This Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread is one of our favorite ways to use up summer zucchini from the garden – and the perfect excuse to buy zucchini from the supermarket! This moist zucchini bread is perfect with a cup of coffee for breakfast.
Every year I dream of being the type of person that has a garden full of zucchini so that I can walk around telling everyone that I just have so much zucchini and I don’t know what to do with it.
Alas, I am not a gardener.
I mean, I can plant the garden…I’ll even water the garden…I just won’t weed the garden.
It starts to look like a jungle and my husband starts to do this heavy sighing thing he does when I’ve annoyed him and you know what? They sell zucchini at the grocery store anyway.
I sometimes buy 10 things of zucchini with no real plan just so I still have the ‘overflowing garden’ feeling and then have to stress about how to use up the zucchini.
This zucchini bread is super moist, just the right amount of sweet, and has chocolate chips scattered throughout to make each bite extra tasty.
Love chocolate and want even more? Try our chocolate zucchini bread too!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Dry Ingredients – You’ll need flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and powder.
Wet Ingredients – The secret ingredient here is applesauce! It’s going to help keep the zucchini bread moist! Along with the applesauce you’ll need some vegetable oil, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract.
Zucchini – The zucchini adds moisture to the bread, but doesn’t really add flavor. It’s my favorite way to eat this veggie. 😉
Chocolate Chips – This chocolate chip zucchini bread is loaded up with lots of milk chocolate chips for loads of sweet flavor! Semi-sweet or dark chips would work too.
What We Love About This Recipe:
- This chocolate zucchini bread is perfect with your morning coffee, or enjoy it as a snack!
- If you’ve got extra zucchini, this is a great way to use it up before it goes bad.
- The bread is nice and moist thanks to the zucchini and applesauce, but it doesn’t taste like it has veggies in it. Very kid-friendly!
Box Grater – You’ll need a grater for the zucchini. I’d recommend investing in a nice one, they are useful in all sorts of recipes!
Loaf Pan – I love this bread loaf pan! It’s gorgeous, retains heat beautifully heat, and has lasted for years. I always get questions when I share recipes with this loaf pan in the photos, so I wanted to share the link. 🙂 Any old 9×5 loaf pan will do though.
How to Make Zucchini Bread:
Mix: Beat together the wet ingredients until nice and creamy. Add the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t overmix or your bread will end up tough instead of tender.
Zucchini: Add the grated zucchini and chocolate chips to the mixing bowl and stir it altogether with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
Bake: Spread the batter into a loaf pan and pop it in a hot oven. This chocolate chip zucchini bread recipe bakes in about an hour.
Cool: Let it cool for 15 minutes in the pan before removing it to a wire rack to finish cooling. Once cooled, slice with a serrated knife into thick pieces.
We like to top ours with butter!
Wrap your zucchini bread tightly and store at room temperature for 2-3 days. If you plan on keeping your bread for longer than 3 days, I recommend refrigerating it for up to 5 days.
Cool the zucchini bread completely and then wrap it tightly with foil and place in a freezer safe bag. Store in the freezer for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight on the counter before serving.
This recipe uses both oil and applesauce, which contributes to how moist the bread is. It’s also completely packed with zucchini, which contributes plenty of moisture.
Do not overbake the bread and this recipe should come out perfectly moist!
Bake until the top center of the loaf springs back lightly when pressed or a butter knife inserted in the center comes out clean. If you under bake your bread, the center will fall. If you over bake, it will be a bit dry.
The grated zucchini does a few things. As I mentioned above, it adds moisture to the bread. But it also adds some extra nutrition, and it’s a great way to use up any zucchini you have before it goes bad!
MORE ZUCCHINI RECIPES!
- Zucchini Pizza Boats: So good!
- Zucchini Bread with Pineapple: The pineapple adds the best little pop!
- Cheesy Zucchini Rice: My kids love this one!
- Air Fryer Zucchini: It’s low carb and the air fryer makes it super easy!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Add the oil, applesauce, egg, and egg yolk to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Whisk in the brown sugar, sugar, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir just until the flour has disappeared. Do not over mix.
- Add the zucchini and chocolate chips to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes before removing from the loaf pan and cooling on a wire rack.