I love a good chicken fajita recipe and this one does not disappoint! It’s a fun spin on two favorite dinners.
Do you want to hear the saddest thing ever?
Grab some tissues, because you’re sure to be sobbing in a minute.
We moved to Nebraska (gah, I know, you’re tired of hearing about this!) and the thing that I was most excited about for this move was the fact that there is a huge Hispanic community here which means lots of authentic Mexican food. Well. The only Mexican food I’ve eaten since moving here has been from Amgios (a fast food chain, but it’s actually quite yummy!) and Qdoba. Oh, and Carlos O’Kelly’s.
What is my problem? Why am I being such a loser? Why have I not eaten at every real Mexican joint in town?
I should be banned from Nebraska.
Anyway, even though I fail at eating out, I’ve been making tons of tex-mex food at home. Tons. We eat these fried tacos like there is no tomorrow.
So, since it’s summer and everyone wants to be out on the patio cooking on the grill, I decided to put a spin on some chicken fajitas. I turned ’em into burgers and holy moly, they are so good!
They remind me a bit of my Taco Sliders, which are always a total hit in this house.
I cooked my onions and peppers in my favorite cast iron skillet, but you could totally put these in a grill basket and not even mess with the stove. Just add the veggies to the basket and cook them on the grill right alongside the burgers.
I topped these with my favorite guacamole recipe, but sour cream or mayo would be just fine too!
Chicken Fajita Burgers
For the burgers:
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Cholula hot sauce or your favorite brand
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bell peppers your choice of colors
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 sandwich buns
- 4 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, egg, bread crumbs, hot sauce, garlic powder, and salt. Use your hands to combine. Pat into 4 equal sized patties.
- Place the chicken patties on a hot grill over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until cooked through. Top with the cheese, turn off the grill, and close the lid to let the cheese melt. Remove to a plate.
- While the burgers are cooking, heat a large skillet over high heat and melt the butter. Thinly slice the peppers and onions and add to the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until peppers and onions are tender crisp and slightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat another skillet over medium heat and butter each bun. Toast the buns the buns until golden.
- Top the buns with guacamole, burgers, and vegetables to serve.
This post contains affiliate links.
Leave a Review