Oatmeal Cream Pies

Oatmeal Cream Pies recipe

Once upon a time there was a little girl who ate Little Debbie Nutty Bars every day for lunch. Yes, of course, she also ate turkey sandwiches and other less sugary things, but the Nutty Bars were the best part according to the girl. The girl had a brother who ate Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies quite often, but the girl turned her nose up at those cookies and stuck with what she knew…the Nutty Bar. The girl grew up to be a fabulous, amazing, superb woman (What? It’s my story, I can write it how I want.) never having tried the humble Oatmeal Cream Pie.

That’s a (mostly) true story.

I’m a grown woman who has never had an oatmeal cream pie. Now you see why my husband calls me un-American?

I’ll be honest, the Little Debbie packages tempt me. I walk down that aisle at the grocery store and chant “Little Debbie is the debil, Little Debbie is the debil.” It helps. Usually. Sometimes. Okay, so once I bought a box of Ho-Ho’s (I don’t know what they are really called, but I like to call them Ho-Ho’s) and proceeded to eat the whole box in just a few days. I’m not proud of it, but it happened.

Those oatmeal cream pies have always been a mystery though. Surely they must be good, I would think. And, yet, I could never bring myself to taste one.

Today that changed. Today I made my own. I’m kinda depressed that I’ve lived my whole life without these. They are amazing, the delicious hint of cinnamon in the soft, chewy cookie and the sticky, sweet filling is just an awesome combination. I don’t personally know how they compare to the Little Debbie cookies, but my husband grew up eating those things for breakfast and he gave my version two sticky, gooey thumbs up. It’s safe to say that the other woman (Little Debbie) has been eliminated from our relationship for good. Well, for him anyway. I still haven’t made homemade Ho-Ho’s.

Oatmeal Cream Pies recipe

Oatmeal Cream Pies
recipe from Honey & Jam

• 1 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cups quick oats

In the bowl of a mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. Beat in vanilla and the eggs, one at a time until well incorporated. Whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and oats. Beat into the cream mixture. Refrigerate cookie dough for 15 minutes.

Drop about 1 tbsp of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. The centers should still be slightly underdone when you remove them from the oven. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Spread about 1 tbsp of cream filling (recipe below) on the bottom of one cookie and then top with another cookie.

Cream Filling

• 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (I imagine butter would work just fine)
  • 1 1/2 cups marshmallow cream
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1-2 tbsp milk, as needed

Cream together the shortening and marshmallow cream. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla, beat well. Thin with milk until you get the right consistency. The mixture should be thick and creamy, but easily spreadable.

26 Responses to “Oatmeal Cream Pies”

1. Maria July 22, 2010 @ 9:20 am (#

I have been wanting to make these for a long time. Thanks for the reminder. They look perfect!

2. Lynn July 22, 2010 @ 9:22 am (#

These look so good! I think that filling would be good for all kinds of cookies. :)

3. Jessica @ How Sweet July 22, 2010 @ 10:46 am (#

I would love to make these – such a fun, homemade spin on the original. They look delicious!

4. Joanne July 22, 2010 @ 11:14 am (#

You were missing out on never having the Little Debbie’s version…they were awesome. I’ve actually been thinking a lot about them lately for some ungodly reason (maybe you and I are connected at the stomach?) and so I’m SO glad you posted this. They look way better than the ones in those little plastic bags.

5. The Blue-Eyed Bakers July 22, 2010 @ 11:49 am (#

Oh delicious! The packaged versions are pretty fabulous…but these homemade ones look a hundred times better! We would probably need to double that delicious cream filling!!

6. Michelle July 22, 2010 @ 12:04 pm (#

Oh mercy, how I love oatmeal cream pies. As yummy as the Little Debbie version is, I can’t help but think yours are that good x 10. They look perfect and I am so wishing I had a plateful right now with a big glass of cold milk.

7. avril miller July 22, 2010 @ 8:18 pm (#

Oh my!!!! I can not wait to make these myself!!!!! Merci Beaucoup for such a tresure of a recipe!!!! :-)

8. grace July 23, 2010 @ 4:53 am (#

i don’t think little debbie makes anything i haven’t loved, yet i’m never quite able to recreate her treats at home. these look so close to those boxed oatmeal cream pies, i think you must be onto something! incidentally, the boxed ones always, ALWAYS seemed to be smushed, which totally took away from the enjoyment factor. :)

9. Ashley July 23, 2010 @ 5:48 pm (#

I’ve never had nor heard of an oatmeal cream pie!! Most interesting. The filling with the marshmallow cream sounds like it would be delicious and result in much finger licking! Your kids must have loved these.

10. Barbara July 26, 2010 @ 6:45 am (#

Do I dare admit in public that I’ve never eaten Little Debbie anything? But I sure wouldn’t mind starting with this homemade version! YUM!

11. Kristin August 1, 2010 @ 12:02 pm (#

I made these and they came out flat as a pancake. The only change I made to your recipe was that I refrigerated them overnight, which should be even better than 15 minutes to stop the spreading. Any idea what might have gone wrong???

12. Karly August 1, 2010 @ 3:05 pm (#

Kristin,

The cookies come out pretty flat to begin with since they are meant to be sandwich cookies. However, if they were too flat, it could be that your butter was too melty. It should be just soft, but not at all melted. Another reason for flat cookies is overmixing. Something about mixing in a bunch of air can cause them to go flat after baking. Sorry you had problems with these guys!

Hope they were still tasty!
    Karly

13. Bridget August 10, 2010 @ 6:54 pm (#

First, I love Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies. Delish. Can’t wait to try this recipe. Second, I think I might love you! I just found your blog a few days ago. You are hilarious and might be my lost soulmate. Weird? Maybe. But it is what it is.

14. Kerry August 11, 2010 @ 1:09 pm (#

I cannot wait to try these! I loved oatmeal cream pies growing up. They’re the best. And I bet they taste even better homemade!

15. Ginny August 12, 2010 @ 2:36 pm (#

As a child I loved to smear peanut butter with a sprinkle of sugar on my oatmeal cream pies. they were the best. I can’t wait to try these.

16. Juliana August 24, 2010 @ 1:18 pm (#

these were delicious! thanks for sharing!

17. Pretty. Good. Food. September 1, 2010 @ 1:00 pm (#

Oh man this looks delicious! Everything here looks so yummy! And your photographs are beautiful!
    I recently launched my own blog http://www.prettygoodfood.com I’d love for you to check it out and let me know what you think! Thanks and Happy Cooking!

18. joanie September 21, 2010 @ 5:30 pm (#

These are quite possibly one of my favorite recipes, and I was also not too big of an oatmeal cream pie fan as a kid. These blow Little Debbie’s out of the water though!

19. Amanda September 22, 2010 @ 12:20 pm (#

I LOVE everything you have posted on this site!
    I just made these cookies for my husband, who is also a little Debbie addict, for our anniversary. The filling came out really runny…any suggestions? I didn’t want to add anymore powdered sugar…tasted really sweet as it was….

Thanks!!!

20. Sarah February 26, 2011 @ 8:21 am (#

My best friend made these and oh my gosh there are simply no words! Bless you

21. Gina Knuppenburg February 27, 2011 @ 10:02 pm (#

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I made these tonight…and have already shared the recipe with some friends. They are A-MAZING!!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Oatmeal Cream Pies — Buns In My Oven -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Whats your favorite late night snack?

3. Pingback: Breville Made Espressos and Oatmeal Cream Pies — Cooking and Blogging

4. Pingback: Noshies » Oatmeal Cream Pies

5. Pingback: Oatmeal Cream Cookies - We Create Success - Independent Distributors of GNLD » We Create Success - Independent Distributors of GNLD