Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Strawberry Coulis

Everyone has little (or sometimes big) failures in the kitchen every now and then and I truly expected this pound cake to be one of my failures. You see, I was in a rush while I was mixing the ingredients and I made a mistake. Instead of using 1 1/2 cups of butter, I only used 1 1/2 sticks of butter (which is 3/4 of a cup). I didn’t realize this until the cake was already in the oven.

I hate when I make silly mistakes like that!

Happily, the cake still turned out pretty good! It was missing that super buttery flavor that I had hoped for, but it was still yummy, especially with the strawberry coulis poured on top of it!

When you make it (because you will make it, right?), please use the correct amount of butter. Learn from my mistakes. You really don’t want to live in a world where half of the butter is missing from your cake.

The strawberry coulis is amazing and I could have happily eaten it with a spoon. It was the perfect combination of tart and sweet and it was so fresh tasting. You could also use raspberries or blackberries, but be sure to adjust the sugar as needed!

Cream Cheese Pound Cake
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com

• 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
  • 3 cups white sugar
  • 6 eggs, room temperature
  • 3 cups cake flour (all-purpose flour will also work if you don’t have cake)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees and grease and flour a bundt pan.

Cream together the cream cheese, butter, and sugar. Add in the eggs one at a time and make sure they are completely incorporated before adding the next. Add in the vanilla. Dump in the flour all at once and mix until combined.Pour batter into bundt pan and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, checking with a cake tester after 1 hour.

Strawberry Coulis

• 2 cups (12 ounces) hulled strawberries
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons sugar

Add everything to a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Press through a mesh strainer to remove all the seeds. Refrigerate until ready to use.

22 Responses to “Cream Cheese Pound Cake with Strawberry Coulis”

1. Maria April 5, 2010 @ 10:41 am (#

Such a pretty cake. Love it!

2. Barbara April 5, 2010 @ 10:54 am (#

Isn’t it annoying when you’ve already stuck it in the oven??? I’ve actually pulled something out and added whatever I forgot. However…..that would not work in this case! Weren’t you lucky it turned out so well? I wouldn’t have expected that and I bet you didn’t either!
    It look delicious!

3. Natalie (The Sweets Life) April 5, 2010 @ 11:06 am (#

My father in law would love this and his bday is coming up…this might be the winning dessert :) (with all the butter of course, as he’s a huge fan of butter!)

4. katerina April 5, 2010 @ 11:35 am (#

Hmm, so if it turned out with half the butter why would I double it? heheh.

The coulis looks great, I just love how easy it is to make coulis and get amazing flavourr with little effort.

5. Karly April 5, 2010 @ 12:03 pm (#

Katerina,

Oh, it turned out fine without the extra butter, but it was definitely missing something. That extra butter would have made it a bit more moist and flavorful! It was good as it was, but it could have been extraordinary.

Don’t skimp on the butter. It’s a law. ;)

Karly

6. Sook @ My Fabulous Recipes April 5, 2010 @ 2:32 pm (#

Oh I love strawberries!! Can’t wait to make this.

7. grace April 5, 2010 @ 5:06 pm (#

i’m glad it turned out to be edible, albeit a little less sinful and decadent. the coulis is an attractive and tasty touch!

8. Kat April 5, 2010 @ 11:46 pm (#

OHMYGOD. I want to make that like whoa.

9. shelly (cookies and cups) April 6, 2010 @ 9:25 am (#

Still looks great and you can bill it a “light” cake..right?! :)

10. Jen @ How To: Simplify April 6, 2010 @ 9:53 am (#

Wow! This looks amazing! Pound cake made with cream cheese…and topped with strawberries?! You have my mouth watering!

11. Michelle April 6, 2010 @ 5:14 pm (#

This looks so picture-perfect that I bet no one guessed you were missing half the butter. You can just call it “light pound cake.”

12. Erica Lea April 6, 2010 @ 8:41 pm (#

Oh, hate it when that happens. Especially when you realize 10 minutes after you’ve shoved the item into the oven.

Looks like your cake was pretty good – but I agree…half the butter, not so good. :D

13. Kathleen April 6, 2010 @ 8:51 pm (#

This combo sounds so wonderful! I love cream cheese pound cake!

14. Jill April 7, 2010 @ 8:56 pm (#

You are evil. Plain and simple.

p.s. Rachel (@asthrnfairytale) put a call out for fav foodie blogs today and @playgroupie named you! Oh yes… you are full of teh awesome. Yes you are!

15. Ashley April 11, 2010 @ 11:25 pm (#

Aw I’ve definitely made mistakes like that about the butter. I’ve also thought I made a mistake, corrected it, then realized I didn’t make a mistake and had too much of something in there haha. Anyway this cream cheese poundcake looks amazing! I’ve never made one with cream cheese before, actually never made one at all.

16. gramps April 13, 2010 @ 11:00 am (#

Made it will ALL the butter!!!!! Amazing cake
    Haven;t yet added the coulis—today for sure

17. Simone (junglefrog) April 13, 2010 @ 11:19 am (#

Glad to know that I am not the only one who makes silly mistakes like that! But let’s be honest; in my mind it’s really the fault of all those different measurements out there! it drives me insane sometimes! Your cake looks gorgeous and that strawberry coulis… well, that just looks divine..:)

18. Barefoot Belle April 25, 2010 @ 9:08 pm (#

This is one of my favorite pound cake recipes! I first saw the recipe on Smitten Kitchen with the strawberry coulis, but I later found out that it was the same as my mom’s recipe, the one I had eaten my whole life! I guess you don’t mess with a good thing.

19. Tanya August 22, 2010 @ 8:25 pm (#

This is very similar to my favourite recipe…the tiny difference being the addition of almond extract along with the vanilla– so yummy!

20. emmelle July 25, 2012 @ 7:21 pm (#

Actually, a stick of butter is half a cup (at least it is in the US, which means 3 sticks would be 1 1/2 cups) so you did in fact use the correct amount!

emmelle Reply:

I’m an idiot. For some reason I misread what you wrote! :)

1. Pingback: Do you menu plan? « tutusandrainboots