Liege Waffles with Nutella and Strawberries

Can we just take a moment here to discuss my newest obsession?

Liege waffles. OMG.

Loaded with chunks of sugar, these liege waffles are SO not your typical breakfast waffle!  Topped with Nutella and strawberries!

Wait! Don’t roll your eyes and click away. Liege waffles are NOT like the traditional breakfast waffle that you grew up eating!

Liege waffles are made with a yeast dough (don’t freak out, this is totally easy!) and I personally think they make a better dessert than breakfast.

What makes these waffles so special is the little chunks of Belgian sugar in the dough. You fold it in right before cooking the waffles and the chunks of sugar caramelize and create these little pockets of sugary heaven that will honest to God make you weak in the knees.

I would have a really hard time deciding on my favorite way to eat these. Plain, straight from the waffle iron ranks right up there near the top though. Topped with Nutella and strawberry is certainly delicious too.

I first saw liege waffles over on Oh, Sweet Basil and she topped hers with cookie butter and raspberries. Brilliant, I say. Her recipe is a Waffle Love copycat. I’ve never had a Waffle Love waffle before, so I searched high and low for the perfect authentic liege waffle.  I’m super happy with this recipe, but do plan to try Carrian’s Waffle Love copycat at some point!

You can buy the Belgian pearl sugar right from Amazon. I know you don’t want to buy special sugar just for a waffle, but please trust me on this: Worth it.

And, if you’re in the market for an excellent waffle iron, I could not be more happy with mine. It works perfectly for any kind of waffle you’d like to make!

PrintPrint Recipe

Liege Waffles with Nutella and Strawberries

Yield: 8 waffles

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes (includes rise time)

2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1/3 cup warm water (about 110F)
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
3 eggs
1 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup pearl sugar
Nutella and sliced strawberries, for topping

Add the yeast, warm water, and sugar to a small bowl and let sit for 10 minutes or until yeast is foamy.
Add the flour, salt, and cinnamon to the bowl of a stand mixer. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour the yeast into the well.
Turn mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, to low and begin mixing. Crack in the eggs one at a time, making sure each is incorporated before adding the next.
With the mixer on low, slowly stir in the melted butter. Increase speed to medium and beat for 1 minute or until everything is well combined. Batter will be thicker than a normal waffle batter, but much wetter than a traditional yeast dough.
Place the mixing bowl in a warm spot and cover. Let rise 45 minutes or until doubled. Gently fold in the sugar pearls and let rest for 15 more minutes.
Heat your waffle iron (mine only has one heat setting, if yours has more than one setting start at a medium heat and experiment) and spoon about 1/4 cup of batter into the center of your waffle iron. Close and cook for about 3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Use a fork to remove the waffles from the iron. Be careful of the melted sugar as it's very hot and will burn you if you touch it.
Top waffles with Nutella and strawberries or just eat them as is.

waffle recipe from Squidoo

More waffle recipes:

light and crispy waffle recipe

The BEST breakfast waffles, ever.

Chocolate Waffles with Peanut Butter Sauce #recipe from | Celebrate summer break with this fun breakfast!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Waffles, because duh.

cake mix waffle recipe

And, my favorite way to celebrate a birthday! Funfetti Waffles!

This post contains affiliate links.

40 Responses to “Liege Waffles with Nutella and Strawberries”

1. Belinda@themoonblushbaker April 3, 2014 @ 5:18 am (#

My favorite topping has to be peanut butter and peanut Britte crumble. These look perfect thanks to your photography and cooking skill; got to try this week.

2. Chloe @ foodlikecake April 3, 2014 @ 5:52 am (#

Those look amazing! I love waffles but somehow I’ve lived my life never having THESE :-) Must make these soon!

3. Megan {Country Cleaver} April 3, 2014 @ 7:43 am (#

I feel like me and these waffles would totally be BFF’s.

4. simple green moms April 3, 2014 @ 7:55 am (#

these sounds super delicious on this rainy morning! heck… they sound super delicious on ANY morning! yum!

5. Stephanie @ Plain Chicken April 3, 2014 @ 8:03 am (#

OMG! I LOVE Liege Waffles. I make a bee straight to the waffle truck when I go to NYC. Can’t wait to try these!

• Karly replied: — April 4th, 2014 @ 9:12 am

@Stephanie @ Plain Chicken,

I really want to try one off a food truck. Just sounds so fun! No food trucks in Nebraska, though. 😉

6. Jamie | Jamie's Recipes April 3, 2014 @ 9:03 am (#

We have been waffle crazy this year since I got a pretty sweet waffle maker for Christmas. I will have to order some of that sugar so we can have an authentic waffle experience.

7. Melanie @ Carmel Moments April 3, 2014 @ 9:34 am (#

Definitely not rolling my eyes at this one. I love working with yeast and these look down right awesome! Pinning for sure!

8. marcie April 3, 2014 @ 9:56 am (#

A yeast waffle? I’m definitely trying that, and I will buy the special sugar. Something tells me I’ll be using it all quickly cuz I’ll be hooked on these waffles. Pinning to try and thanks for sharing, Karly! :)

• Karly replied: — April 4th, 2014 @ 9:11 am

As soon as we had our first batch eaten, I ordered 3 more boxes of the sugar. 😉 It’s dangerous.

9. Kathi @ Deliciously Yum! April 3, 2014 @ 11:17 am (#

I have never heard of liege waffles and I cannot wait to try these now. To say that I am intrigued would be an understatement!! We love breakfast for dinner over here, so this will be happening ASAP!

10. Katrina @ WVS April 3, 2014 @ 11:52 am (#

We often make yeasted waffles at home! We prefer them to regular waffles, but I LOVE these liege mini waffles with tons of chocolate – they look KILLER!

11. Els April 3, 2014 @ 2:39 pm (#

I am from Belgium and it’s great to read about “our” waffles. In Belgium Liege waffles are typically sold in railwaystations. Their smell is so divine, that you have to buy one, when you walk past a such a shop.
    We don’t eat waffles as breakfast though, more like a snack.
    When making these waffels you should use real Belgium pearl sugar made by Tiense suiker.
    Not sure if you can buy it in the US. If not, then it’s a shame really.

• Debby Labye replied: — April 18th, 2015 @ 2:08 am

You can buy pearl sugar here now. The “Tiense suiker” is sold on Amazon. Look for Belgian pearl sugar there. I buy mine 5 pounds at a time.

12. Joanne April 3, 2014 @ 10:10 pm (#

I’ve gone far too long without liege waffles in my life, don’t you think? Good think I bought a TON of strawberries this week. Because, health.

13. Liz April 3, 2014 @ 11:27 pm (#

Just wondering…. What do the waffles taste like without the pearl sugar ?

• Karly replied: — April 4th, 2014 @ 9:09 am

Honestly? Not as good. They’ll taste more like bready waffles. They’d probably be good with syrup on them, but it’s truly the little nuggets of sugar in there that make these. I personally wouldn’t make them without it. :)

14. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. April 3, 2014 @ 11:53 pm (#

These look INCREDIBLE!

15. Jennie @themessybakerblog April 4, 2014 @ 7:23 am (#

I ain’t scurrred. Pass the yeast, because I need these waffles in my life. Yum!

16. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen April 4, 2014 @ 8:37 am (#

I cannot even deal. I’ve never had liege waffles and now my life feels like a lie.

17. Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet April 4, 2014 @ 10:06 am (#

OMG is right! These look incredible! I’ve heard about liege waffles but never made them! It’s time to fix it. :) Pinned!

18. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) April 5, 2014 @ 6:01 pm (#

I literally just had a liege waffle and THEY ARE THE BESTEST THINGS EVERRRRR! Yours looks absolurely, perfectly, insanely perfect!

19. Zainab @ Blahnik Baker April 6, 2014 @ 12:13 pm (#

Oh my gosh!! I had to take a few hours to digest the awesomeness that are these waffles. I tried them this morning and my goodness!! The hubs is still racing about them and he is at work lol! They are amazing!! Thanks for a great recipe :)

20. Lauren April 8, 2014 @ 7:47 am (#

I’ve been meaning to make liege waffles for the longest time! I even ordered pearl sugar from amazon months ago. SNAP. This is happening.

21. Pinson April 9, 2014 @ 5:11 am (#

I love Liège waffles but in Belgium, we eat them plain. It’s great as it is. The toppings are for the tourists 😉

• Karly replied: — April 9th, 2014 @ 8:00 am

Oh, so now I have even more of a reason to just enjoy them plain! They really are good all on their own.

22. Anonym April 11, 2014 @ 12:19 am (#

The keypad has a cool blue backlight and is quite confortable to type on.
    And never miss a sound with noise reducing Crystal Talk Technology.
    The camera is also equipped with geo-tagging which, thanks to GPS will tag the location at which a
    photo was taken which can in turn be viewed on a map.

23. Jocelyn May 4, 2014 @ 2:57 pm (#

So, I not only purchased the pearl sugar for this recipe, but your favorite Belgian waffle maker as well. It was totally worth it! These waffles are superb! My only reservation about making them again is that my waffle iron ended up being a sticky mess and a royal pain to clean up. Do you have any suggestions abut how to best clean a waffle iron? Thanks!

• Karly replied: — May 6th, 2014 @ 11:16 am

So glad you liked these! You’re totally right…clean up is not fun. So, I just wiped the iron out as best as I could and then I held it open over the sink and used the sprayer to spray the plates good and wiped again. When I make regular waffles, I just wipe it out with a damp cloth, but the pearl sugar does leave more of a mess. :)

• Jocelyn replied: — May 7th, 2014 @ 12:24 am

Thanks for the tips, Karly. I will need them the next time I make these scrumptious waffles, which my family is already demanding!

24. Laura October 8, 2014 @ 9:55 am (#

Love Liege waffles. After you’ve had them in Belgium, you’ll be spoiled forever. You can also use *gently* broken up sugar cubes in place of the pearl sugar. It’s not as wonderful as the pearl sugar, but they’re still pretty dang good.

25. Debby Labye April 18, 2015 @ 2:04 am (#

I am an American married to a Belgian for 44 years. My American mother used to say that if everyone knew how dear Belgian husbands are that everyone would want one.

I lived in Belgium for nearly 14 years. We are now retired and living in southern California where my husband declares that good weather is a reward for coming from a country where it snows and rains a lot.

I’ve eaten Liege waffles for years from little stands in Belgium to the ones I make here. I even have one waffle maker that is used for nothing but Liege waffles. It took me YEARS to find a supplier of pearl sugar (and not the teeny kind used in Scandinavian baking). At last they are selling it on Amazon. The pearl sugar is what makes Liege waffles so great. After you make them in your waffle iron you must not take the sugary puddles off of the iron. After you have made several batches, whether in the same day or over time, the outer tips of your waffles will come out with dark sugary coatings which are a Nirvananic experience in and of themselves. When I make these waffles, I share them with neighbors who absolutely love them and look forward to the next time I make them.