This fluffy meringue frosting recipe is a dream! You’ll want to frost every cake you make with it!
The cake batter overflows and turns my oven into a smoky disaster. The cakes get dried out and crumble into dust. The layers all slide right off of each other and onto the floor…five minutes before guests are due to arrive to eat said cake.
I could write a novel about cake baking failures.
For example, that one time I made a 7 layer rainbow cake for my daughter’s birthday and the cake split down the middle and slide all over the place in my fridge while I was sleeping. That was fantastic. And by fantastic, I mean horrible.
Every now and then I manage to pull one off and it gives me hope, though.
You’re going to love this easy meringue frosting!
I was really craving frosting the other day. And I don’t mean that I wanted a spoonful from the emergency tub of grocery store frosting. I mean, I wanted a cake topped with glorious swirls and copious amounts of fluffy, pure white meringue frosting.
So, I grabbed a box mix, baked a cake, and whipped up this meringue frosting. It is divine. Fluffy, sweet, marshmallow-y meringue. I smeared this on myself like lotion and then licked it off. <—- Not weird.
And, yeah, I did use a box mix. No shame, guys. If you have a perfect cake recipe of your own, go for it. This meringue frosting is perfect on any cake, from a box or homemade! It’s so light and fluffy that it would dress up anything!
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- 5 large egg whites room temperature
- Bring 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the sugar, the corn syrup, and the water to a boil, stirring constantly. Wash down sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush.
- Stop stirring and cook the sugar syrup until it reaches 230 degrees.
- While the sugar syrup is cooking, beat the egg whites with a mixer until you have soft peaks. Beat in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Add the sugar syrup in a slow, steady stream down the side of the mixing bowl. Beat on high speed until thick, fluffy, and cooled, around 7 minutes.
- Frost cake and store in the fridge.