These OATMEAL BROWNIES are all dressed up for Easter with pastel candies atop fudgy brownies and a crispy oatmeal peanut mixture.
Is there anything more fun than doctoring up a box of brownie mix to make something fun and festive for you family?
My kids are absolutely obsessed with these Easter oatmeal brownies.
You still have a rich, fudgy brownie, but it’s topped off with sweet oatmeal, peanut, and m&m mixture that adds some fun texture to the brownies.
No one can resist the pastel m&m candies this time of year!
Brownie Mix – Make sure to get a box of brownie mix that’s meant for a 9×13 pan. We want thick, fudgy brownies here.
Oil, Egg, & Water – As called for on your box mix.
Oats – Old fashioned oats or quick oats will both work here.
Peanuts – Salted and roasted, preferred.
M&M Candies – We used the regular variety, but peanut or peanut butter would both be delicious too!
How to Make:
Make the Brownies: There’s nothing tricky or fancy here. Just prepare the batter as directed on the box for a 9×13 baking dish. Pour it into a greased dish.
Make the Topping: Add your oats, brown sugar, peanuts, and melted butter to a small bowl and stir to combine. Stir in the m&m’s.
Combine: Sprinkle the oat mixture evenly over the top of the brownie batter.
Bake: Bake the brownies for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted one inch from the edge of the pan comes out *mostly* clean.
How to tell when brownies are done:
We like our brownies to be fudgy and soft – not overbaked and dry.
To achieve this, we place the tester (a knife or a toothpick) one inch from the edge of the pan. Testing in the center of the pan will result in overdone brownies.
When our tester comes out mostly clean, with just a few stray crumbs, we know the brownies are ready.
Which box mix is best?
This is definitely a personal preference thing, but I can confirm that my mother-in-law makes the BEST boxed brownies. They are absolutely perfect every single time and her secret is that she uses the cheapest box of brownie mix she can find. <– Sounds crazy, but they are so good!
We skip over the expensive brands, look on the bottom shelf at the store, and grab the off brand brownies. Delicious!
Of course, this recipe will work with any brand of brownie mix – just be sure you get the 9×13 version or you’ll have sad, thin brownies and no one wants that!
More easter favorites!
Easter Oatmeal Brownies
- 18.3 ounces boxed brownie mix
- eggs, oil, and water as called for on the box
- 2/3 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts
- 11 ounces pastel M&M candies
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9×13 baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add brownie mix in a mixing bowl and prepare brownies according to package directions. Pour into the prepared pan.
- In a separate bowl, add melted butter, brown sugar, oatmeal and peanuts. Mix well. Fold in 3/4 of the candies. Sprinkle mixture on top of brownies. Add remaining candies to the top of the brownies.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until the center is set and edges begin to pull away from the pan.
- Let cool before cutting into 16 squares.