Raspberry Gratin

Let’s pretend for a second that you have a house full of fancy people over and you realize that you totally forgot to prepare a fancy dessert. Panic! Death! Destruction!

You have three options:

1. Whip up a box of brownie mix. Tasty and fairly quick, but maybe not the best option for fancy people.

2. Nutella, straight from the jar. Obviously you’ll give everyone their own spoon instead of making them share. This is a fancy evening, after all.

3. Raspberry Gratin. It takes about five minutes, it looks and tastes fabulous, it sounds like it was difficult to make, and BONUS POINT: Gratin is French and fancy people like French stuff.

Which do you choose?

Option 3, hands down. With a spoonful of Nutella just for you while you wait the 5 minutes it takes for these caramelize.

Seriously, this “fancy” dessert is so quick to go from kitchen to table, looks fabulous, uses just 3 ingredients, and is actually very low in calories! Fruit, light sour cream, and a sprinkling of brown sugar? Yes. Please.

I always use light sour cream for everything, because honestly, I can’t tell the difference. (I use Daisy brand. Give it a shot if you haven’t already…the light is just as good as the full fat!)

And, since these are so low in calories, I ate both of the ones pictured. Isn’t that, like, a law? If you’re eating something low in calories you should eat a double portion? No? Huh.

Raspberry Gratin

Raspberry Gratin

Ingredients

• 2 pints fresh raspberries
  • 4-8 tablespoons regular or light sour cream
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar

Instructions

1. Place raspberries in 4 small ramekins and top with enough sour cream to cover the berries. Sprinkle on the brown sugar, being sure to break any clumps.
  2. Place under the broiler for about 5 minutes or until the sugar melts and begins to caramelize. Keep a close eye on these as the sugar goes from caramelized to burnt very quickly.
  3. Serve immediately.

13 Responses to “Raspberry Gratin”

1. Tanya September 11, 2011 @ 8:30 pm (#

I so want to make these. I could eat raspberry anything. Too bad the rest of my house won’t!

2. Barbara September 12, 2011 @ 4:21 am (#

I’d chose this too! So simple, so quick and I bet it tastes marvelous. I usually have raspberries in the fridge too.

3. Jennifer September 12, 2011 @ 6:30 am (#

I had been trying to convince myself that no, the kitchen is not incomplete if you do not have ramekins… but alas, here is one more reason (i.e. fancy French people in my house) why I need those little guys! I can’t believe how simple this is. I will try out that light sour cream…And do you think this would work with a myriad of fruits — blueberry, strawberry, maybe peach?!

4. Medifast Coupons September 12, 2011 @ 9:01 am (#

Wow, that is it?! Can’t wait to try, do you think you could use any berry? I am even thinking peaches would be nice??
    Thanks for sharing.

5. Joanne September 12, 2011 @ 11:09 am (#

I might even have to swirl nutella INTO the sour cream. that definitely sounds like a fancy idea…nutella IS Italian after all.

6. Julie September 13, 2011 @ 1:53 pm (#

Now if only I knew some fancy people! Maybe it could work for regular people too :)

7. katescakesandbakes September 14, 2011 @ 2:02 am (#

I’ve been away (doing fun stuff) and just curling up to read through my favourite blogs- thank you so much for putting a big smile on my face (after all, it is rubbish returning from holiday) with your lovely, lovely posts!

8. Theresa Sea September 14, 2011 @ 12:03 pm (#

YUM! Would you be able to substitute greek yogurt for the sour cream? I’ve heard that it’s a pretty easy substitution for other recipes, and I LOVE yogurt. :) Plus, that would make these breakfast, right? ;)

9. Rebeka M September 15, 2011 @ 3:26 pm (#

I have made this with diced strawberries a few times, and fresh blackberries once. I lovelovelove this!! I guess it’s a midwest thing to dip berries in sourcream then brown sugar – but It’s just amazing.

I like the other suggestions about substituting greek yogurt… I bet it would be extra tangy!

10. Jen October 5, 2011 @ 9:39 pm (#

Raspberries, food of the gods. This sounds amazing! Can’t wait to make.

11. Denise @ TLT October 7, 2011 @ 1:37 am (#

Gorgeous! Need to try this asap. Can’t believe I just found your website, it looks beautiful!

12. Jess October 11, 2011 @ 12:14 pm (#

This is like James Holler’s stawberry, brown sugar, and sour cream dessert but a different take. I love brown sugar and sour cream together, this sounds delicious together! Can’t wait to try it.

13. katie March 30, 2013 @ 8:44 am (#

yum… i love anything gratin! But I adore raspberries!!!