Who wants a heaping slice of this taco lasagna? I do, I do! This taco casserole recipe just uses a handful of ingredients and it’s a huge hit with the family!
Oh, yes, that’s right. I made you all a Mexican lasagna with tortillas instead of noodles. It’s one of those easy weeknight recipes that the entire family gets excited about when they see it come out of the oven, all steamy and cheesy and gooey.
I mean, my family love love loves taco night. Thank goodness for that, because we seriously eat some form of tacos every couple of days. My fried tacos are always a hit.
In fact, I’ve been on a major scrambled egg taco kick lately. It’s the easiest dinner in the world – scramble some eggs, stuff them in a steamy tortilla, top with cheddar, and drizzle on some hot sauce. It’s probably the most perfect comfort food on the planet and it takes about 5 minutes to make.
This taco bake is perfect for busy weeknights!
But, anyway! Sometimes we eat beef tacos like normal humans. And by sometimes, I mean a lot. The kids never complain about tacos, but the husband starts to get this look in his eyes when he sees me pull out the tortilla warmer. A look that says, “can we maybe eat dinner with a fork just once this week?”
Forks. Pfft. Overrated. But, I love the man, so I turned my love of tacos into this Mexican lasagna with tortillas! The recipe is just seven ingredients and beyond simple to throw together!
I use a can of Nacho Cheese Soup in here, because hello. Nacho cheese! You can swap in cheddar soup or cream of chicken/mushroom soup, if you prefer! You could also probably get away with just melting up some Velveeta with milk in place of the canned soup. I mean, this is a pretty simple recipe and I can’t imagine you’ll be able to mess it up!
Hope you love this spin on tacos as much as we do!
Update: Y’all loved this recipe so much that I decided we needed a burrito version as well! Check out my Burrito Casserole and give that a try too!
Give this taco lasagna a try and let me know what you think!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can Ro*Tel diced tomatoes with chiles, drained
- 1 can Nacho Cheese Soup
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 12 8-inch soft tortillas
- guacamole, cilantro, sour cream for topping, as desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x9 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Add the beef to a large skillet over medium heat and crumble as it cooks. Drain grease when cooked through.
- Add the taco seasoning and water to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes.
- Dump the tomatoes, cheese soup, and sour cream into a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the cooked meat.
- Place 3 tortillas in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with 1/3 of the meat mixture.
- Repeat layers, ending with a layer of tortillas on the top. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until hot and melty.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped cilantro, guacamole, and extra sour cream, as desired.