AMBROSIA SALAD is a simple fruit salad with the addition of marshmallows! My version also has a coconut cream, pistachios, and plenty of oranges, cherries, and pineapple.
My teen and I have been arguing over what a ‘salad’ actually is lately.
It all started when I served up my chicken salad with grapes for lunch the other day.
We eat it often, but suddenly she was so confused about why it’s called ‘salad’ if there is no lettuce in it.
Que Mom, the food nerd, going into excessive detail about the different varieties of salads. 😉
She probably regrets ever questioning it in the first place.
Anyway, today I’m sharing my Ambrosia Salad with you guys – it’s a good one!
It starts with a coconut whipped cream (don’t worry – super easy!) and then gets all the good fruit added to it, like mandarin oranges, pineapples, and marschino cherries.
Did I mention the marshmallows? There are marshmallows.
How to Make:
Refrigerate a can of coconut cream overnight (or longer – you can just store it in the fridge so it’s cold when you need it!) and then scoop the cream out into a mixing bowl.
Reserve the liquid for another use – it’s great in smoothies!
Beat the cream until it’s nice and creamy and then beat in some powdered sugar, and vanilla.
Add mini marshmallows, oranges, pineapple, and cherries to a large bowl and give it a good stir. Pour the cream over the top and fold it altogether.
Chill the ambrosia salad in the fridge for an hour and then top it off with pistachios just before serving. They add the perfect bit of crunch to the salad.
Coconut Whipped Cream
- Be sure that the canned coconut cream is good and cold before starting.
- Chill your mixing bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes prior to adding the coconut cream.
- If your coconut cream has clumps, add a tablespoon of liquid from the can of coconut cream to help soften the mixture.
- Reserve any extra liquid from the can to use in smoothies.
More fruity recipes!
For the Coconut Cream
- 15 ounce can of coconut cream
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Ambrosia
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 30 ounces canned mandarin oranges drained
- 40 ounces canned diced pineapples drained
- 16 ounces jarred maraschino cherries drained and stems removed
- Pistachios de-shelled, for garnish
- Chill the can of coconut cream overnight in a refrigerator
- Before whipping the cream, chill a large mixing bowl for 10 minutes in a freezer
- Remove the lid of the coconut cream and scrape out the thickened cream from the top. Reserve the remaining liquid for another use.
- Put the cream in the mixing bowl and beat until creamy, about 30 seconds.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and whip until smooth, about 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mini marshmallows, mandarin oranges, pineapples, and maraschino cherries and mix to combine.
- Pour the coconut cream over the fruit and marshmallows. Stir until well combined.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
- Sprinkle with pistachios just before serving.