The Gobbler

The Gobbler recipe

Oh, stop that.

Don’t roll your eyes at me. It’s mean.

I know that you can probably make a turkey sandwich without a recipe, but you guys. This is not just a turkey sandwich.

This is perfection.

The Gobbler recipe

Growing up, my mama and my aunt would go to Brown County, Indiana every summer and they’d often let me and a friend tag along. We’d run around the hotel causing trouble, flirt with boys in the hotel pool, and shop our little teenage butts off. We would always be sure to stop for lunch at the little coffee shop in town and get The Brown County Gobbler, a turkey sandwich that put all other turkey sandwiches to shame.

I’m not sure why it’s taken me so long to share this recipe with you, other than the fear that you’d roll your eyes at me. I mean, really. How hard can a turkey sandwich be? But this one really is a bit unique! Instead of a slice of cheese and mayo, you just smear on some cream cheese and call it good. Actually, no. You call it amazing.

The Gobbler recipe

The original gobbler sandwich doesn’t have avocado and, if I remember correctly, it had sprouts instead of lettuce. I’ve tailored this to suit my tastes and you can certainly do the same. Just be sure to use a fresh croissant (or a bagel – yum!) and plenty of cream cheese!

If you’re looking for a fun lunch or even a light dinner, these sandwiches are sure to please.

The Gobbler recipe

The Gobbler recipe

The Gobbler recipePrint Recipe

The Gobbler

Ingredients:

1 croissant per sandwich
shaved deli turkey breast (I prefer honey roasted)
cream cheese
fresh tomato slices
avocado slices
shredded lettuce
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Slice the croissants in half. Spread a thick layer of cream cheese on the croissant, top with the tomatoes, turkeys, lettuce, and avocado. Add salt and pepper to taste.

32 Responses to “The Gobbler”

1. Belinda @themoonblushbaker September 20, 2013 @ 6:21 am (#

In Australia Sandwiches made with croissants are actually very very popular! Ham and cheese is the go to down here but I love anything in it to be honest. Maybe it is just my love for the buttery goodness of the pastry… You need to toast this bad boy! Trust me it is brings it to another level!

• Karly replied: — September 24th, 2013 @ 8:35 am

Ooh, a toasted croissant sandwich…I’ll have to try that for sure!

2. JJ September 20, 2013 @ 6:48 am (#

Anything on a croissant automatically equals amazing.

3. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl September 20, 2013 @ 10:40 am (#

Oh goodness, this turkey gobbler totally defeats the turkey sandwich I’ve been having for dinner on those quick and lazy nights. I need to step up my game now!

4. Erin | The Law Student's Wife September 20, 2013 @ 11:19 am (#

This reminds me of the “Friends” episode where Ross loses it because someone eats his ultimate turkey sandwich. I think yours would put it to shame!

5. Annie @ Annie's Noms September 20, 2013 @ 11:58 am (#

The name of this made me laugh! I know you say we don’t need a recipe for a turkey sandwich, but this does look amazing and I’m always after new ideas for the OH’s lunch, must be so boring having the same few sandwiches every week… oops :/

6. Pat September 20, 2013 @ 1:12 pm (#

The only problem with this is I don’t have it sitting in front of me right now ~ I’m starving!! :) Thanks for sharing!

xo
    Pat

7. Angie | Big Bears Wife September 20, 2013 @ 1:24 pm (#

My mom will love this! We have a restaurant here that has a “Gobbler” and it’s all she ever gets from there haha. ! yum!

8. Sherri@The Well Floured Kitchen September 20, 2013 @ 1:33 pm (#

Who says turkey is just for thanksgiving? This seems like the perfect sandwich any time of year!

9. Apryl September 20, 2013 @ 1:34 pm (#

I have been making this for years. The only diffrence is that i will either “season” the cream cheese or use the Alluette garlic and herb cheese spread. Excellent sandwhich!

• Karly replied: — September 24th, 2013 @ 8:34 am

That’s a great idea!

10. Chris Caldwell @ World Cup of Food September 20, 2013 @ 2:14 pm (#

While familiar with the turkey-on-croissant concept, your photos make this look absolutely stunning. Great job.

• Karly replied: — September 24th, 2013 @ 8:33 am

Thank you!

11. Kirsten September 20, 2013 @ 2:15 pm (#

Karly,
    I will never roll my eyes at you if you feed me one of those Gobblers IRL. This sandwich looks delicious, and I’m so pleased to have it appear in my email inbox today.

Thank you!

12. Judy September 20, 2013 @ 2:59 pm (#

Mmmmm……looks & sounds amazing!
    Now I have a story (& recipe) for you. Years ago I worked in a mail room in the downtown area of a small town. A co-worker introduced me to a deli down the street, back when deli’s were a new thing on this coast, & a sandwich that we split because it was too big for one person to eat alone. It was called the Pink Flamingo. It’s still my go to sandwich for turkey leftovers the day, or two, or three after Thanksgiving.
    Take 2 slices of deli style bread (I like sourdough), spread one with mayonnaise & set aside, spread the other nice & thick with cream cheese then layer on cranberry sauce, lots of thin sliced turkey breast, your choice of cheese (Provolone for me) & dill pickle slices. I know, the dill pickle sounds yucky but trust me, it’s good. Top with the other slice of bread & dig in.

• Karly replied: — September 24th, 2013 @ 8:33 am

I’m all about weird food and that sandwich is just weird enough that I’d love it! :)

13. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts September 20, 2013 @ 4:33 pm (#

I love a good turkey sandwich. Putting it on a croissant is a great twist, and cream cheese – wow!

14. Marcee ... ILLINOIS September 20, 2013 @ 5:06 pm (#

Hi Karly. You have an amazing way with cooking, prepping and just showing off all the goodies!!! So love it.

A first comment …. enjoying reading your posts.

My fave w/a cold turkey sandwich must have homemade Thousand Island dressing! Tastes even better with french fries …. we bake em & often top w/fresh garlic. Sooo good.

• Karly replied: — September 24th, 2013 @ 8:32 am

Thanks so much for the sweet comment!

As for the fries and dressing…yes!! Love that. Never tried Thousand Island on a turkey sandwich though…I’ll have to give it a shot!

15. Shelly (Cookies and Cups) September 20, 2013 @ 7:37 pm (#

Yum!! Looks so good!

16. Joanne September 20, 2013 @ 7:44 pm (#

I’m thinking I’ll need to direct my family straight to this sandwich when they have T-Day leftovers this year!

17. Marcie September 20, 2013 @ 8:12 pm (#

I would gobble that Gobbler right up! I love turkey sandwiches, especially over the top good ones like this!

18. nicosnana September 20, 2013 @ 9:01 pm (#

Although this sounds good, I have been making my famous turkey sandwich for many many years!! Always leftover turkey with the following: two slices of bread, spread mayo on both,salt & pepper one slice, layer sliced turkey, dressing & cranberry slices. BIG sandwich but absolutely delicious!!!

• Karly replied: — September 24th, 2013 @ 8:30 am

That sounds amazing! Going to try it after T-Day for sure!

19. Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats September 21, 2013 @ 8:00 am (#

This looks amazing Karly! I’d be to sure gobble it right up too :)

20. Gloria // Simply Gloria September 22, 2013 @ 8:22 pm (#

I love your simple turkey sandwich! I love honey roasted, too. But my boys have been on turkey anything sandwiches…and this is the perfect one to make for them when they come home to eat lunch from school this week. Love it! Already pinned!

21. Anna September 24, 2013 @ 12:50 am (#

Have you tried this with veggie cream cheese? It’s my favorite bagel sandwich.

• Karly replied: — September 24th, 2013 @ 8:20 am

No, but now I need to!

22. DeDe in OK October 8, 2013 @ 10:24 pm (#

We make one just like this but add two slices of crisp bacon. YUM!

• Karly replied: — October 9th, 2013 @ 9:33 am

Bacon makes everything better!

23. Russell from Chasing Delicious August 20, 2014 @ 9:54 am (#

If this isn’t the best name for a sandwich ever, I just don’t know what is. Yum!