This apple galette is a bit simpler than a traditional pie and it makes for such a pretty presentation!
I popped in to the kitchen this afternoon to put a frozen pizza in the oven. I clearly lead a glamorous life.
While I was waiting for the oven to preheat I noticed the big bag of nice green apples on my kitchen counter and I just couldn’t resist whipping up this amazing Apple Galette.
If I’m going to cook frozen pizza for lunch, then darn it, I’m makin’ a fancy dessert. Because I am sophisticated and refined and classy. Also, I like apple pie.
This “pie” is really a galette, but only because I discovered that I only had one pie crust in the fridge. I wasn’t in the mood to make my own, so I just went with the flow and used what I had on hand.
I peeled the apples (mostly…I’m a notoriously bad peeler) and sliced them very thin. I grabbed a large bowl and tossed them in some brown sugar, cinnamon, a bit of flour, and a dash of salt. I would have squeezed on some lemon juice if I’d had any on hand, but I didn’t.
About the time I had those apples covered in the cinnamon mixture I started snacking. And snacking. And snacking some more. This always happen when I make apple desserts.
I should just learn to peel and slice an extra apple for me to eat. I just can’t help myself. I’m a mad woman. An apple slice stealing mad woman.
There are worse things one could be.
Of course, an apple galette is delicious on it’s own, but I drowned mine in caramel sauce. It seemed like the right thing to do. I sprinkled on some pecans, too. Pecans and caramel…yum.
I had this whipped up and ready to pop in the oven in the time it took my frozen pizza to bake. I think you’d better go make this right now. I’m pretty sure you’ll never forgive yourself if you don’t.
Apple Galette with Caramel Sauce
- 4 cups peeled and thinly sliced tart apples
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pie crust store bought or homemade
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts optional
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 25 caramel candies
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Toss the apples in the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and lemon juice.
- Lay out the pie crust on a large baking sheet.
- Pile the apple slices in the center, leaving a inch border around the edge.
- Fold the crust up over the side of apples, folding it over on itself every inch or so.
- Dot the apples with small pieces of butter.
- Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 35 minutes or until the apples are tender and the crust is done.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Heat candies and milk over low heat in a heavy sauce pan, stirring occasionaly.
- When the caramels are completely melted pour over the warm galette and sprinkle with nuts.
- Serve immediately.