012 @ 7:35 pm (#

Meh. For all the hype, I found this salad just OK…. needed to add some dijon mustard for flavor. Wouldn’t make again.

24. Dana March 28, 2013 @ 12:46 pm (#

I adore this idea!! Summer time side dish…can’t wait!

25. Carlin Lohrey May 20, 2014 @ 8:35 pm (#

Why not Miracle Whip? I like it better than mayo.

1. Pingback: Craving: BLT Maccaroni Salad | FOODBEAST - ONLINE FOOD PUBLICATION :: BEEN HUNGRY SINCE '88

2. Pingback: Macaroni Salad with Bacon

3. Pingback: Macaroni Salad with Bacon

4. Pingback: BLT Macaroni Salad « the cooking nurse

5. Pingback: Craving > 5 Recipes for Creamy Macaroni Salad | foodiecrush

6. Pingback: Fresh Salad Recipes for Summer | creative gift ideas & news at catching fireflies

7. Pingback: Tailgate Menu: Week 1