Pumpkin muffins topped with a simple streusel mixture! These are the perfect fall breakfast! Every day should start with pumpkin, if you ask me.
Don’t yell at me.
I know it’s a wee bit early for pumpkin recipes, but…I just couldn’t help myself.
Besides, these are pumpkin muffins and I’m going to make an educated guess here and say that you love muffins. I mean, come on.
Everyone loves muffins! (Especially pumpkin muffins.)
They are easy to make, delicious to eat, portable, freezable, and delectable. Delectable. I don’t think I’ve ever used that word before. I just really needed another “-able” word to round out that sentence. Forgive me.
Now, these muffins. I came across this pumpkin muffins recipe in an old Taste Of Home magazine and I ripped the recipe out and stuck it in my To Bake Soon pile. Didn’t take long before I headed to the kitchen.
Tender, pumpkin-y, perfectly rounded on top, and that streusel…so good!
How to make easy pumpkin muffins:
You’ll start by beating together your butter and sugars until nice and creamy.
Beat in some pumpkin, buttermilk, and eggs.
Next up, you’ll add your dry ingredients.
This recipe calls for flour, baking powder, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice. Easy enough, right?
Stir all that together until just combined.
Scoop the batter into your prepared muffin tin and get started on the streusel.
To make the streusel, add flour, brown sugar, oats, and cold butter to a small bowl and work it together with a pastry cutter. This should resemble coarse crumbs when you’re finished.
Sprinkle the streusel over the pumpkin muffins and pop everything in the oven.
These muffins take about 25 minutes.
I love these muffins because they’re really simple to throw together and they bake up perfect every time.
They’re easy to customize too – skip the streusel and sprinkle on some chocolate chips if you like that sort of thing.
More pumpkin recipes you’ll love:
Pumpkin Crunch Cake: One of the most popular recipes on my site each fall! I make it every year. 🙂
Pumpkin Bundt Cake: The glaze is made with browned butter, so you know it’s good!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins: They taste like pumpkin pie with chocolate chips and they’re HEALTHY!
Pumpkin Bread: This one is another reader favorite! You can’t go wrong.
Pumpkin Coffee Cake: It doesn’t get better than this.
If you love this recipe, be sure to follow me on Pinterest too! I pin all kinds of delicious things!
Pumpkin Streusel Muffins
For the muffins
For the streusel topping
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugars.
- Beat in pumpkin, buttermilk, and eggs.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl and mix into the batter. Stir just until combined.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin tins 2/3 full of batter.
- For topping, combine the flour, brown sugar, and oats in a small bowl. Add the butter.
- Cut in butter with a pastry cutter until the mixture is crumbly.
- Spoon streusel topping over the muffins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
This post was originally published on Buns In My Oven in 2009. It’s been updated with new photos and a video.