I realize that all of you (well, all of you Americans) are still stuffed full of turkey and pumpkin pie and maybe some pecan pie and bread pudding, too. I get it. You don’t want to whip up some elaborate meal or fancy dessert until you’ve recovered from Thanksgiving. That’s why I’m about to share with you a quick, no-bake recipe for Scotcheroos.
Never heard of a Scotcheroo? They are similar to rice krispy treats, but they don’t have marshmallow. It’s just rice krispies, corn syrup, sugar, peanut butter, chocolate and, of course, butterscotch chips. Simple, easy, and best of all? Delicious.
A quick and favorite tip of mine for any kind of bar type dessert (brownies, no-bake bars, etc.) is to line your pan with either parchment paper or wax paper and leave a bit hanging over the edges. When your ready to cut, just lift the whole thing out of the pan. It makes it much easier to cut and you don’t smoosh up the sides trying to dig things out with a fork.
Back to the Scotcheroos. You should make these. Immediately. Kids love ‘em, adults love ‘em, co-workers love ‘em, the mailman loves ‘em. More importantly, you will love them.
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups butterscotch chips
- Line a 9 x 13 pan with parchment or wax paper.
- Add sugar and corn syrup to sauce pan and stir over medium heat until it reaches a rolling boil. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, add six cups of crispy rice cereal. Pour on the peanut butter mixture and stir until all the cereal pieces are coated. Spread in prepared pan.
- In a double boiler (or the microwave) melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips together. Spread on top of cereal and refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Cut into squares.