Peanut Butter & Jelly Shortbread Bars
Oh, yes. That’s right. I married peanut butter and jelly together in the tastiest way I could think of. Shortbread!
I don’t know about you guys, but I just love shortbread cookies. Normally I like my cookies soft and chewy, but sometimes you just really need a piece of shortbread. It’s crisp, but it also melts in your mouth. Magical.
I was lucky enough to get a jar of Peter Pan’s new Simply Ground peanut butter in the mail last week and I knew I had to put it to good use. They asked me to create you guys a recipe featuring the product and I think this recipe is perfection!
Peter Pan Simply Ground is a fun new peanut butter – it’s creamy and spreadable, just how I like it, but it also has tiny little chunks of peanuts in there. It’s like a homemade peanut butter, without all of the work! And there are no weirdo ingredients lurking in the jar either! Love that.
I also really dig the jar of this peanut butter – it has a nice wide opening, so I can dip my spoon in there all day long. Or crackers. Or celery. Orrrrrr my whole hand for a really big scoop, not that I would know anything about that.
Simply Ground comes in both honey roasted and original. I like the original in this recipe and on my sandwiches, but I like the honey roasted for eating straight from the jar. It’s the perfect little sweet treat and it’s packed with protein.
Anyway, this shortbread is a bit different from traditional shortbread. The peanut butter is mixed right in with the butter! It gives this a slightly chewier texture than traditional shortbread. I patted this dough out into a 9×13 pan and then took some jelly and swirled it through the dough. Shortbread dough is thick and not the easiest thing to swirl jelly in, but grab a knife and go for it!
Hope you guys like these little peanut butter and jelly shortbread bars as much as we do!
Peanut Butter and Jelly Shortbread Bars
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup jelly
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add butter, peanut butter, sugar, and vanilla to mixer and beat well until fluffy and well combined.
- Beat in flour.
- Press dough into prepared baking dish.
- Warm jelly in microwave for 15 seconds to make it more easily spreadable. Drop spoonfuls of jelly across the dough and use a knife to press the jelly into the dough and swirl it around.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden on the edges. Cut into bars immediately. Let cool completely.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and heavy cream and drizzle over cooled bars.