Creamy French Onion Chicken and Rice Casserole
So, I have this weird new food obsession.
Seriously. Rice. It seems so random. I mean, I’ve always liked rice just fine, it’s just not something that I ever really craved or cooked, unless it was my Bacon Fried Rice.
Lately, though, I’m obsessed. I think it has something to do with white rice made in my Instant Pot. It’s the most perfect rice I’ve ever had. Shall I share my recipe sometime?
Anyway, my family is getting sick of plain white rice, so I thought I’d continue my obsession and create something with a little more excitement and flavor. Enter the casserole – my favorite way to serve dinner. 😉
This chicken and rice casserole recipe is pure comfort food and it’s totally simple to throw together. I seasoned this with my favorite little packet of onion soup mix. What is it about those onion soup mixes that are so yummy? I love using them. Check out my French Onion Soup Sliders for a tasty burger.
Anyway, this chicken rice casserole comes together with just a handful of ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. I think you’re going to love this one just as much as we did. Total comfort food and perfect for a chilly day.
French Onion Chicken and Rice
- 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 cups milk
- 2 10 ounce cans cream of chicken soup (or try my homemade cream of chicken soup substitute)
- 1 packet French Onion Soup mix
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Add the rice, milk, cream of chicken soup, and soup mix to a bowl and stir well to combine.
- Pour rice mixture into the baking dish and place chicken tenderloins over the top.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 60 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking.
- Remove the foil and top with the grated cheese. Cover and return to oven for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Sprinkle with parsley just before serving.