Chocolate Covered Peeps Hearts

Chocolate Covered Peeps Hearts recipe

Chocolate Covered Peeps Hearts recipe
Oh, hi.

Have we met?

No? Let me introduce myself. My name is Karly. I write about food, mostly because it gives me an excuse to make a lot of food and then eat it. I am the least crafty person in the world.

Chocolate Covered Peeps Hearts recipe

I can not decorate a cake to save my life.

I will destroy your coloring book by coloring outside the lines or mixing markers and crayons in a horrible non-pretty way.

One time I tried to sew a dress for my daughter and no joke, my entire living room was covered in small pieces of fabric and sewing patterns. The dress didn’t happen.

Chocolate Covered Peeps Hearts recipe

I made cake pops once and every single one of them fell off the stick.

I don’t do crafts and I certainly don’t do crafty food.

Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let me show you what I did!

Chocolate Covered Peeps Hearts recipe

I made crafty food! I stuck a peeps heart on a stick, dipped it in chocolate, covered it in sprinkles, and created my daughter’s favorite new treat.

I’m feeling like a winner, you guys. Maybe I’ll go buy a pottery wheel and start making my own food props or something next. The world is my oyster.

Chocolate Covered Peeps Hearts recipeChocolate Covered Peeps Hearts recipe

Chocolate Covered Peeps Hearts recipe

Chocolate Covered Peeps Hearts recipePrint Recipe

Chocolate Covered Peeps Hearts

These easy Valentine's Day treats are perfect for class parties or Valentine's Day cards! They're so quick and easy to make, too.

Ingredients:

1 package Peeps Strawberry Hearts (9 hearts total)
8 ounces chocolate candy coating
2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
9 4-inch lollipop sticks
sprinkles

Directions:

Melt the candy coating in a tall glass that is just wide enough for the hearts to fit in. Stir in the vegetable shortening to thin out the candy coating.
Dip one stick into the chocolate, about 1/4 inch deep. Push the chocolate end of the stick into the point of the heart peep.
Dip the heart into the chocolate coating to coat. Shake off the excess. Add sprinkles as desired and lay flat on a sheet of waxed paper to dry.

Stop by and enter to win a $50 Visa gift card!

linked to Taste and Tell Thursday

24 Responses to “Chocolate Covered Peeps Hearts”

1. Aimee @ ShugarySweets January 31, 2013 @ 6:15 am (#

haha you crack me up!! She is so pretty and looks darn happy with her peep heart! I happen to LOVE peeps (especially after they go stale), so I’m sure this will be happening!

2. shelly (cookies and cups) January 31, 2013 @ 7:45 am (#

Yes, you must go get a pottery wheel and then document the process. I would totally pin that ;)
    also, these are awesome.

3. megan @ whatmegansmaking January 31, 2013 @ 8:26 am (#

cute and easy – perfect combination :)

4. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life January 31, 2013 @ 9:30 am (#

Those are the cutest…very crafty worthy!!! Making your own pottery? Hhhhmmm I want pics of that too!!

5. Becca from It's Yummilicious January 31, 2013 @ 9:57 am (#

Hi, I’m Becca. Have we met? I believe so. It was in the womb. Hello my long lost twin separated at birth and born 10 years apart!

By the way, please tell Em that her adorable toothless grin just sent my heart straight to those fluffy clouds of happiness in the sky!

• Karly replied: — January 31st, 2013 @ 7:00 pm

I told her and she giggled and blushed. :)

Thanks, Becca!

6. Kristen January 31, 2013 @ 10:05 am (#

Oh girl – I want some of these right now! So tasty!

7. Kim @ Soliloquy Of Food & Such January 31, 2013 @ 10:16 am (#

What’s better than a marshmallow peep?
    A chocolate covered one!

8. Joanne January 31, 2013 @ 11:10 am (#

I always forget that peeps exist for holidays other than Easter…it just seems so weird to me! But these hearts on a stick are super adorable. Like, majorly so.

9. Alaine January 31, 2013 @ 1:27 pm (#

Let me just tell you, you have the cutest little girl. Ever. From the blue eyes, to the gapped tooth smile, and the chipped pink nail polish, she is adorballs. So cute!

• Karly replied: — January 31st, 2013 @ 1:34 pm

Thank you! I’m pretty fond of her myself. :)

10. Elizabeth @Food Ramblings January 31, 2013 @ 8:20 pm (#

wow- love, love, love these!

11. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust January 31, 2013 @ 8:56 pm (#

Total winner recipe! I love stuff on sticks and I so suck at it. How cool are these?

12. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl January 31, 2013 @ 9:41 pm (#

Ohmygosh, I love crafty stuff like this that a non-crafty person like me can do! Now that I’m feeling kinda confident, maybe I’ll take on pottery with you. And ooooooh, I’m dying over your awesome pictures, and your super cute helper.

13. Ashton January 31, 2013 @ 10:36 pm (#

Your photos make me fall in love with food all over again every time I visit :)

14. Karen February 1, 2013 @ 12:08 am (#

Adorable! I love that peeps are now available for pretty much every holiday. A marshmallow covered in sugar and then covered in chocolate is heaven.

15. Winnie February 1, 2013 @ 4:32 am (#

These are such great treats!!
    Cute and delicious :)

16. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) February 1, 2013 @ 8:45 am (#

I’m so not crafty either and you have convinced me that I can make these super cute, super adorable little choc. covered peep hearts!!!

17. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet February 1, 2013 @ 10:15 am (#

Well I think they look fantastic and oh so good!

18. Katherine R. February 2, 2013 @ 8:13 am (#

These peeps are adorable! And your daughter is too cute! Love the toothless smile!

• Karly replied: — February 2nd, 2013 @ 1:38 pm

Thank you! I love that little grin too. :)

19. Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking February 6, 2013 @ 8:46 pm (#

your daughter is so cute! what a fun Valentine’s day treat for the kids at all ages

20. Sheri February 16, 2013 @ 8:56 am (#

Thank you for this!! My LO and I made these for Valentines Day. I could not find the strawberry Peeps but i did find vanilla ones. They seemed flimsier than i remember Peeps being, but we made them work! She loved them!

21. Carolyn March 25, 2013 @ 12:39 pm (#

I crave chocolate covered peeps and always buy them after holiday when they’re 50% off. Dipping my own is a great idea, this way I can control the thickness of the chocolate coating! My little 3 yr old charge was screaming for chocolate-covered peanut butter pretzels, so I melted choco chips and dipped the pretzels. A hit!