These grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwiches take a standard PB&J sandwich to the next level! The warm melty peanut butter is so good!
Yes, I AM mildly embarrassed that I’m putting this ‘recipe’ up on the internet, but I promise it’s not because I think you couldn’t figure this out on your own!
It’s just because, if you’re anything like me, you never really thought about grilling the standard PB&J and I really need to make sure the world knows that this is an option. A good option. The best option, even.
The standard peanut butter and jelly sandwich is always a fine option for a quick lunch, but oh gosh. When you grill it, it’s suddenly something magical and I can almost guarantee people are going to ask for a second sandwich.
The peanut butter gets so melty and the jelly gets warm and it basically turns into dessert for lunch. These are a must make!
Sandwich Bread – Nothing special here, just your average loaf of sandwich bread. Use whatever brand you normally would for making PB&J sandwiches!
Peanut Butter – We love smooth peanut butter but you can use the chunky variety if that’s what you prefer!
Jelly – Use whatever kind of jelly or jam you like! I’m a raspberry jam girl myself.
Butter – Salted butter adds a nice pop of flavor and crunch to the bread.
What We Love About This Recipe:
- Make a PB&J sandwich just how you like it, slather on some butter, and grill it up! It’s so simple.
- This makes a great lunch, but something about the warm and melty interior gives it dessert vibes too!
How To Make Grilled Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches:
PB&J: This is pretty much the easiest recipe ever! You’ll start by making your normal PB&J sandwich just the way you like it. Once you’ve got it ready, you’ll slather some butter on the outsides of the sandwich!
Grill: If you’ve ever made a grilled cheese sandwich, then you know exactly what to do! Heat a griddle or a skillet and start grilling.
It’ll take about 4 to 6 minutes, flipping once, until they’ve turned a nice golden brown color and the peanut butter and jelly are melty!
Let your grilled sandwich rest for a few minutes before cutting. That melty peanut butter needs a second to firm up just a bit.
And be sure to have napkins and a glass of cold milk handy!
You don’t have to stick to the usual PB&J! There all kinds of great ways to make grilled sandwiches with peanut butter, jelly, and other ingredients. Here are a few suggestions:
- Grilled Peanut Butter and Banana
- Grilled Peanut Butter and Nutella
- Grilled Peanut Butter and Marshmallow Fluff (AKA – Fluffernutter)
- Grilled Peanut Butter and Honey
- Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly with Bacon (Don’t judge me)
- Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly with Cinnamon
Feel free to use a different type of nut butter too like almond butter or sunflower butter!
I wouldn’t even try! These are made to be eaten fresh and hot. You could store them in the fridge like a regular PB&J sandwich, but that would be sad.
We prefer the smooth creamy kind of peanut butter but you can definitely use either kind. Make your PB&J just the way you normally would, and then grill it!
MORE PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY RECIPES!
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Shortbread Bars
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Pinwheels
- Air Fryer Uncrustables
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookie Bars
Grilled Peanut Butter and Jelly
- 2 slices sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter any variety
- 1 tablespoon jelly any variety
- 1 tablespoon softened butter
- Spread the peanut butter on one slice of bread. Top with the jelly.
- Close the bread to make a sandwich. Spread the outside of the sandwich with the butter.
- Spread the outside of the sandwich with the butter.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick spray. Once hot, add the sandwich to the skillet cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Let sandwich set for 2-3 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes:
This recipe was originally shared in 2011. Original photo below.
Leave a Review