Yes. You read that title correctly.
I made your favorite childhood snack into frosting. Now, you not only get a rice krispies (rice crispy? rice krispy? rice crispies?) treat, you also get cake, all in one amazing dessert!
You guys, this stuff is outrageous. It’s like a fluffy cloud of all your childhood dreams atop a cupcake.
I was feeling super proud of myself for creating such an original recipe when I realized that, hey, actually Oreo just came out with some marshmallow crispy cookies and the filling tastes a lot like this frosting! I’m either more or less awesome than I previously thought. I can’t decide.
Anyway, this frosting is suh-weet. Be sure you add the salt to the recipe, because I find that salt can really help balance out an overly sweet frosting. Obviously, you can add too much salt and that’s no good, but I tend to add a little, taste, and add a little more as needed. Just be careful not to go overboard or you’ll have salty frosting and your life will no longer be worth living.
Hide yo’ kids and hide yo’ wife, because I’m eating all the cupcakes up in here. <— Truth. I have the sugar coma to prove it.
One note: This stuff is amazing, but like any cereal, it gets soggy after awhile. Make this frosting and serve it immediately after. If you must make the frosting in advance, leave out the cereal, store in the fridge, bring to room temperature when you’re ready to use it, and then stir in the cereal and spread on your cupcakes.
Rice Krispies Treat Frosting
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup marshmallow creme
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup rice krispies cereal
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk, beat the butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the marshmallow creme and vanilla extract.
- Turn the mixer to low and stir in the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, until it's all mixed in.
- With the mixer on low, add in the rice krispies and mix until just combined.
- Spoon or spread onto your favorite cupcakes. Sprinkle with extra cereal, if desired.
More fun frosting recipes:
Rice Krispies Treat Frosting (made with actual rice krispies treats!) from Beyond Frosting
Toasted Marshmallow Frosting from Cookies and Cups
Cotton Candy Cloud Frosting from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
Cherry Chip Frosting from Shugary Sweets