Let’s pretend for a second that you have a house full of fancy people over and you realize that you totally forgot to prepare a fancy dessert. Panic! Death! Destruction!
You have three options:
1. Whip up a box of brownie mix. Tasty and fairly quick, but maybe not the best option for fancy people.
2. Nutella, straight from the jar. Obviously you’ll give everyone their own spoon instead of making them share. This is a fancy evening, after all.
3. Raspberry Gratin. It takes about five minutes, it looks and tastes fabulous, it sounds like it was difficult to make, and BONUS POINT: Gratin is French and fancy people like French stuff.
Which do you choose?
Option 3, hands down. With a spoonful of Nutella just for you while you wait the 5 minutes it takes for these caramelize.
Seriously, this “fancy” dessert is so quick to go from kitchen to table, looks fabulous, uses just 3 ingredients, and is actually very low in calories! Fruit, light sour cream, and a sprinkling of brown sugar? Yes. Please.
I always use light sour cream for everything, because honestly, I can’t tell the difference. (I use Daisy brand. Give it a shot if you haven’t already…the light is just as good as the full fat!)
And, since these are so low in calories, I ate both of the ones pictured. Isn’t that, like, a law? If you’re eating something low in calories you should eat a double portion? No? Huh.
- 2 pints fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- Place raspberries in 4 small ramekins and top with enough sour cream to cover the berries. Sprinkle on the brown sugar, being sure to break any clumps.
- Place under the broiler for about 5 minutes or until the sugar melts and begins to caramelize. Keep a close eye on these as the sugar goes from caramelized to burnt very quickly.
- Serve immediately.