I was digging around in the kitchen the other day looking for something to make for breakfast. I had a couple of avocados that were about to go bad and a couple pounds of bacon just begging me to fry them up.
We all know how well bacon and avocado go together right? They’re sorta made for each other.
The more I thought about all of my options, the more I realized that I didn’t really want breakfast. I mean, yeah. It was 9am. Total breakfast food time. But, what I really wanted was a sandwich. Or a chicken fajita.
So, I married the two ideas and this Chicken Fajita Sandwich with Guacamole and Bacon was born.
I’m not ashamed to say that I scarfed this down in, oh, about two minutes flat.
Seriously, the spicy chicken and vegetables worked so well with the creamy coolness of the guacamole. And the bacon? Well, it just completely brought everything together.
Maybe you’ll want these for lunch or dinner, but I’m not gonna lie. This was the best breakfast I’ve had in awhile!
Chicken Fajita Sandwiches with Guacamole and Bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle pepper powder
- 2 chicken breasts sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 bell pepper I used red, but any color works well, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 onion sliced into thin strips
- 8 slices bacon fried crisp
- 1/2 recipe guacamole
- 4 sandwich rolls
- In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium heat.
- While the butter is melting, combine the spices in a small bowl and stir to mix.
- Place the onions and peppers in the hot skillet and stir to coat with the butter. Cook for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the strips of chicken to the skillet. Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the chicken, onions, and peppers and stir to coat. Continue cooking, stirring often, about 5 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Pile up some of the chicken, peppers, and onions evenly onto each split sandwich roll.
- Top with 2 slices of bacon and a big scoop of guacamole.
- Serve immediately.