This blog generally does good things for me. It makes me smile. It makes me happy. It makes me hungry. (It’s diet season. Is being hungry actually a good thing?)
One problem? It makes my parents worry. They worry that I have an unhealthy love of bacon. I don’t know why they would think that. I mean, it’s not like I have an entire category devoted to bacon or anything. (Oh, wait…maybe I do.)
My mom teases me every time I say the word bacon. “You put bacon in everything!” Yes, Mom, I do. So what?
And you know what? My parents are great big ol’ enablers. They act like my bacon obsession is weird and strange and unhealthy, but y’all, this past Christmas morning found me digging through a Christmas stocking full of bacon flavored objects. Bacon flavored floss. Bacon flavored lip gloss. Bacon flavored mints. And, of course, bacon flavored toothpicks.
I decided to pay them back for that by taking my love of bacon a step further than usual. I made bacon chocolate chip cookies and took them to their house for an after dinner treat. Unfortunately my mom couldn’t eat any, because she’s going gluten free, but I was able to talk my dad into having one. His verdict was the same as mine. There was something slightly different, but you’d never guess it was bacon hiding in those cookies.
All in all, these cookies were fun to make and try, but probably not something I’ll make again. I love bacon, but I want to really be able to taste it. I want the bacon to shine. I want it to be the star. I want to put a ring on the bacon’s finger and ask it to marry me.
I’m sorry. What was I saying?
Oh. Right. These cookies were okay, but they mostly just tasted like chocolate chip cookies. They were fun to test out on unsuspecting people though, so go ahead and make some for the bacon obsessed person in your life. They’ll appreciate the gesture.
Chocolate Chip and Bacon Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened (you could also replace some butter with an equal amount of bacon grease)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
- 5 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Mix in the egg and vanilla. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet. Stir in the chocolate and bacon. Scoop dough onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes.
Recipe from Closet Cooking