Rolo Cake Mix Cookies

These rolo cookies are just 4 ingredients and perfect for holiday baking! The surprise caramel inside each soft and chewy chocolate cookie is absolute perfection!
Ooey gooey rolo caramel cake mix cookies

Let me take you back in time about 12-ish years ago.*

I was sitting in the kitchen unwrapping a bunch of caramel candies or Hershey kisses or Rolo candies or Reese’s or any number of other individually wrapped pieces of deliciousness. I was planning on putting the candy in some sort of baked good and there I was. Unwrapping. And unwrapping. More and more and more all day long and into the evening I sat there unwrapping those candies.

Finally I yelled out to my husband and said, “Husband! I’ve just had a brilliant idea!”

My husband came running to hear this idea.

“We’ll have children! Many, many children! And they’ll think it is SO FUN to help me out in the kitchen and so I’ll give them the horrible job of unwrapping the candies!”

My husband’s jaw dropped for he was in awe of his brilliant wife. Then we went and made babies. With our clothes on, obviously. (Hi Mom and Dad!)

The moral of that story is this: If you do not have children you should really fix that. They make excellent unwrappers of candy and they even think the job is fun.

Do not attempt these cookies without children as the most time consuming  and annoying part of making these is the unwrapping of the Rolo candies and I don’t want you all to grumble and curse at me under your breath. Just find a child, hand them the bag, and go paint your toes or something. When you’re both done, it’s time to mix the other three ingredients together and get these cookies in the oven.

Seriously simple, seriously delicious, and seriously fun.

*This story is totally false. 12-ish years ago I made only one dessert and that was slice and bake sugar cookies purchased from the grocery store on the way to school and served raw to my friends in the hallway before class. It made for  a pretty awesome breakfast/dessert.

PrintPrint Recipe

Rolo Cake Mix Cookies

Ingredients:

1 box Devil's Food cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
Rolo candies, unwrapped

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment.
Mix together the first three ingredients. Grab a small piece of dough (about half the size of a golf ball) and roll it into a ball. Smoosh it flat, place a Rolo in the center, and then close the dough around the Rolo. Repeat until all of the dough is used.
Bake for about 9 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Delicious served warm or at room temperature.

Recipe from Six Sister’s Stuff.

67 Responses to “Rolo Cake Mix Cookies”

1. Anna @ happycookinghealthyliving.com January 19, 2014 @ 9:20 am (#

oh Wow!!! I will definitely try and make these cookies. they look absolutely delicious!

2. Donna B January 19, 2014 @ 11:30 pm (#

I make these but use milk duds instead of the rolos. Also a tip I read once was when rolling cookie dough such as this in your hands and having trouble with it sticking, spray your hands often with veg. oil pan spray. It helps a lot!

3. L March 1, 2014 @ 4:53 pm (#

These were way yummy! I tend to make pretty huge cookies though, and these were no exception, but I’ll make them smaller next time because the best part was defiantly where the dough and candy melted together, so the plain cookie portions were a little bland in comparison. But so easy and delicious, you can’t not love them!

• Karly replied: — March 5th, 2014 @ 10:27 am

@L,

So glad you enjoyed them!

4. Brianna March 19, 2014 @ 7:01 pm (#

I have made these several times, and they’re always a hit! They’re so easy to make too, but I always have a hard time rolling them because they stick to my hands so much. Is there any way to stop that?

• Karly replied: — March 20th, 2014 @ 8:38 am

@Brianna,

These can definitely get messy! Keeping your dough and your hands cold (run your hands under cold water every few minute) will help, though!

5. Jill June 24, 2014 @ 12:27 pm (#

These cookies look like texture of chocolate krinkles .. I’m going to make them for my new special guy who LOVES chocolate and carmel..You can find the small bags of rolos unwrapped that will definitely save time!

6. Rebekah December 14, 2014 @ 4:17 pm (#

One of my favorite cookies to make and always a crowd pleaser! I sometimes make them minus the Rolo, and just spread an Andes mint on top of each one right when they get out of the oven. Also, you can now buy packages of UNWRAPPED Rolos at Walmart – yay!

• Karly replied: — December 14th, 2014 @ 9:22 pm

Ooh, great idea with the Andes mint! I’ll have to try that!

7. anonymous January 19, 2015 @ 1:29 pm (#

Don’t care for them, way too sweet for me & they taste more like a brownie than a cookie & of course you can definitely taste the cake mix in there. I won’t make them again. Sometimes the easy way doesn’t always taste that great.

1. Pingback: 50 Holiday Cookies - Creme De La Crumb

2. Pingback: Award Winning Cookies (With Recipes) | Gags Area

3. Pingback: 10 Award Winning Cookies That Will Give You Multiple Mouthgasms (With Recipes) | EpicDash

4. Pingback: Pumpkin Pecan Crunch Cake — Never Enough Thyme - Recipes with a slight southern accent.

5. Pingback: OMG! These Award Winning Cookies Make Us Weak In The Knees! | UnMotivating

6. Pingback: 16 Cake Mix Cookie Recipes ? Pint-sized Treasures