Spicy Chicken BLT Bagels
This grilled chicken sandwich recipe is packed with flavor from the sriracha and bacon. The buttermilk helps keeps the chicken extra juicy! Big thanks to Thomas’ Breads for sponsoring this post.
It’s summer, yo.
Grab your tongs and head out back to the grill, because it’s time to cook the meats. All the meats. Forever and ever, amen.
What? I like summer and I like my food cooked over a fire, especially if my husband ends up coming out to do the cooking because “he’s the man around here.” <— That never actually happens. He’s perfectly content to let me do the grilling. Darn it.
This time around I thought we could spice things up with some of my buttermilk grilled chicken and a hit of spicy mayo. Because who doesn’t love spicy mayo? Please don’t tell me if you’re not a mayo lover, because then we couldn’t be friends anymore. Mayo is my life.
I don’t know about you guys, but I’ve been all up in the fresh tomatoes lately. They’re juicy and they’re ripe and they are basically begging for a couple of slices of crispy bacon. I went ahead and married all that with the chicken and a warm and toasty mini bagel.
Yeah, that’s right. Bagel sliders. They’re a thing now.
You’ll want to use Thomas’ mini bagels for these. I like the Plain variety, but they also sell 100% whole wheat if you’re into that. The best part about these mini bagels is that you’ll probably have a few left over, so one bag gets you dinner and breakfast and that’s a win. Smear ’em with extra cream cheese or get all wild and crazy and take the toppings from this English muffin recipe and put it on your morning bagel!
Spicy Chicken BLT Bagels
For the chicken:
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- For the spicy mayo:
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
For the sandwiches:
- 6 plain mini bagels
- 6 pieces fried bacon, cut in half
- 6 slices tomato
- 6 pieces of lettuce
- Pour the buttermilk and sriracha into a shallow bowl and stir to combine. Add the chicken and season with the black pepper. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the grill over medium heat. Grill the chicken for 4 minutes per side or until cooked through. Slice the chicken diagonally into thin pieces.
- Place the bagels, split side down, onto the hot grill and grill for 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Stir together the mayonnaise and sriracha to make the spicy mayonnaise.
- Spread the spicy mayo on half of the toasted bagels. Top with the sliced chicken, bacon, tomato, and lettuce. Top with the remaining bagel pieces.