Biscuits and Chocolate Gravy

There was a time in my life when I wondered just what the heck I was doing with myself. I wasn’t making a difference to anyone but my immediate family. I wasn’t out there saving the whales, or waving around signs and shouting in protest, I wasn’t living in a tree for 3 years so that no one could cut the tree down. Then I began to blog.

What, you might be wondering, am I talking about? I write a food blog, for the love of Pete! I’m still not saving any whales!

First, I say, don’t hate.

Second, you watch your mouth, missy.

Third, I am totally changing the world. I’m changing your world. I’m introducing you to delicious, chocolatey goodies. Take this chocolate gravy, for instance. Up until about 30 seconds ago, half of you probably didn’t even know there was such a thing as chocolate gravy. You led a sad life. No, make that tragic. You led a tragic life and you probably cried yourself to sleep each night, am I right?

No more, I say. No more!

See? I am totally, completely, superbly important. Without me, you wouldn’t know how to make biscuits and chocolate gravy for breakfast any ol’ time you feel like it. You can have ‘em for a snack or dessert too, if you’d like. Me? I just eat my chocolate drenched biscuits all day long. The gravy is nice and thick, much like a warm chocolate pudding. Not too sweet and just the right amount of richness.

I just changed your world. For the better.

Chocolate Gravy
enough to cover about 8 biscuits

• 8 tbsp butter
  • 4 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar (add up to 1/4 cup more if you like it sweeter!)
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
  • tiny pinch of salt

Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan. Stir in the cocoa powder and flour until well combined and bubbly from the heat. Stir in the sugar until the mixture is nice and thick, then slowly add in the milk whisking constantly. Continue cooking over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture has thickened into a gravy-like consistency. This should take about 5 minutes. Stir in the salt and vanilla and remove from the heat. Spoon over freshly baked biscuits.

Don’t forget to check out some of my holiday traditions and share a few of your own with me! You can also enter to win a trip home for the Holidays with Folgers!

45 Responses to “Biscuits and Chocolate Gravy”

1. Maria November 11, 2010 @ 3:26 pm (#

Oh my! I am loving that gravy! Thumbs up:)

2. Megan November 11, 2010 @ 3:28 pm (#

Holy hot mama that looks amazing!

3. Deborah November 11, 2010 @ 3:29 pm (#

Are you serious? I think I’ve just died and gone to heaven! What a brilliant idea!!

4. SUSAN November 11, 2010 @ 3:31 pm (#

I have been making and eating biscuits and chocolate gravy for over 20 years! One of my favorite breakfast foods – everyone must try this recipe!

5. Jessica @ How Sweet November 11, 2010 @ 3:36 pm (#

Chocolate gravy?! WHAT!!? I have never heard of this. How is this possible? Oh… you know what I’m making this weekend.

6. The Blue-Eyed Bakers November 11, 2010 @ 3:52 pm (#

Um….we are so SO SOOOO happy you just posted this. Amazing. Delicious. Fantastic.

7. Monica November 11, 2010 @ 4:20 pm (#

Your posts always make me laugh! And you’re right, I didn’t know chocolate gravy existed and therefore I had a tragic life, up until about 45 seconds ago. Thank you!

8. Joanne November 11, 2010 @ 6:23 pm (#

I feel like a saved dolphin. Or whale. Thank you.

9. Abbey November 11, 2010 @ 7:47 pm (#

omg! i love this!

10. Michelle G November 11, 2010 @ 8:06 pm (#

Oh, I see a romantic fireside dinner with the love of my life and this will be dessert! Thank you for sharing:)

11. Lindsay November 11, 2010 @ 10:41 pm (#

I LOVE this. I think that I might make this as brunch on christmas morning. Do you happen to have the recipe for the Biscuits you used??

12. Amanda L. November 12, 2010 @ 5:59 am (#

I think my life is whole because of this chocolate gravy. LOVE

13. DessertForTwo November 12, 2010 @ 9:28 am (#

You are hilarious! Love it :)

14. megan @ whatmegansmaking November 12, 2010 @ 12:15 pm (#

Chocolate gravy??? You’re right, my life has been tragic up until now! This is going on my “to make” list!

15. Jessi @ Quirky Cookery November 12, 2010 @ 7:14 pm (#

I just now found your site, but I can already tell that you’re changing the world for the better. Introducing people to strange foods like chocolate gravy on biscuits? Oh yeah, that’s better than saving the whales right there, hehe.

16. Lacey November 14, 2010 @ 1:28 am (#

I am so tickled that you posted this! My family eats this as often as we dare, but we call it “chocolate and biscuits”. This is our “go to” breakfast for all special occassions such as holidays, first day of school, hooray for you days, and I just want today to be special type days too. My mom grew up on it (I think they had it every Sunday), and my grandad grew up on it too. Both of my teenaged daughters have it memorized so no matter where there are they can whip up a batch too. Thanks for shring it with the world!

17. TripleZmom (formerly Jerseygirl89) November 14, 2010 @ 2:07 pm (#

Note to self: Do NOT read this blog when hungry.

But do forward recipes to husband, as a subtle hint.

18. Barbara November 15, 2010 @ 5:59 am (#

Awesome, Karly! My favorite with biscuits (up until I read this) was maple syrup over biscuits. Chocolate gravy has that beat hands down!

19. grace November 16, 2010 @ 5:28 am (#

i think i speak for all of your readers when i say thank you. thank you very much. :)

20. amandaintennessee November 17, 2010 @ 7:37 am (#

I’ve always felt this was one of the perks of living in the South…everyone’s mama knew how to make chocolate gravy! To say I have it made is an understatement….

21. Mimi Deb November 17, 2010 @ 9:44 am (#

yep, had chocolate gravy all my life ! my kids love it and now I am making it for my grandkids and they love it. But you are right hardly anyone has heard of it !

22. Ashley @ honeysucklechic.com November 17, 2010 @ 4:00 pm (#

Yum!! My grandmother made this all time for when while growing up in Tn!!! I loved the huge southern breakfasts we’d eat at her house! I’m def making this for my family too! Thanks for the blast from the past!

Ashley
    honeysucklechic.com

23. Paula November 17, 2010 @ 8:14 pm (#

When my daughter was a teenager we would have a chocolate gravy party on Sunday morning before church and all her friends would gather round the table…good times…sweet memories made. MY grandmother also made sugar syrup when I was young. Anyone ever eat warm buttery sweet sugar syrup? Yum!

24. dspears November 17, 2010 @ 10:15 pm (#

What childhood memories tis brings.

25. dspears November 17, 2010 @ 10:16 pm (#

What childhood memories this brings back.

26. Haley December 12, 2010 @ 2:07 pm (#

I grew up on Chocolate Gravy and it made my day to see this post. My friends all thought we were crazy when my mother would make biscuits and chocolate gravy for breakfast after sleepovers, then they would request it the next time. lol It is still our Christmas morning breakfast favorite!
    I am so glad I was directed to your blog! A link for your bacon and cheese dip is floating around Facebook and now I am a fan.

27. Josephine December 17, 2010 @ 2:50 am (#

Love chocolate gravy! It’s been a family tradition of our since I was little.

On a side note, there’s a word for “bubbly from the heat.” It’s called “boiling.”

28. A Chef January 5, 2011 @ 1:16 pm (#

This is not a gravy, dumbass. It’s just chocolate sauce.

29. Sheila January 11, 2011 @ 9:46 pm (#

To “A Chef”,
    Not sure why you were so rude, but you are also SO wrong. It most certainly IS a gravy.

30. Ashley January 20, 2011 @ 4:59 pm (#

Wow this is definitely mind blowing.

31. Ashley January 20, 2011 @ 4:59 pm (#

Okay that might have sounded sarcastic but I meant it sincerely!

32. Cora February 5, 2011 @ 5:03 pm (#

I’ve been looking for something like this since my brother died (he was the last one in the family to know how to make it and never wrote it down). I’m gonna try it and see if it’s the same. I don’t remember the flour in the recipe though – is it for thickening the syrup into gravy?

33. Jamaise February 5, 2011 @ 9:06 pm (#

I’ve just found my Valentine’s Day breakfast :))

34. ashley February 7, 2011 @ 12:33 pm (#

I too am wondering what the best type of biscuit would be for this?

35. Karly February 7, 2011 @ 3:13 pm (#

Ashley,

I like buttermilk biscuits. I cheated this time and got the frozen ones in the freezer section, but any biscuit that you’d eat for breakfast works great!

I’ll have to share my biscuit recipe one of these days…it’s a good one!

Enjoy!
    Karly

36. Scott February 13, 2011 @ 1:55 pm (#

I saw this mentioned at BlogHer in the 14 Days of Chocolate. I had to subscribe to your blog just because you are one of the “In Crowd” on this meal of delectable chocolaty goodness. This has been a family favorite for generations and I know that my kids will pass it along as well. But I have to ask everyone that grew up with this, “do you have family ties to Arkansas or Oklahoma?” Chocolate Gravy and Biscuits seems to be an Arkie/Oakie thing. Keep spreading the word!

37. Kristen March 4, 2011 @ 4:37 pm (#

I adore chocolate gravy; my Mom made it all the time growing up. I recently posted a tweaked ‘adult’ version of her recipe on my blog. So comforting and delicious!

PS – LOVE your blog, recently discovered your site!

38. Shanna March 10, 2011 @ 9:59 pm (#

Nom nom nom! This is amazing. Thank you!

Just found your blog. It’s hilarious. Thanks or the fun.

39. April March 23, 2011 @ 6:48 pm (#

I LOVE biscuits with chocolate gravy. It was always a treat when we would go to my grandma’s house growing up. It was the food highlight of the trip. This is the first time I have heard of a family “outsider” enjoying it. Yummy!!!!

40. Tina Jansen April 6, 2011 @ 1:22 am (#

I love you, you are charming , funny, and have a way with chocolate!! You remind me of the bloggers, Margaret and Helen, you are the cooking part of the political satire of Margaret and Helen.. Thanks, for the giggles, and the recipes..

41. Rita D November 16, 2011 @ 4:19 pm (#

I do believe I’ll be getting chocolate wasted on some of these. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

42. Tena Stroup April 2, 2012 @ 8:35 am (#

My Mother use to make this for us when we were kids. When I was 18 I was in the Hospital and she road the bus there to bring me this. She passed away 22 years ago and we never got the receipe. It was one of “Mother’s Treats”.
    Now I can make it for my Grandchildren – Bless you

43. Trish July 30, 2012 @ 12:14 pm (#

My husband has talked about the chocolate gravy that his mom made when he was a child. Thank you! Now I can make it for him.

44. Anna Witt October 6, 2013 @ 1:31 am (#

I have had chocolate gravy all my life. My mamma’s family were Cherokee and Choctaw Indians…. Mamma told me she was raised on chocolate gravy… she said they may not have much of anything else, but they had chocolate gravy and biscuits… Growing up, we only got chocolate gravy as a special treat, only on Christmas, or birthdays… When I would tell my school friends of our special treat they were flummoxed… none of them had ever heard of chocolate gravy… some thought it sounded nasty (if they only knew! HA! More for me!!) I always swore that I would not marry a man unless he knew what chocolate gravy was … that was my marriage criteria :) HAHAHA! I DID meet a man who knew what chocolate gravy was! His mother’s family also had heavy Native American ancestry and he also had chocolate gravy all his life… so I have always wondered if this recipe did not originate with the Native Americans? My recipe has the same ingredients yours does, but I do use a different prep method…. I am so thankful that my mother was old enough to learn this recipe before her mother passed away (when mom was 14) … her younger sisters (my aunts) make their own version of this recipe and it tastes nasty to me… almost burnt, or bitter…
    I enjoyed seeing that your recipe mirrors mine ingredient-wise.. I have seen some that use water instead of milk…

Karly Reply:

Oh, maybe it is a Native American thing! I’m not sure! Either way, it’s fantastic! :)