Coconut Chocolate Bars are an irresistible, ooey gooey, no bake cookie bar that’s loaded with chocolate chips, oats, and shredded coconut.
My family loves the flavor of coconut and these Coconut Chocolate Bars are a major favorite, both to eat and to make!
I love that this recipe is reminiscent of the classic no bake cookies, made with oats and peanut butter, but doctored up a bit to use shredded coconut!
This recipe actually starts out just like my mama’s famous fudge frosting where you boil together milk and sugar and then stir in chocolate chips to create the most decadent concoction known to man. We used to fight over licking the bowl when my mom would make her frosting and now we’ve gone and turned it into a whole bar cookie. Divine.
These coconut chocolate bars are great for making ahead of time for parties or gatherings. With just 10-ish minutes of hands on time, these are a great last minute treat to whip up.
And if you like cereal bars it doesn’t get much better than these Golden Graham bars!
What We Love About Coconut Chocolate Bars:
- Texture: This recipe has lots of wonderful textures with the shredded coconut, quick rolled oats, and melty chocolate. We love the combination of fudgy chewy goodness and we think you will too!
- No Bake: Just a bit of quick heating on the stove for melting some chocolate and then it all goes in the fridge. This is a simple no bake dessert recipe that’s perfect for making ahead of time with just 10 minutes of prep.
- Seasonal: These taste great all year, but you can make them festive by topping them with holiday sprinkles!
Coconut Chocolate Bars
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- Line an 8” x 8” cake pan with parchment paper then lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over low-medium heat, bring butter, granulated sugar and milk to a light boil and let boil for 1 minute (no longer). Stir this constantly so it doesn’t burn or boil over. Remove the saucepan from heat.
- Stir in chocolate chips and vanilla extract until chocolate chips have fully melted.
- Stir in oats and coconut until well combined.
- Press this mixture firmly and evenly into the prepared pan.
- Cover the cake pan with plastic wrap and let set in fridge for at least 4 hours before slicing.
- Cut into 16 squares for serving.
Tips & Notes:
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Butter, Sugar, & Milk – You’ll need unsalted butter along with white sugar and milk which will get combined and heated together for melting the chocolate.
Chocolate Chips – I’m using semi-sweet chocolate chips in this recipe but you could milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips if you prefer a more or less sweet bar.
Quick Oats – Stick to the quick rolled oats for this recipe! Instant oats, steel cut oats, and old fashioned oats just won’t have the right texture for these chocolate bars!
Shredded Coconut – You’ll need unsweetened shredded coconut for this recipe.
Vanilla Extract – A must in any chocolate recipe.
A good quality vanilla really does make a difference and this is my favorite brand.
How To Make Coconut Chocolate Bars:
Heat: You’ll want to slowly bring the butter, milk, and sugar to a low boil over low heat. Boil for 1 minute exactly, stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn!
Chocolate: Remove the pan from the heat and then stir in the chocolate chips and the vanilla extract until the chocolate has fully melted.
Coconut: Stir in the quick rolled oats and the shredded coconut with the chocolate and mix until the batter is well combined.
Chill: Pour the chocolate coconut mixture into a prepared 8×8 cake pan and then cover it with plastic wrap and let it chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
Serve: When the coconut chocolate bars have finished chilling slice into 16 squares for serving, and enjoy!
Feel free to customize these bars with various mix-ins! There’s a number of good options that I think would go well with the coconut & chocolate. Try some of these:
- Chopped Nuts (Almonds/Pecans/Walnuts)
- Mini Marshmallows
- Dried Cranberries
- Peanut Butter Chips
Keep these coconut chocolate bars stored in an airtight container in the fridge for about 4 to 5 days. You can also freeze them for up to 2 months! Separate the layers of bars with wax paper if freezing.
It needs to chill for long enough before you’ll be able to properly slice the it into bars. Chill for at least 4 hours in the fridge, or just leave it in overnight if you are making ahead.