It’s that time of year when I’m all about the warm and hearty breakfasts! This Mexican breakfast casserole will hit the spot – and it’s pretty perfect for Christmas morning or brunch with family.
So, the truth is that most mornings the kids eat cereal or toasted bagels. It’s just how we do. Mostly because mama ain’t got time to be cooking three square meals a day.
I mean, okay, maybe I have the time, it’s just that I really don’t want to. I love to cook, obviously, but I don’t like being told I have to cook. Does that make sense? I’m a rebel. I’ll cook when I want and not when you’re hungry.
Alright, I’m not even making sense anymore.
But, then there are the weekends. The husband is there and you just try and serve him a bowl of instant oatmeal. Just try it.
The man wants eggs. He wants meat. He wants a three course meal served on fancy china with three kinds of freshly squeezed juices. <—- That’s a lie and he’s actually perfectly happy to cook his own eggs, but sometimes I feel all 1950s and do it for him.
Love pancakes? So do we! Check out our cookbook, Stack Happy, which features over 70 pancake and syrup recipes for breakfast, dinner, and dessert!
So, those lazy weekend mornings are the perfect time for this Mexican Bagel Breakfast Casserole. You take 15 minutes to toss it all together the night before, put it in the fridge, and then just pop it in the oven when your little people start talking about grumbly tummies.
Breakfast casseroles are nothing new, of course, but I went ahead and updated this one a bit. It’s loaded with both Mexican flavors and Thomas’ bagels. Two fabulous things all in one!
I’ve been working with Thomas’ this year to bring you fun ways to enjoy their bagels and English muffins. Eating bagels because it’s my job? Don’t mind if I do – especially since Thomas’ are my favorite brand of bagels anyway!
The bagels soak up the eggs and take on the perfect texture in this casserole. The flavors from the sausage (try it with a spicy sausage if your littles can deal!), diced tomatoes, green chiles, and cheese just bring it all together. I love something with BIG flavor in the morning and this delivers!
If you’re really feeling it, try dicing some avocado over the top before serving!
One last thing – see how pretty this casserole? Pretty – and red and green. Perfect for Christmas morning, guys!
Mexican Bagel Breakfast Casserole
- 4 Thomas’ Bagels
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes with chiles 1 can
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Chop the bagels into bite sized pieces. Place in a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- Brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat, breaking it up as you go. Once fully cooked, drain the grease and pour the sausage crumbles over the bagels.
- Top with the canned tomatoes and chiles.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour mixture over the bagels.
- Top with the shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and let sit for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10 more minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and let sit 5 minutes before serving.