Rolo Cake Mix Cookies

These rolo cookies are just 4 ingredients and perfect for holiday baking! The surprise caramel inside each soft and chewy chocolate cookie is absolute perfection!
Rolo Cake Mix Cookies recipe

Let me take you back in time about 12-ish years ago.*

I was sitting in the kitchen unwrapping a bunch of caramel candies or Hershey kisses or Rolo candies or Reese’s or any number of other individually wrapped pieces of deliciousness. I was planning on putting the candy in some sort of baked good and there I was. Unwrapping. And unwrapping. More and more and more all day long and into the evening I sat there unwrapping those candies.

Finally I yelled out to my husband and said, “Husband! I’ve just had a brilliant idea!”

Rolo Cake Mix Cookies recipe

My husband came running to hear this idea.

“We’ll have children! Many, many children! And they’ll think it is SO FUN to help me out in the kitchen and so I’ll give them the horrible job of unwrapping the candies!”

My husband’s jaw dropped for he was in awe of his brilliant wife. Then we went and made babies. With our clothes on, obviously. (Hi Mom and Dad!)

The moral of that story is this: If you do not have children you should really fix that. They make excellent unwrappers of candy and they even think the job is fun.

Rolo Cake Mix Cookies recipe

Do not attempt these cookies without children as the most time consuming  and annoying part of making these is the unwrapping of the Rolo candies and I don’t want you all to grumble and curse at me under your breath. Just find a child, hand them the bag, and go paint your toes or something. When you’re both done, it’s time to mix the other three ingredients together and get these cookies in the oven.

Seriously simple, seriously delicious, and seriously fun.

*This story is totally false. 12-ish years ago I made only one dessert and that was slice and bake sugar cookies purchased from the grocery store on the way to school and served raw to my friends in the hallway before class. It made for  a pretty awesome breakfast/dessert.

Rolo Cake Mix Cookies recipe

Rolo Cake Mix Cookies recipe

Rolo Cake Mix Cookies recipePrint Recipe

Rolo Cake Mix Cookies

Ingredients:

1 box Devil's Food cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
Rolo candies, unwrapped

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment.
Mix together the first three ingredients. Grab a small piece of dough (about half the size of a golf ball) and roll it into a ball. Smoosh it flat, place a Rolo in the center, and then close the dough around the Rolo. Repeat until all of the dough is used.
Bake for about 9 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Delicious served warm or at room temperature.

Recipe from Six Sister’s Stuff.

66 Responses to “Rolo Cake Mix Cookies”

1. Kinsey French August 8, 2011 @ 1:42 pm (#

Ooh yum! I am definitely going to try out making these things!! :D

2. The Blue-Eyed Bakers August 8, 2011 @ 1:45 pm (#

Gah! We love these! We LOVE Rolos and are seriously so excited you’ve worked them into a cookie – yippee!

3. Maria August 8, 2011 @ 1:52 pm (#

I’ve made Rolo cookies, but not with a cake mix! Love this easy recipe!

4. shelly (cookies and cups) August 8, 2011 @ 1:55 pm (#

love this recipe..and kids do make great candy unwrappers..it’s just the getting them not to eat said candy that is hard!

5. JoAnn August 8, 2011 @ 2:16 pm (#

I make these as Christmas cookies, but my recipe is from scratch. I also drizzle white chocolate over them – added yumminess!

6. Caryn August 8, 2011 @ 2:29 pm (#

HA! TOO Funny! Love this recipe!

7. Melissa August 8, 2011 @ 3:28 pm (#

Sounds yummy!! About how many cookies do you get out of a batch?

8. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 8, 2011 @ 5:27 pm (#

Simple perfection! Genius idea, cake mix turned into cookies. With a rolo inside…NICE

Congrats on your PBS feature!

9. Joanne August 8, 2011 @ 7:55 pm (#

I’m still having children for expressly this purpose. And to peel potatoes. I SO don’t want to do that. Ever.

10. Sasha @ The Procrastobaker August 9, 2011 @ 2:04 am (#

I just loved your little story here! You have such a wonderful imagination and style of writing :) And lets be fair, your cookies aint too shoddy either :) they look so gooey and…mmm. Lovely :)

11. JC August 9, 2011 @ 5:12 am (#

I enjoyed the interview (and knowing that you homeschool too) and your blog….keep the recipes coming.

I spell LOVE by cooking too! I’d spend all day if I could.

12. David King August 9, 2011 @ 5:41 am (#

I want to make these can I borrow your children?

13. Janet Rudolph August 9, 2011 @ 8:01 am (#

OMG.. Got to love Rolos and in chocolate cookies.. to die for. Definitely keeping this recipe. Fab photos, too!

14. Diana August 9, 2011 @ 8:10 am (#

This is genius in its simplicity! They look delicious.

15. Alli August 9, 2011 @ 9:10 am (#

If I left that job to my kids I would not have anything to stuff the cookies with. These look easy and fantastic.

16. Amanda August 9, 2011 @ 12:59 pm (#

Coincidence. That’s why I had babies too!!! I can’t wait to try this recipe.

17. Jenn (Cookies Cupcakes Cardio) August 9, 2011 @ 9:24 pm (#

I once tried angel food cookies like this, but I wasn’t clever enough to think to STUFF them! Brilliant! I teach Kindergarten, so I don’t even need to look very far to find un-wrappers!

18. meghan August 10, 2011 @ 8:12 am (#

For the love of God woman! How are you going to post this, now, while I am work totally reading blogs and I have a raging case of PMS!
    Dear Lord, I’m ready to call it a day so I can go home & make these.

19. Lacey August 10, 2011 @ 9:45 am (#

I have been looking for something fun to make for a Cookies and Milk baby shower! These will be perfect! … If you buy the rolo’s by the roll (usually by the registers) you get 8 in a roll and just one package to unwrap!

20. grace August 10, 2011 @ 2:56 pm (#

i like to toss rolos in cupcakes. and frankly, i like to toss them right down my gullet–they’re a delight! nice cookies, karly. :)

21. Allie August 10, 2011 @ 5:51 pm (#

Thanks so much for the yummy and easy recipe. They turned out so delish and my two year old love being my unwrapper/ eater :)

22. Cookbook Queen August 12, 2011 @ 8:06 am (#

Children are awesome candy unwrappers.

They just might eat a littleish of them.

But totally worth it.

These cookies look like they’re from Heaven.

23. Amy @ A Little Nosh August 15, 2011 @ 8:42 am (#

Hi, I have all these ingredients at home. Including the kid who absolutely LOVES helping me unwrap Rolos.

24. Melissa August 23, 2011 @ 12:14 pm (#

Tried this recipe last Wednesday afternoon. By Thursday morning all 3 dozen cookies were gone! They are SOOOO good and SOOOO addicting. :) Thanks for posting this recipe.

25. jeannie August 24, 2011 @ 9:43 am (#

Does anyone know if you can make these into bars?

26. Jacqui September 11, 2011 @ 7:17 am (#

I took this recipe one step further and rolled them in powdered sugar before baking! Delish!

27. Ray September 28, 2011 @ 9:15 am (#

couldn’t you substitute milk duds for the rolos and never have to unwrap a candy again?

28. Brittany September 29, 2011 @ 8:31 am (#

OMG!!! Karly! These were great! I made them for work and they were gone in a flash! I’m not kidding! Hudini has nothing on how fast they vanished. And let me tell you I had people storm into my office asking me what they were eating and how they make them! Rest assured I sent all of the inquiries cookies eaters the link to your wonderful blog and the delicious Rolo Cake mix recipe!

They did tell me there was one problem with the cookies… I didn’t bring enough in (heh heh heh, I left the other batch at home… I’m no dummie!)

Another girl here lovesssss Nutella, so I forwarded her all of about 6 of your Nutella recipes too! These were great!

THANK YOU!

29. Meggylou October 27, 2011 @ 8:37 pm (#

Not sure what I did wrong when I made them but I was sad. The dough was super super sticky and impossible to handle. I’ll definitely try it again with an actual cookie dough instead of cake mix since I LOVE the concept!!!

30. Amy @ A Little Nosh October 29, 2011 @ 9:12 am (#

MIne were really tall, not nice and flat like yours. Did you press them down at some point?

31. Karly October 29, 2011 @ 10:02 am (#

Amy,

No, I didn’t press them down. Not sure why yours wouldn’t have flattened out.

Hopefully they were still tasty!

Karly

32. Jill November 17, 2011 @ 1:26 pm (#

Oh my…I have two kids that would be perfect at that “unwrapping job.” Gonna have to try these soon! Thanks for sharing!

33. Kathy November 23, 2011 @ 5:05 pm (#

All I can say is YUMMMMM. And it was worth unwrapping every little Rolo myself!

34. Remi November 25, 2011 @ 4:40 pm (#

These are soooooo AMAZING!!!! I can’t stop eating them!!! The only thing is that the dough made 24 instead of 13. So I don’t know if I did something wrong. but stil these cake cookies are the best things!!!

35. melissa January 16, 2012 @ 8:16 pm (#

i laughed so hard at your story behind these cookies! haven’t made them yet, but def. will. thanks for sharing!

36. Chris March 11, 2012 @ 2:14 pm (#

These didn’t work out so well for me. When I went to roll them into balls they just smeared all over my hands…

• Karly replied: — March 12th, 2012 @ 8:18 am

@Chris, Hmm, I’ve since made another version of these and had a similar problem. Chilling the dough and keeping your hands cold (rinse them under cold water periodically) helped tremendously. :)

37. Ruth December 8, 2012 @ 2:11 pm (#

I’ve tried this recipe, too. Ran out of Rolo’s and have used mini Reeses PB cups and also Andes mints. So easy and good!!

38. Judy Beaver March 12, 2013 @ 6:00 pm (#

Just made these using marble cake mix !!! Great !!!

39. Anna @ happycookinghealthyliving.com January 19, 2014 @ 9:20 am (#

oh Wow!!! I will definitely try and make these cookies. they look absolutely delicious!

40. Donna B January 19, 2014 @ 11:30 pm (#

I make these but use milk duds instead of the rolos. Also a tip I read once was when rolling cookie dough such as this in your hands and having trouble with it sticking, spray your hands often with veg. oil pan spray. It helps a lot!

41. L March 1, 2014 @ 4:53 pm (#

These were way yummy! I tend to make pretty huge cookies though, and these were no exception, but I’ll make them smaller next time because the best part was defiantly where the dough and candy melted together, so the plain cookie portions were a little bland in comparison. But so easy and delicious, you can’t not love them!

• Karly replied: — March 5th, 2014 @ 10:27 am

@L,

So glad you enjoyed them!

42. Brianna March 19, 2014 @ 7:01 pm (#

I have made these several times, and they’re always a hit! They’re so easy to make too, but I always have a hard time rolling them because they stick to my hands so much. Is there any way to stop that?

• Karly replied: — March 20th, 2014 @ 8:38 am

@Brianna,

These can definitely get messy! Keeping your dough and your hands cold (run your hands under cold water every few minute) will help, though!

43. Jill June 24, 2014 @ 12:27 pm (#

These cookies look like texture of chocolate krinkles .. I’m going to make them for my new special guy who LOVES chocolate and carmel..You can find the small bags of rolos unwrapped that will definitely save time!

44. Rebekah December 14, 2014 @ 4:17 pm (#

One of my favorite cookies to make and always a crowd pleaser! I sometimes make them minus the Rolo, and just spread an Andes mint on top of each one right when they get out of the oven. Also, you can now buy packages of UNWRAPPED Rolos at Walmart – yay!

• Karly replied: — December 14th, 2014 @ 9:22 pm

Ooh, great idea with the Andes mint! I’ll have to try that!

1. Pingback: Things to Try Thursday (18th August) « Kirschplunder's Blog

2. Pingback: Chocolate Rolo Cookies | Lemon Spandex

3. Pingback: My New Favorite (and easy) Cookies. | Falling for Food

4. Pingback: Confluence: PPS Team Collaboration

5. Pingback: Cakes Gone Cookie! | Cake Mix Cookies To Die For - Mom Always Finds Out

6. Pingback: Chocolate Mint Surprise Cookies « Like Mother, Like Daughter Food

7. Pingback: Red Velvet Gooey Butter Cookies |

8. Pingback: Rolo Cake Mix Cookies | Cake Recipes Planet®

9. Pingback: Chocolate Cake Mix Rolo Cookies « Courtney Carroll Cooking and Baking

10. Pingback: Salted Rolo Brownie Cookies

11. Pingback: Rolo Cake Mix Cookies | WorldFoodRecipes.com

12. Pingback: 31 Recipes Using Halloween Candy | Love to be in the Kitchen

13. Pingback: 50 Holiday Cookies - Creme De La Crumb

14. Pingback: Award Winning Cookies (With Recipes) | Gags Area

15. Pingback: 10 Award Winning Cookies That Will Give You Multiple Mouthgasms (With Recipes) | EpicDash

16. Pingback: Pumpkin Pecan Crunch Cake — Never Enough Thyme - Recipes with a slight southern accent.

17. Pingback: OMG! These Award Winning Cookies Make Us Weak In The Knees! | UnMotivating

18. Pingback: 16 Cake Mix Cookie Recipes ? Pint-sized Treasures