Pumpkin Pancakes

Two days ago I had the central air on in my house. Last night I had the heat on. Oh, Fall. You’re so confusing. But I love you anyway, mostly because when you come around it means that I have an excuse to make pumpkin this and pumpkin that and pumpkin everything.

Take these pumpkin pancakes! They would be absolutely fabulous before work or school on a cool Fall morning. Not that I would know, as I’m too lazy to cook breakfast when my kids are perfectly content to eat cold cereal. However! I am happy to serve pancakes for dinner every now and again, so let me assure you: These pancakes also make a wonderful dinner (brinner!) on a cool, windy Fall evening.

Top ‘em with butter and real maple syrup, serve with a side of bacon or sausage and some scrambled eggs, maybe some fresh fruit if you’re feeling healthful, and you’ve got yourself one amazing breakfast or dinner. Or just be like me and eat a stack of pancakes because somehow, frying bacon just seemed like too much work. Don’t worry, that was just a one time thing…my love of bacon generally overcomes any laziness I may have in the kitchen.

Pumpkin Pancakes
serves 6

• 2 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 3 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (or 1 1/2 cups milk + 1 tbsp vinegar)
  • 1 cup canned or fresh pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp canola oil

Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl combine the wet ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until everything is incorporated.

Heat a lightly greased griddle or frying pan over medium heat. When hot, pour on the pancake batter (I like to make small pancakes, but you can make them whatever size you want) and brown on both sides. The batter comes out rather thick, but don’t thin it with more milk. Just spread the batter on the griddle a bit to thin it. Serve with butter and real maple syrup.

26 Responses to “Pumpkin Pancakes”

1. megan @ whatmegansmaking September 27, 2010 @ 7:18 am (#

I think you’re right – I will greatly regret if I don’t make these sometime this fall! I love trying new pancake recipes. Now I just have to find some pumpkin!

2. Jessica @ How Sweet September 27, 2010 @ 7:25 am (#

I can’t get enough pumpkin. Adding these to the list!

3. Michelle September 27, 2010 @ 8:13 am (#

Loving that color, and they sound delicious.

4. Jenni September 27, 2010 @ 8:35 am (#

Pumpkins and pancakes is like a dream combination!

5. Domestic Nerd September 27, 2010 @ 8:38 am (#

These look SOOOO yummy!! Can’t wait to try them!!!

6. Joanne September 27, 2010 @ 1:13 pm (#

You have no idea how wide my eyes got when I saw these. My pupils dilated and my heart started racing. It was love at first sight.

7. my boyfriend cooks for me September 27, 2010 @ 4:32 pm (#

I recently posted a list of all my favorite fall recipes (which obviously feature pumpkin!), and pancakes was definitely on there…

8. x3baking September 27, 2010 @ 5:09 pm (#

Great idea! I used to hate pumpkins, but now I love them. They’re so healthy for you and taste yummy. Adding them to pancakes is awesome. Btw, is white whole wheat flour healthier than all purpose? Also, can I use all purpose flour instead of white whole wheat for this recipe? Thank you. :)

9. Kathleen September 27, 2010 @ 10:02 pm (#

I’m so jealous of all these pumpkin recipes! Pumpkin is nowhere to be found in our grocery stores. Some great pumpkin shortage of 2010 or something. I miss it!

10. Sarah September 27, 2010 @ 10:57 pm (#

This just ruined my morning.
    I’m about to go grab something to eat before going to school.
    And it won’t be those. :(

11. Danielle September 28, 2010 @ 3:02 pm (#

I’ve made them before and they looked nothing like yours! I can’t wait to try this recipe out!

12. Tracy October 1, 2010 @ 8:49 am (#

I love these!! Bookmarked them to make this weekend, yum!

13. Nicole October 2, 2010 @ 9:59 am (#

I just made these this morning and they are great! They aren’t too sweet so they pair perfectly with syrup and the recipe left plenty of leftovers for the two of us. (I could have cut it I suppose, but then there wouldn’t be frozen pancakes for later!)

I had a little trouble getting the first few pancakes thin enough to cook through without the outsides getting to dark but I learned soon enough. Thanks for the recipe!

14. Emily October 2, 2010 @ 10:01 pm (#

I was just thinking about what I should do with the leftover pumpkin puree in my fridge. Now I know what I’m making for breakfast tomorrow!

15. Bridget October 4, 2010 @ 8:09 am (#

I HAVE to try these! Can’t wait!

16. natalie (the sweets life) October 16, 2010 @ 3:24 pm (#

making these tomorrow-can’t wait :)

17. radio in america October 16, 2010 @ 4:19 pm (#

18. Ashley October 18, 2010 @ 5:24 pm (#

Mmm okay I totally want to eat pancakes and scrambled eggs for dinner tonight! Though that won’t help produce leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

19. FireMom October 19, 2010 @ 5:18 pm (#

I’m going to make these on Halloween morning … but without cinnamon. (I’m allergic.) I think I’ll just bump up the nutmeg, like I normally do in recipes that call for cinnamon.

Gorgeous pictures, by the way.

20. Inconvienient Comment November 18, 2010 @ 8:00 am (#

wonderful recipe!

Unfortunately I don’t believe it’s falls fault however, it’s the result of climate change.

21. Alicia November 19, 2010 @ 8:34 pm (#

I am totally making these for dinner soon! Decadent!

22. A Teenage Gourmet November 21, 2010 @ 8:42 am (#

I have a couple tips for anyone who wants to make these.

1) Let the batter rest for 5 minutes so that the flour absorbs. This will ensure that the center of the pancakes isn’t raw (because the batter is thick!).

2) Used browned butter to cook the pancakes. It’s a great bonus!

23. Kim December 24, 2010 @ 9:23 pm (#

I used Pumpkin Spice Kefir in replace of buttermilk in my batter and whole wheat pastry flour!! I also used Wholesome Sweetners brand dark brown sugar. I replaced the oil w/applesauce mmmm mmmm!

24. Amilia Nimblett October 13, 2011 @ 7:03 pm (#

Oh goodness! I have to try these SOON! They look amazing. Thanks for sharing!

25. Stacy October 25, 2012 @ 7:27 pm (#

I got a request for some from my 13 year old for Saturday. I have to make regular though for his older bro. He doesn’t like pumpkin lol! I’m going to make that ice cream recipe this weekend. getting more evap. milk tomorrow to make more sweeten. condens.milk.

26. slingshot braves hack apk June 8, 2014 @ 11:56 pm (#

Hi there, this weekend is good designed for me, for
    the reason that this point in time i am reading this fantastic
    informative piece of writing here at my residence.