I’m a little bit obsessed with this time of year. Autumn is magical, you guys.
The leaves, the smells, the crisp air. Let’s not forget the Halloween candy. I know it’s supposed to be for the kids, but it’s free candy! Of course I sneak a little from their buckets.
Oh, aaaaaaand the casseroles and skillets and cheesy dinners and comfort food. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be dying to grill out again in a couple of months, but for now, I’m reveling in homey comfort food.
As I mentioned once before, the husband and I are in the midst of a diet competition. If he wins, he gets a trip to Vegas with his brothers. If I win, I get a trip to Scotland with my mama. I’m planning on kicking his trash, obviously.
This means that my comfort food has had to be dialed back a teensy bit. I mean, I’m not giving up the good stuff, of course, but I am working on lightening things up. We can’t eat these dinners every night, but when we do I want to enjoy it while not feeling too terribly guilty.
Today I’m using No Yolks egg noodles to help accomplish that. They’re cholesterol free and low in fat and calories compared to other egg noodles.
I also used a smoked chicken sausage instead of a traditional pork sausage to save a few calories and fat! Load this egg noodle dish up with plenty of sun-dried tomatoes, onions, garlic, and a bit of Swiss cheese and it’s a new family favorite!
Of course, I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t add a bit of heavy cream to a dish. This time around I lightened it up by swapping in half and half. You could totally use milk instead, but I really like the creaminess of the half and half and this is comfort food, after all. See? Not diet food, but not as bad as it could be. I’m making progress!
Did I mention that you can get this on the table in around 30 minutes? And that you’ll only need one skillet for the whole thang? Yep. True story!
Sitting around the dinner table each evening is my favorite part of the day. My husband works long hours and dinner time is the chance we all have to be together and catch up. The kids chat about what horrible things I’m making them do in school (We just dissected a frog! Not fun for any of us!), my husband tells us all the gossip from work, and I enjoy the heck out of my people. Family dinner time is the best.
Sun-Dried Tomato and Chicken Sausage Pasta Skillet
- 3 smoked chicken sausage links 9 ounces sausage total, sliced into coins
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3.5 ounces julienned sun-dried tomatoes dry packed - not in oil
- 8 ounces No Yolks Noodles
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat a large, deep skillet over medium heat with the olive oil.
- Add the sausage and onion to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, egg noodles, chicken broth, and half and half to the pan. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to medium low, stir, and cover the pot. Continue cooking for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the cheese and parsley, and stir. Cover the pot and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Check out No Yolks and try one of these 12 family-favorite, comforting No Yolks Noodle recipes:
Chicken Noodle Soup
Tuna Noodle Casserole
Asian Noodle Recipe
You can also get a coupon for $1 off 2 bags of No Yolks noodles here.
And now it’s time for a giveaway! One lucky reader will win a $100 Visa gift card! To enter for a chance to win a $100 Visa gift card, leave a comment below letting me know your favorite No Yolks comfort food.
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#onlynoyolks” and “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 72 hours to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 11/3/14 – 11/30/14.
Be sure to visit the No Yolks brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!
Leave a Review