These red velvet cream cheese muffins come together quickly – no mixer needed! The crumb topping is divine and totally makes these muffins extra special.
Can we talk for a moment about how I’m sort of a terrible friend? Ugh.
You see, way back in 2014, I promised Deborah (you know Deborah? The blogger behind Taste and Tell!) that I would review her cookbook on my blog. I was excited to do it, actually. Her book is titled Red Velvet Lover’s Cookbook. Who would not be excited about that?!
And then I received the book and I flipped through it 500 times and just could not decide on which recipe to make. The crepes? The pancakes? The donuts? <— I apparently had a thing for breakfast.
What about the Red Velvet Bundt Cake? Or the thumprints?
How is a girl supposed to choose?
Finally, I got around to making the cream cheese muffins. You guys. The cream cheese muffins. I’m so glad I got off my butt and started cooking out of this book! Total yum.
I’ve since made the donuts and crepes as well. Because, like I said – breakfast. I apparently really like it. Each one of the recipes I’ve tried has been so stinking good, but also super easy and approachable. No weird ingredients, no huge ingredients list, no insane amount of dishes after I’m done. Just easy, simple red velvet deliciousness.
This book has photographs for every recipe, which I happen to love. The recipes themselves are everyday fare that your family probably already loves, but with a red velvet twist to make them special. Just like Deborah’s blog, these recipes deliver every time.
I’d definitely add this book to your wish list if you’re a red velvet lover! With over 50 recipes and plenty of 5 star reviews on Amazon, it’s a winner. BUY THE BOOK HERE!
I have so many other cookbooks sitting on my shelves and just waiting for some love. I’m thinking of copy-catting Deborah and reviewing one cookbook a week for the entire year. Or maybe one per month? What do you guys think? Seems like a fun way to discover some amazing recipes and spread the love!
I vote that you all make these cream cheese muffins for Valentine’s Day. Your lover will go nuts for that crumb topping. It’s a breeze to put together and adds the perfect sweet touch to the muffins.
Red Velvet Cream Cheese Muffin
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red liquid food coloring
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg beaten
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter cubed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- To make the muffins, whisk together the flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, cocoa, food coloring, oil, and egg.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just moistened.
- Beat together the cream cheese and remaining 1/4 cup of sugar in a small bowl. Fold into the muffin batter, leaving some streaks and not overmixing.
- Fill the muffin tins two-thirds full with batter.
- To make the crumb topping, stir together the sugar and flour in a small bowl. Use a pastry cutter to blend in the butter until you have coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the topping over the muffins and bake for 17 to 20 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then remove to a rack to cool completely.