Taco Sliders

taco slider recipe

So, I know that everyone thinks their own children are the best at everything, the cutest, the funniest, and just all around little angels.

You guys. I’m here to tell you that, without a doubt, my daughter wins at all those things. Except for being an angel. She’s a little ornery and a lot sassy and completely inappropriate at times.

I love her so much it hurts.

web2

The other day we were out shopping with her big brother (he’s 13 and she’s 8) when they somehow got talking about white lies. Elijah, my son, said that he always prefers the truth, no matter what.

“Oh, yeah,” Emma asked. “Well, then. What do you think about Mom? Is she pretty or is she disgusting?”

Seriously? She couldn’t have tested his dedication to the truth with something else? She had to just go straight for the jugular like that? Or maybe she could have  just said “not pretty?” I would have even taken ugly. But disgusting? That’s just mean.

unique cheeseburger recipe

For the record, my son said I was pretty. And, since he had just said that he values the truth, I’m going to choose to believe him. Also, he is the sweetest, most thoughtful 13 year old you’ll ever meet.

My daughter, on the other hand, said that I’m not disgusting, but she wouldn’t call me pretty either. Sigh.

It’s a good thing I enjoy her sassy and snarky little attitude or I would have just left her at the mall. I mean, really. Pretty or disgusting.

Anyway, she was probably paying me back for all the Mexican food I serve around here. I’m addicted to it. I think I lived inside a taco truck in Mexico in a previous life. It’s the only explanation!

mexican cheeseburger recipe

I decided to take it easy on my family and mix one of their favorites (a burger!) with one of my favorites (a taco!) and that’s how these little Taco Sliders were born. They are absolute perfection.

The hamburger patty gets mixed up with taco seasoning and topped with all of your favorites. I topped my sliders with a slice of cheddar cheese, a fresh tomato, guacamole, my favorite Southwestern Slaw (it gets used in place of lettuce on EVERYTHING Mexican related in my house – the whole family prefers it to boring ol’ iceberg! It’s especially good on Carnitas), and a smear of sour cream. You could add in some olives, salsa, onions, whatever else it is you may top your tacos with.

Now that I think about it, I really wish I would have given these a good dash of Cholula hot sauce. It’s my favorite sauce for Mexican food and, sometimes, I make tacos just so I have an excuse to drown it in my favorite sauce. (This is not sponsored…I just love Cholula!)

hamburger recipe

PrintPrintSaveSave

Taco Sliders

Yield: 6 sliders

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:

6 slider buns
3 tablespoons butter
1 pound ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning (or homemade)
6 slices cheddar cheese
6 tomato slices
guacamole
Southwest Cabbage Slaw
sour cream
other taco toppings, as desired

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine the ground beef and taco seasoning. Mix together to spread the seasoning throughout the beef. Roll the beef into 6 small balls and flatten into patties.
Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the patties and cook to your desired doneness, flipping once halfway through cooking. Top each patty with a slice of cheese about 2 minutes before removing from the heat. Set burgers aside.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Place the slider buns cut side down in the melted butter and toast the buns, about 1-2 minutes each. Remove from the heat.
Build your burger using your prefered taco toppings.

20 Responses to “Taco Sliders”

1. Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche October 27, 2013 @ 3:27 pm (#

Hahaha! Omg your kids are hilarious! Think your daughter should cook YOU dinner to make up for being cheeky! ;) For the record, I would definitely call you pretty! :)

These are a great idea!! I’ll never pass up an opportunity to add guacamole to anything…!

2. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie October 27, 2013 @ 3:57 pm (#

Loving these sliders. I don’t make burgers with a mexican flair enough.

3. Jocelyn@ BruCrew Life October 27, 2013 @ 4:02 pm (#

Oh my goodness! Your little girlie is full of spunk…I love it!!! And I happen to love all the Mexican food you crank out…so keep it up!

4. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen October 27, 2013 @ 4:10 pm (#

Got to love those 8 year olds. Mine is pretty ornery too. Wish I was having these sliders for supper tonight. Must make them really soon.

5. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl October 27, 2013 @ 4:52 pm (#

Cute story, made me smile. Also made me smile to imagine you running a taco truck because I would visit you every single day!

6. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet October 27, 2013 @ 8:31 pm (#

As always pictures and food looks stunning!!

7. Joanne October 27, 2013 @ 8:55 pm (#

Oh kids. you gotta love em. Some of the time, at least. :)

8. Tieghan October 27, 2013 @ 9:23 pm (#

Oh man, girls are rough! We can be pretty mean sometimes!
    LOVE the sliders! Such a genius creation!

9. tanya October 28, 2013 @ 6:46 am (#

Can I come live you with you? I LOVE Mexican food (like these killer sliders!) and never tire of it! For the record, I would’ve said you were pretty too!

10. Cookbook Queen October 28, 2013 @ 8:19 am (#

I LOVE these little sliders — you can come over here and make Mexican food EVERY DAY!! We won’t complain :)

And I love your child. Is that weird? My soul understands her!!

11. Angie | Big Bear's Wife October 28, 2013 @ 9:15 am (#

Oh my haha your kids crack me up! lol
    Love the taco sliders too!

12. Stephanie @ Plain Chicken October 28, 2013 @ 9:20 am (#

I’ll take 3 please! These look awesome! Can’t wait to try them.

13. Melanie @ Carmel Moments October 28, 2013 @ 9:55 am (#

Yowza! They look fabulous! I am looking forward to trying these for quick meal.

14. Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama October 28, 2013 @ 12:40 pm (#

You are speaking my language with these sliders!

Also, I am slightly scared of what my daughter will be like when she is 8 (she is only 2) …. I foresee some sass and a ton of snark.

15. Willow @ Will Cook For Friends October 28, 2013 @ 1:55 pm (#

Oh my gosh, haha! Your kids are hilarious. I don’t have kids of my own, but I used to be a nanny for many years and am all too familiar with some of the all-too-honest stuff kids say. At least your son answered “pretty”, right? :P

As for these sliders, you’re kind of my hero for making them. Talk about food fusion! Also, Cholula is my favorite hot sauce as well. I love to make a quick breakfast wrap with it in the mornings – yum!

16. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious October 29, 2013 @ 12:00 am (#

Your son is adorable! And these sliders are amazing. I love how packed they are!

Karly Reply:

@Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious,

Thank you!

17. A Life From Scratch October 29, 2013 @ 1:46 pm (#

I’m laughing at that story!!!! and YUM – does anything ever not look drool worth on your site?! ;)

18. Kayleigh October 29, 2013 @ 2:43 pm (#

I just found what I want for dinner. My fiance complains about having tacos so much and says “Can’t we just make a burger instead?”

19. Angie October 30, 2013 @ 8:38 am (#

What a great idea for sliders!