Homemade Butterfinger Candy Bars

I haven’t been feeling very festive this Halloween. Our pumpkins aren’t carved, my kids don’t have costumes yet, and honest to God, I’ve only eaten three bags of fun size candy bars. THREE. I usually eat double that by now!

It’s like I’m the Grinch of Halloween or something.

Sad. Very sad.

So, I set out to remedy things. Sure, I could have carved pumpkins or bought Halloween costumes (what? you didn’t think I sewed my children’s costumes, did you?), but I thought I’d take care of the candy problem. Only I decided to make my own candy. You know, to make up for my failures in the homemade costume department.

These homemade Butterfinger candy bars could not be simpler and they totally taste like the real thing. Oh, and did I mention that you only need three ingredients to make these? And a microwave? You don’t even have to turn your stove on, y’all.

So, what three magical ingredients can mimic a Butterfinger? Oh, you know…chocolate. Peanut butter. Candy corn. Wait, what?

Candy corn?

For reals.

The texture of these was a bit softer and chewier than a regular Butterfinger, but if you keep them in the fridge they take on that crispness of the original.

Happy Halloween. Have some candy.

PrintPrintSaveSave

Homemade Butterfinger Candy Bars

Ingredients:

3 cups candy corn
1 1/2 cups smooth peanut butter
milk chocolate chips or candy melts, for dipping

Directions:

Place the candy corn in a large bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir and return to microwave. Continue heating for 30 seconds and then stirring until it is completely melted.
Stir in the peanut butter. The heat from the candy corn should melt the peanut butter, but if not return to the microwave for 15 seconds. Stir to combine.
Spread the mixture into an 8x8 baking dish lined with parchment paper. Smooth it out evenly in the pan. Let cool for one hour and then use a pizza cutter to slice into bars.
Melt the chocolate chips or candy melts in the microwave.
Carefully dip the candy bars into the melted chocolate and turn to coat.
Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and wait for the chocolate to set.
Store at room temperature for a chewy texture or in the fridge for a more crisp texture.

adapted from In Katrina’s Kitchen

56 Responses to “Homemade Butterfinger Candy Bars”

1. Amanda Nehls October 25, 2011 @ 9:11 pm (#

yum! i might have to try these, my boyfriend looooooves butterfingers! and these sounds easy to make, gotta love only 3 ingredients!

2. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 25, 2011 @ 9:21 pm (#

These look awesome and just two days ago I pinned a recipe for homemade butterfingers on my pinterest. Who knew that candy corn could be melted with PB to taste like Butterfingers. I am soooo in! Yours look awesome!

3. Tia @ Buttercreambarbie October 25, 2011 @ 9:50 pm (#

yay finally a GOOD use for candy corn!

4. Alli October 25, 2011 @ 11:07 pm (#

Wait what candy corn? I am so intrigued.

5. Kayla October 26, 2011 @ 12:05 am (#

Ive just stumbled onto your site and im a little appalled that it wasnt stumbled sooner. Especially when this is the first recipe I see! This looks amazing!

6. Simone October 26, 2011 @ 12:19 am (#

They sure look delicious and I have to confess I still have to make a Halloween treat!

7. Blog is the New Black October 26, 2011 @ 6:03 am (#

Ok, so I recently heard you could do this… I sort of got this result when I made candy corn blondies- the cc’s hardened and tasted like butter fingers (Almost!)

8. Heather October 26, 2011 @ 6:20 am (#

I am in trouble now. Those look so good and it’s even better they are homemade.

9. shelly (cookies and cups) October 26, 2011 @ 6:47 am (#

I have been dying to try this!! It seems insane that you can make Butterfinger out of candy corn!

10. Alanna October 26, 2011 @ 7:10 am (#

Are you a mind reader? Because I have been craving butterfingers! And now I don’t have to haul myself (and children) to the store.

Also, the ad I see under this recipe is for Jenny Craig. Snort!

11. brandi October 26, 2011 @ 7:49 am (#

hmmm….now there’s a reason to buy candy corn. i’m not a fan of it by itself, but i have no problems melting it down to make into butterfingers!

12. Joanne October 26, 2011 @ 7:25 pm (#

I read about these on another blog earlier today…and was amazed. I am going to buy three bags of candy corn tomorrow in some kind of weird ploy to bury my intestines in homemade butterfingers. And nobody is going to stop me.

13. KtP October 26, 2011 @ 9:21 pm (#

I’m sort of upset I have a billion plans for the upcoming few weeks because I want to spend all my free time making the butterfinger bars, and the pumpkin cake, and the pretzel rolls (with cheese, of course), and the mini chocolate chip pies.

Sigh. I’ll find the time somewhere! (Shakes fist at calendar)

14. Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girl October 26, 2011 @ 10:37 pm (#

Just stumbled on your site a few days ago–I’m loving it, AND these Butterfinger bars. My theory is that the calories don’t count if you make things yourself. :-)

15. DessertForTwo October 27, 2011 @ 7:36 am (#

Look at the big brain on you! I had no idea the insides of butterfingers could be made with melted candy corn & peanut butter. Your kids must think you’re super mom!

16. Megan @ Foodie Cycles October 27, 2011 @ 7:40 am (#

bah!!! why…. why…. butterfingers were my favorite!!! I cant buy them because they are too good.. those crisp-ity crunch-ity butter-ery.. butterfingers.. now i can make them? ha.. you ROCK

17. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen October 27, 2011 @ 9:58 am (#

Wow! Here I am just going through my Reader browsing tasty recipes and I see this! I’m so glad you made them and like them ;) Mmmm

18. what katie's baking October 27, 2011 @ 3:34 pm (#

gotta make these gems!

19. grace October 29, 2011 @ 1:53 am (#

i tried this too–i had my doubts, but it’s unbelievably close! it was hard for me to sacrifice my candy corn to do it, but i decided it was a worthy experiment. :)

20. Donna M. October 31, 2011 @ 8:06 am (#

I made these last night as a Halloween Treat for my office. I cannot believe how delicious these are and the taste is spot on. I made two slight changes: I used my 1/4 sheet pan so they would be a little thinner and cut them in bite size pieces. A little more work for the coating, but definitely worth it. Thank you for sharing this fabulous recipe!!

21. Elizabeth October 31, 2011 @ 4:03 pm (#

I’m not generally a fan of candy corn, but saw this recipe and had to try it! It’s everything I love about butterfingers, but this recipe doesn’t get stuck in my teeth. Double win!

It took me two bags of chocolate chips to cover this amount of the recipe. If I were to make them again, I would use a larger pan so they would be thinner or I would cut them into smaller pieces (around the size of a bite-size candy bar.) They were delicious, but a little too big this way.

They were a huge hit at my office Halloween party. And super easy to do!

22. Makiyah October 31, 2011 @ 4:07 pm (#

I had a bunch of butterfingers left over from a festival at my church and

23. Makiyah October 31, 2011 @ 4:10 pm (#

I got a BUNCH of butterfingers, tried them and hated them! But these look so realisitic!! Cant wait to make them!!! GOOD JOB!!

24. Claire November 1, 2011 @ 10:50 am (#

The very idea of using candy corn grosses me out. … But who am I to judge without tasting? So I made them and they are delicious!! So much that it’s almost scary.

25. Kelley @ The Culinary Enthusiast November 7, 2011 @ 6:55 pm (#

Just made these yesterday – they turned out so good I wish I had more candy corn!

26. Charlie November 26, 2011 @ 4:07 pm (#

I am making these right now.

FYI A 16-ounce jar of peanut butter is pretty much exactly 1.5 cups, so you don’t need to measure it. There’s nothing more obnoxious than measuring out peanut butter.

Also, my candy corn took much longer than the specified time to melt.

27. Lesley August 6, 2012 @ 2:48 pm (#

Can someone please tell me what candy corn is?
    is there a substitute in the uk for it?
    thanks

Karly Reply:

@Lesley,

I think it’s an American thing, but you can google it and see if you can find somewhere in the UK that sells it.

28. leslie September 15, 2012 @ 12:07 pm (#

I feel like an idiot. I did this on the stove-top then put it in the fridge to cool, about two hours. I took it out and it is the hardest thing in the world! How the heck did you guys cut through the block to make little squares? I’ve had it sitting on the counter at room temperature for a while now and nothing! I’m rather annoyed because I thought this was going to be an easy, quick thing.

Karly Reply:

@leslie,

You’ll need to let it come to room temperature. I just cooled mine on the counter.

29. leslie September 15, 2012 @ 3:44 pm (#

UPDATE: Mine are super chewy and taste like… melted candy corn. Maybe I didn’t add enough peanut butter? I don’t know – the taste and texture are totally wrong. Anyone else have troubles the first time?

30. Erin September 20, 2012 @ 9:18 pm (#

I just made these, and they’re awesome. I’d recommend adding just a little bit of Crisco to the chocolate chips; it will be a little thinner and much easier to dip/spread on the peanut butter part, and it hardens faster as well.

31. dljenk October 21, 2012 @ 9:25 am (#

Made these last night and they were great! My husband said they taste just like a butterfinger and I made him taste it and tell me before I told him what they were supposed to taste like :) Thanks for the recipe, it is one of our favorite candy bars.

32. Laura Johnson October 24, 2012 @ 11:42 am (#

I made these last night on a whim when I found this post. Just happened to have some leftover candy corn from last year (we don’t really like it around here), but it only totalled 12 ounces…so I just adjusted the PB as well…and they are delicious! Tast like real BF’s, but not stale!

33. susie November 10, 2012 @ 7:04 am (#

I found this recipe and I’m like candy corn, really. I tried it and they are awesome and I love my butterfingers and these were great and so easy, thank you for sharing.

34. Sally Parrish November 17, 2012 @ 11:45 am (#

These butterfingers are so easy to make. They are so good. My husband said these were better than store brought. This recipe is a keeper.
    Thanks for sharing.

35. Sandy Headtke October 5, 2013 @ 8:21 pm (#

I saw a four pound bag of candy corn and said who would ever eat that much candy corn. Guess who is going back to the store for candy corn?

36. Hillary October 11, 2013 @ 11:33 pm (#

Hi! I haven’t made these, but I did want to say that I saw on an episode of unwrapped years ago that they use cornflakes in the process of making actual butterfingers! Not corn flakes like the cereal though…But still if you ground some
    Up, they might give it that crunch like a real butterfinger!

37. Robyn Barnes February 27, 2014 @ 8:20 pm (#

Ohhh, Karly, I’m SOOO in love with your recipes…ALL of ‘em! I might as well forget dieting all together, now that I’ve found you!

My family LOVES Nutella! When we were in Italy (where Nutella originated) we were able to find it in the MONDO jars. No lie…it was, like, a half gallon container! Back in the ’80′s, after returning from our military tour, the only place we could get Nutella was in the military Commissary. I’m so glad that Americans finally know what’s good! There are a couple of imitations out now from other company’s, but Italy’s ‘Ferrero Company’ Nutella is, and always will be the best!

1. Pingback: Halloween Candy | Cait hates Cake

2. Pingback: Leftover Halloween Candy Corn? Homemade Butterfingers! | The Culinary Enthusiast

3. Pingback: Happy Peanut-Allergy Mom | Give Away Seven a Day

4. Pingback: Homemade Butterfinger Bars « Bashfulbao

5. Pingback: Sunday Set-up: Menu Planning and Grocery Shopping « three60five

6. Pingback: » Homemade Butterfinger Bars

7. Pingback: Homemade Butterfinger Bars | Script. Bake. Run.

8. Pingback: Pintested: Homemade Butterfingers

9. Pingback: 10 Easy Ways to Make Candy Corn Awesome

10. Pingback: Friday Favorites « Living and loving, simply.

11. Pingback: Melted Candy Corn Recipes for After Halloween

12. Pingback: Peanut Butter Lovers Month {Celebrate!} - Prairie Hive

13. Pingback: Hoge: Cut Week Really Not That Complicated For Bears | Chicago Bears

14. Pingback: Bears defense looks primed, as usual | Chicago Bears