Pesto Chicken Panini

You wanna hear a cute story?

My parents’ have a panini grill (this one, if you’re interested – not an affiliate link, fyi) and I don’t. It’s really not fair. They don’t have a food blog, why should they get the fancy appliances?

Anyway, my mom told me that I could borrow the grill since they don’t use it much in the summer. I stopped over to grab it (along with their big mama juicer that they never use – I’m in the process of juicing every single food I come in contact with – carrot juice? Sure! Cheeseburger juice? Awesome! Butter juice? Wait…isn’t that, like, heavy cream? I’ll take it!) and my mom handed it over and said these words:

“You can keep it ’til it cools off outside. We might want to grill indoors this winter.”

And, I said “Sure! I’ll bring it right back! I just want to try it once!”

Here’s the cute part: she believed me. Don’t you just want to pat her on the head and squeeze her adorable, naive little cheeks?

The thing is, that panini grill is mine now. I put one of my address labels on it, so when she asks about it I’ll be all, what? This grill? You mean the one that has my name and address on it? I think you must be mistaken.

Works every time.

Pesto Chicken Panini

Ingredients

• 2 slices sourdough bread
  • butter, to spread on the bread
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup shredded Grilled or leftover chicken (I used leftover rotisserie chicken)
  • 2 thick slices fresh mozzarella
  • 2 thick slices tomato
  • salt, to taste
  • 1 tablespoon mayo
  • 2 tablespoons pesto (from the grocery store or make your own!)

Instructions

1. Heat the panini grill to low.
  2. Spread both slices of bread with the butter. Spread the mayo and pesto on the opposite side of the butter. Top with chicken, mozzarella, and tomato. Sprinkle with salt. Top the sandwich with the other piece of buttered bread.
  3. Place on the panini grill and close the top. Grill until the cheese begins to get melty. Turn the grill up to medium to get a nice crunch on the outside of the bread. Remove from the grill, slice in half, and serve hot.

16 Responses to “Pesto Chicken Panini”

1. Your Mama August 31, 2011 @ 6:05 am (#

I heard that!

2. amanda @ fake ginger August 31, 2011 @ 6:10 am (#

ahaha! Hilarious! I’ve wanted a panini maker for so long! I wish my mom had one that I could steal! :P The sandwich looks awesome! Makes me want a panini maker even more.

3. mrsblocko August 31, 2011 @ 6:50 am (#

Hehe. That sounds like something I would do!

4. Amanda August 31, 2011 @ 6:52 am (#

Delicious! I have everything in the house to make this, thanks!

5. DessertForTwo August 31, 2011 @ 7:20 am (#

Well aren’t you daughter of the year? I will try a similar approach this weekend at my parent’s house. There are a few things I have my eye on…juicer, balloon whisks, etc. I’ll report back :)

6. Joanne August 31, 2011 @ 11:50 am (#

Haha I like the way you think! I do the same thing with the figs my parents grow on their fig tree. By which I mean…I lick them and then my parents dont want them anymore.

I love this sandwich! Pesto is the perfect summer food.

7. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust August 31, 2011 @ 12:11 pm (#

I love paninis with pesto. So good! I agree with you – now that your name is on it, the press is yours! ;)

8. what katie's baking August 31, 2011 @ 7:58 pm (#

this plus the hot fudge peanut butter bars… perfect dinner.
    p.s. i don’t know if i told you, but your new recipe set up is such a good idea!!
    i have a question… how did you set up your recipes tab?

9. Erin September 1, 2011 @ 10:39 am (#

We LOVE our panini grill! We use it all the time! This recipe looks delicious! I had a chicken/pesto sandwich at a restaurant not too long ago and it was so so good. I’m going to have to make something like this at home soon!

10. Anna September 1, 2011 @ 2:44 pm (#

You crack me up. I love a good panini, but none of them would include pesto. I have not acquired that taste yet.

11. Amy @ A Little Nosh September 3, 2011 @ 5:09 am (#

Oh yum! I bet I could do something similar with my little Foreman. Gonna have to try!

12. Patty September 17, 2011 @ 3:58 pm (#

I was also thinking of trying these with my Geo. Foreman grill. Is there a difference between a Panini grill and the Foreman?

13. Natalie October 4, 2011 @ 7:02 pm (#

Yummy!!! Pesto and Chicken go so well together!

14. Ashley May 31, 2012 @ 10:53 am (#

Wanna know a secret!? A griddle works just as well! Just cook it kinda like you would a grilled cheese!

1. Pingback: Breakfast Panini — Buns In My Oven