My husband has been working out of state for the past 5 months (more on that another day), but he’s finally back home with us.
It’s a lot of work.
You see, the husband likes breakfast. He thinks it’s, like, a requirement or something. He’s so weird.
The kids are happy with cold cereal, I’m happy with stuffing. What is his problem?
Anyway, to welcome him back home, I made him these scones for breakfast.
I might just start making breakfast more often. These were divine. There are plenty of chunks of banana scattered throughout these and those keep the scones nice and moist. Drizzle on some Nutella and you’ve got breakfast.
- 2 cups flour - I used white whole wheat, all-purpose would work fine
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large banana, diced
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut in the butter.
- Add the cream and vanilla to the dry mixture and stir until the mixture begins to come together. Stir in the banana and continue working the dough until it comes together. Add another tablespoon or two of cream if needed.
- Pat the dough out into a disk about 1 inch thick. Use a knife or pizza cutter to slice the dough into 8 triangles. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom and done through the middle.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Place the Nutella in a microwave safe dish and heat until just soft enough to drizzle over the scones. Place in a piping bag or just use a spoon to drizzle on top of the scones.